Ex-player: Divock ORIGI

Yes, it’s for this season.

It would have been one goal involvement every 100 minutes if he weren’t so listless last season.

what he wasn’t last season :sob:

1 Like

Fixed for accuracy

I’ve been banging on about this for the longest time, it’s not a problem for him. His entire career with us has seen goal involvements at those rates. That’s the one thing that has actually been rather consistent about him. Even Jürgen reckons he’s a great striker. The problem for him comes with being able to do everything else that our team requires from that role, which seems to have improved this season.

3 Likes

Been saying it for quite a while. Origi is better suited to a striker role- the old school type
He’s no Mané, no false 9 etc. Every time he was sent on the left wing people expected him to twist and turn and accelerate like Mané

4 Likes

He’s the nearest thing to a Sturridge your going to find, just taller. Can play left or right side but best just haging around waiting for opportunities. He only needs to find a little bit of space, technically very good.

It’s how it goes with him.

A season or two of practically nothing, then another little revival, when he feels like he wants to be sharp again.

:recycle:

But yeah, when you look at his LFC total so far, he’s a little bit short of a 1 in 3 goal involvement. That’s solid, especially with some important goals.

1 Like

…when there needs to be discussions about new contracts.

1 Like

I largely agree with you, but my first memory of Origi was from before he signed with us, playing in the World Cup for Belgium and dribbling past players on the right wing.

1 Like

Is it really him though? Is there a way we use him when he has an impact that is different to when he isn’t?

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s ability, it seems more motivation, it seems like he is playing with fire and more energy right now. He’s often looked listless and disinterested for extended periods of time. Still getting good goal returns but lacking everything else. An enigma player.

Nope, it’s not about motivation. This whole body language thing is absolutely rubbish.

If anything, he’s playing more like he knows what he should be doing in our team. Last season, when he was almost universally condemned for this “lack of passion”, we were playing far more defensively when he got chances, and notably, not only was he often just playing in Mané’s left wing position, he started doing a lot more of the defensive work that Mané did. He just didn’t seem like he could work out what he ought to be doing on the transition to attack, nor really how he could replicate the same effect that Mané has in terms of ability to just break past the defenders. He’s not nimble enough to do that, and given how much bigger he is compared to Mané, that should come as no surprise.

What he did do however, was play a solid role, and he bailed us out of trouble a couple of times (sometimes even being the last man defending a counterattack, and successfully at that). People make it all about attitude, but Jürgen has never questioned his attitude, not least during a match. If you listen to the interview answers that Jürgen gives, it’s simply about working on the small details, and the fact that Origi has ridiculous competition ahead of him.

As I’ve said over and over again, if it was about attitude, he would have been sold a long time ago for whatever we could recoup from him.

6 Likes

He would be playing for Wolves if HE (not us/Klopp) hadn’t rejected the move. That won’t be the only time he was available for sale as his Wolfsburg loan wasn’t for development. If we’d been offered enough that Summer or the summer after he’d have been gone then too. He’s been with us for 7 years and hasn’t he only signed one contract extension? After the CL heroics? He’s a nice guy who has an uncanny knack for scoring goals many of which have been either spectacular or extraordinary in another way so He’s rightly become a cult hero. But he’s had three periods of good performance for us, when Klopp first arrived, when his last contract was coming to an end and now when this contract is coming to an end/time for the option to be triggered. Can’t help but be a little cynical and suspicious. I like Origi, if this was the Origi and performances we were always going to get id be getting him to extend his deal today. But I have doubts this good period will last beyond him signing his name on a new contract.

There are not many ways how we’ve used him and we’re more or less the same side for a good few years now. It’s basically two positions we’re talking about for a good few years now.

We have evolved, but the principles, formation and type of players around him are the same, apart from obviously Klopp’s first season when he kind of went above someone like Benteke in the pecking order and would’ve possibly grabbed more minutes from Sturridge as we headed towards that final in Basel. That early Liverpool under Klopp was his chance to make more progress, although I don’t think he would’ve ever become a regular starter/key player.

Divock wasn’t always the same (which is easy to forget now when he scores a few important goals), because if he was, he would’ve played more and it would’ve been him at Liverpool instead of Solanke for the 17/18 season.

Like I said, I was happy with this deal initially, I was happy with his development in some periods of his first two seasons; 15/16 and 16/17. We can also agree that he was unlucky with some badly timed injuries, twice just while he was playing well. Then, also his little revival mid-end 18/19. But then two seasons… nah, not enough.

But there were also periods when we simply didn’t get enough from him, large periods. We played him off the left a lot, but of course it’s difficult for him to replicate the stuff Mane does.

I think when he’s in a little bit of a lighter shape and perhaps a little bit more hungrier (we’re not saying here that he’s a complete moron like Balotelli, but maybe more like Babel… and certainly not a Hendo/Robbo/Millie), he can play better.

No need to dramatize it. We’re a top side, he’s a decent player, there are perfectly good reasons in a Liverpool side led by Klopp in his 6th season why he usually doesn’t play. And if he doesn’t, it’s sometimes at least good that he can score some goals and important ones as well. It’s even better when he scores AND plays well. Hopefully those moments and this new little revival spurr him even more to play smarter/better and that will be good for all parties, us and his future.

2 Likes

Where’s your evidence of that? The only thing we’ve heard directly from people involved was Jürgen saying that no good offers came in for him this past summer. To quote him, he specifically said “teams seem to have forgotten how good he is”.

Which is nothing to do with your claim, is it? If anything, it’s evidence that the club rates him higher than you do.

Ignoring his contributions the season we won the league, of course. How convenient.

1 Like

He might be referring to the previous summer. Wolves were said to be interested, and I think may have put an offer in then.

Every league game he scored or assisted in we’d have still won if you take those goals he contributed to away. I like him and as he’s currently performing I would definitely keep him. Just got doubts about what his motivation is and where it comes from. I wouldn’t be risking my money on a bet that it’ll last beyond this season.

this issue explains Origi to a tee. He doesn’t read the game as well as Bobby or have the same technique. As such, he struggles to get involved in the play when space is limited in the middle so even when played as a striker tends to drift out to the wings where there is more room to operate. So we give him a shot in the position he seems to naturally gravitate to and still doesnt do much, at least not in not in comparison to the guys hes replacing. He is though a very good finisher and so tends to do effective work in the box between the posts.

There are things about him that make you expect so much more out of him, but at the end of the day almost all his good work for us has come as a fairly old fashioned goal hanger. I remember in that period before the Funes Mori shocker he had been on a “run of form”, but he’d mostly played stinkers just picked up important goals. There should still be more to come from him, but it seems we’re on a hiding to nothing expecting it, and if we reset those expectations we might be happier with what is still a significant contribution.

4 Likes

There’s no evidence of such an offer.

I don’t see it mentioned that he rejected the offer, which was your claim.