Ex-player: Divock ORIGI

What Divock should consider very closely is exactly what type of legacy does he want to leave the LFC fans with… At the moment his cult status due to past heroics is starting to be chipped away by certain element of fans due to poor match performances like last night… Whilst there is only so much dining out he can do on his particular goal scoring feats of the recent past… it would be a real shame if the fan percentage tide turned against him altogether…
For his own storytelling exploits in the years to come… he needs to either step up or ship out…!

Think this is accurate but not sure he needs or even can step up if you mean in terms of ability and playing style. He needs to show some hard work and effort on the pitch though. Think the lack of those are what is chipping away at the good feeling/will he had previously built up with us.

2 Likes

Big, strong, fast, good shot, decent feet… at the very least he should be a useful option to call upon, but it looks like it has all fizzled out. It’s very simplistic to say, but you have to have some fight and endeavor. Origi just looks too lackadaisical, and his career is passing him by.

There’s no doubt in my mind we will sell when we can, but if Origi’s own fans have such concerns and question marks about him, you can only imagine that is magnified at other clubs when it comes to putting their cash down to buy the player, especially in these covid times.

What I won’t do is stick the boot in on the lad (I’m not suggesting anyone else is doing that either). But sometimes it just doesn’t work, and we gave this one a lot of time to see if it would spark to life, but it just isn’t happening.

Compare/contrast Jota. Comes in, fourth choice, makes an instant impression, works hard, scores a couple, and everyone is happy with him and filled with hope about his prospects at Liverpool.

Origi will always have Barcelona, but he needs to move on as his career is going nowhere.

3 Likes

last night was the nadir for him i think

he’s been poor or quiet in most of his appearances since we won the CL, but that was diabolical

won a couple free kicks in decent areas in the early going, and then it was all bad

1 Like

He was terrible and has been for a while. He’s got all the talent in the world. The goal last season against Everton, the way he brought it down, then lobbed the keeper wasn’t a fluke. I think that’s what irritates the most, he looks like he couldn’t care less yet he should be brilliant. His passing was sloppy, on his heels instead of pressing, slow to make decisions, running with his head down.

2 Likes

I think he’s gone a bit wet and wimpy as he doesn’t show much grit for a big lad and it looks like he’s accepted that he’s not good enough without trying to prove it,very very disappointed if i’m being honest.

1 Like

Divock has lost his zing. He needs to move on. He is a pretty good player and still has age on his side. I think there’s two factors contributing to his stagnation (or even decline).

1. I don’t think he was very driven to begin with. That doesn’t mean he is lazy, just a bit laid back. Perhaps too satisfied just to be part of Liverpool. But we are playing (and competing) at a level where you need to be a near monster. Again, I’m not suggesting that he is weak mentality; he simply lack the ferocity of, say, Sadio Mane.

2. The other issue maybe the fact that his heart is no longer with Liverpool. It’s not a question about his dedication. Just like not all of us are comfortable in a high-flyer job, he prefers to be in a calmer environment. I think he will do very well in a club where things aren’t so hectic, everyday.

2 Likes

It’s in his head. He has all the talent and natural attributes you really want and he really should be a battering ram in silk cover. If you could somehow swop let’s say the intensity and intelligence of Suarez into Divock you’d probably have one of the best around. It obviously doesn’t work like that and that’s something you can’t really teach, the hunger intensity and drive comes from within. I actually think he might not actually even like football.

4 Likes

A lot of good points being made in this thread. And I’m not piling on because I like Big Div as a person, but even the commentary last night questioned out loud Origi’s endeavor and industry. Why wasn’t he making runs and making himself a target? Why was his work rate so visibly off everyone else’s? We’ve seen him light it up, he’s more than capable. Last year v Ev springs to mind. The gorgeous goal he brought the ball down over his shoulder and lobbed it over Pickford. Just as an example.

His body language on the bench after being pulled wasn’t great either. Hood up, arms folded, Hendo trying to encourage him and cheer him up.

2 Likes

Not to pick on him on a poor night in reality. But I think it’s safe to say his time here is done. Doesn’t look overly bother and doesn’t look good either. Just looks like Solanke or something alongside salah and Mane

Given his obvious apathy and lack of effort, are we even going to find a buyer?

3 Likes

Bournemouth??

4 Likes

Majority of time he’s almost like one player less in this team. We don’t see very often him starting centrally in a 4-3-3 with also Salah alongside him. In a position where we usually get twice a player, we had zero of a player. And you can’t hide that, it’s visible.

1 Like

Oh Div, I wanted to sing your song with my lad, for old time’s sake.

Future lies away from Anfield. After his heroics we would have got a good price, but these days it might be another loan, where we subsidize the wages.

I agree that it is hard to see who would buy him. You never know, but this one is fizzling out in another loan. Sad.

1 Like

I began reading this thread and it was only after I had read the first ten or so posts I was directed towards that I realised they weren’t from this evening but 28 days ago.

That says it all for me. The only thing he’s added to his game in the last 12 months has been consistency. Shame that the consistency is shite.

Another one bearing the legacy of an Evertonian assault. Doesn’t excuse the lack of application though.

As for legacy, had he gone this summer I would have bade him a fond farewell. Now I just want him out of the door. Sad to say that if he wants to preserve such legacy that he still has, he needs to leave.

10 Likes

I have long supported Divock and I still appreciate the contributions he has made.

But last night he reminded me of Joe Cole, that’s how low he has sunk. He was simply lumbering, listlessly, around the pitch.

There’s a debate that he doesn’t bring anything into a game. Well, the issue isn’t what he does or doesn’t bring but what he takes away. He absolutely ruins the team chemistry, specially among the attacking partners.

He didn’t press, close down or make run. That meant the pressing, closing down, running of Salah and Mane weren’t effective either. Our attackers operate as an unit, when one parts goes missing it doesn’t reduce effectivity, it makes the whole unit obsolete.

Please, please, Michel; work your magic one more time and off-load this Zombie in January.

3 Likes

He reacts and turns so slowly as-well . Atlanta centre backs couldn’t believe their luck they were marking him. Needs to go in January, try preserve some glory in his departure, rather than go out like Clyne.

2 Likes

Since the Barcelona game…
If whenever I saw or heard the name Origi… My mind automatically returns to the Trent corner…
Now, and this is were gets so very sad…
Whenever his name crops up… I think of a ‘Lazy Bastard’ playing in a red Liverpool kit…!
Like I said… Very sad!
Lets hope he gets another CL night to polish up his legacy…

3 Likes

By the looks of this thread, it seemed a similar performance as in previous few games. Makes me wonder is there something Klopp sees in training that he puts him in these games? We can always play players like Taki instead who needs more game time clearly? What is it we might be missing?

2 Likes

Thats exactly what Pearce said in an article today, Origi was better in Training but failed to deliver on the night.

1 Like