Euro 2024 Qualifying Stage

Well said @Maria. I heard an interview with Harry Kane a few years back on Radio 5 and I thought he came across as a really decent and likeable guy. His foundation does a lot of work promoting good mental health.

I hate the fact that there are certain posters who continually mock his speech impediment (same with Roy Hodgson). They are the forum equivalent of school bullies.

2 Likes

He seems a selfish player and I donā€™t like that he was made captain ahead of a real captain. Most of the players speak with speech impediments from my perspective (Iā€™m an oirish stray alien) but he doesnā€™t come across as likeable at all and his diving for pens (CF what is given for us) means canā€™t get behind him.at all.

My hunch is you donā€™t like him because he plays for another team.

Suarez had all the attributes and more that you associate with Kane. Did you like or even admire him?

If Suarez had played for City or Chelsea my guess is he would have been in the ā€œmost hatedā€ category by our fans.

It is based on football rivalry and nothing else.

Kane playing for us and scoring all those goals would have been a ā€œlegendā€.

3 Likes

I have always found Harry Kane very likeable in interviews too and has a compassionate nature. From a footballing perspective, of course he is going to be competitive, our players are competitive too, but if Kane played for us, it would be a different story.

I have never been at all comfortable when Roy Hodgson speech was mocked either. I feel sad about. Comment on his tenure as manager, not his speech his impairment

3 Likes

I donā€™t think one ā€˜has toā€™ do anything, you always have choices in life unless legally you put yourself in a position where you dont, and just because one doesnā€™t support England means you have to get behind the opposition (although personally for me that rings true)

Have no idea what youā€™re talking about Paul, I only wanted the ultras to sit him down gently and give him a calm but sincere talking toā€¦.and maybe at worst burn the flag in the process. No violence and certainly nothing more. :roll_eyes:

But yes that banner was both unacceptable and despicable nevermind the least bit uncalled forā€¦.and its things like that which incite and encourage the things you purported earlier.

My hunch is youā€™re shite at hunches. I donā€™t like Kane. There are footballers who play for direct or traditional rivals - DeBruyne; Rashford; Saka; Pulisic just for example - that I donā€™t ā€˜dislike because they donā€™t play for my teamā€™ and loads more that I donā€™t really have a thought on either way. Kaneā€™s diving and the sanctimonious BS that accompanies him as Englandā€™s main manā€™ (which was never afforded superior non London players who came before him) have much more to do with it than the fact he plays for spurs.

1 Like

That was really strange Rice and Bellingham(who had bandages everywhere) ran themselves ragged they will be useless when they return to their clubs the same with Kane he was still chasing the whole Italian back line and goalkeeper in the 88th minute!

2 Likes

And not only did he endanger his own health but the rest of the well behaved England fans imo

2 Likes

Kane swore on his daughters life he touch a ball he hadnā€™t for one goal against Stoke.

He is eithier thick in the sense that he was using a figure of speech without thinking about it.

Or he isnā€™t likeable in the slightest, though trying claim a goal most of could see he didnā€™t touch doesnā€™t much mark him out as ā€œlikeableā€.

2 Likes

For me, Kane is just meh as a character. Nothing special comes out of him. Donā€™t like him, donā€™t dislike him. Like him as a player though, very much.

3 Likes

I get you, but it is the utter vapidity of him as a character, coupled with how public facing he has been for Spurs and England, that makes him dislikeable to so many.

1 Like

you donā€™t like his sword celebration when he scores a goal?

I think heā€™s a fucking wanker.

Okay, but then thatā€™s more down to the media. Heā€™s a key player for club and country and also captain of both. Itā€™s natural that he pops out everywhere, because heā€™s asked to and most wanted. Currently, heā€™s also breaking records and thereā€™s transfer speculation, so that also adds to it. My impression of him is that he handles it calmly and professionally. Doesnā€™t have to be a philosopher and doesnā€™t act like heā€™s one to be interesting or more likeable (which I feel he generally is, his fans love him and football fans respect him). He says what he says, a bit of a boring guy who just wants to get on with playing football and thatā€™s it. Not the first, not the last. Different types of leaders, etc.

Iā€™m sorry Zoran but Iā€™m pretty old-school. I donā€™t like over-the-top celebrations, I especially donā€™t like guys who blatantly cheat like Diego Costa or Fernandinho (even if they were on my team). Kaneā€™s a diver, plain and simple.

theyā€™re footballers, not doctors finding the cure for cancer. sometimes they need to look in the mirror and realize the influence they have on the kids growing up and how they emulate the players they watch on TV? Want football to get better, be a positive influence.

at least he does charity work.

2 Likes

English born and partly-bred. So nobody else.

Kane also put himself in harmā€™s way regularly to maintain possession and duly got the shite kicked out of him by the Italians with little intervention from the ref.

2 Likes

Bellingham looked like he picked up an injury. Properly limped off

1 Like

Have to agree. Why I couldnā€™t stand Suarez as a person but Kane is not in the same league. Owen was a diver and in the early days Gerrard with his starfish dives too but because they were our players they largely escaped criticism by our own fans. That is just the way it isā€¦

If still available to view go back and look at the stick Suarez got in the two Barcelona Champions League match threads for cheating and generally being an arse. The difference? He wasnā€™t our player and so we didnā€™t condone or forgive his antics quite so much.

1 Like

I get the point, itā€™s just a game of footy and all that but, stabbing vs chanting? Sticks n stones will beak my bones but names will never hurt me comes to mind.