Ex-player: Divock ORIGI

Or as we call him in our house (well, me and my son) “Bat shit crazy!”

Anyway, Belgium.

You didn’t pick Origi.

You made your bed. Now you have to lie in it.

Martinez still stinging from what Origi did to his beloved Everton over the years :0)

3 Likes

Origi played 6 matches, one as a starter, for Milan and scored one goal, we all love him but there was no reason to select him for the WC.

Batshuayi is batshuaying goals regularly for Belgium.

:slight_smile:

Jokes on them, then. Innit. Didn’t see him batting them in all that much this go around, did we?

Looking back over his Liverpool career a clever manager would include him in his world cup squad. If he played instead of lukaku last game Belgium would still be there.

1 Like

Playing Lukaku was probably the right call. Starting Origi, had he been in the squad, would have been questionable. The decision not to have him in the squad for a situation where he’s proven to genuinely excel in like no player I can really compare him off the top of my head was just plain silly in all honesty. There was surely a place for him in that squad for a time when it merited a ‘what the hell’ be that a group stage or knockout. Even now, I’m convinced he’d have made difference against Madrid, even if it did end up going in off his arse. He found the right place, at the right time in the big games remarkably often.

5 Likes

Managers like Martinez get away with being crap at the job because it takes such a long period of time to finalise this summation of his failings… Unlike a chemical spillage for example where the damage is viewed instantaneously, football management has the advantage of unravelling poor performance issues over a longer drawn-out scenario

1 Like

I thought it was strange he went without a striker for Croatia, more surprised that Batshuayi was left on the bench when he was the only 1 who scored a goal for them in any of the group games.

Origi, whilst he’s not your typical 15-20 goals a season front man wouldv’e brought something different to this side…we all know how important fresh legs are.

KDB was really poor in the first 2 games, marginally better against Croatia but he’s been a complete myth for Belgium…Eden Hazard still being picked despite playing semi-retired for the last 3-4 years…guy did absolutely nothing.

But it’s hard to look past their 3 man defence, none of whom would get near a top 4 club anywhere in Europe.

1 Like

Scored one at the WC, had a nice run lately when Lukaku wasn’t available. 27 goals and 6 assists in 50 games for Belgium as a backup striker is a pretty good return.

Batshuayi was never in question, especially not compared to Origi.

Openda is the “new guy” + De Ketelaere can also act as a false 9. Those guys probably meant that Origi is definitely not in, especially not playing much for Milan so far this season.

Origi always struggled to get ahead of the likes of Benteke and Batshuayi in the pecking order. That is more his fault than anyone else’s. With a little chance, you need to earn more and more.

Apart from the early promise at WC14, Origi simply didn’t do much for Belgium all these years and it’s nothing special if he’s not in the squads.

Yeah, not denying that. Was more of a joke than anything else. My next comment was about starting him being questionable in any case. It’s not including him in the squad at all that is crazy imho. He’s an oddball, Origi, no doubt and I don’t think anyone would be starting him in all three WC games especially if there are other, more conventional players doing their thing consistently and should warrant a shot but Origi in that squad, in any squad, is liable to come out of whatever laid back slumber he’s in when it’s really needed. It’s happened enough times with us to know that it’s not a fluke. Not entirely intentional as it’s impossible to bottle that up and let it out on demand but certainly just… something.

That alone should have merited a place in what is a large squad size for what is essentially knock out football from game 3 onwards. Like I said, ‘break glass in emergency’. There’s no one rule to say you have to have a certain amount of defenders, midfielders or forwards.

5 Likes

I get what you are saying and you are introducing facts.

But Big Div transcends all that!

Everton winner, Barcelona winner, CL final goal… the bigger the occasion, the bigger the need, and the more this marvel of a man shines.

Belgium looked at the facts too. And they bickered and got knocked out. Origi spreads joy. He would have scored and they would have smiled.

Football without Origi is nothing!

5 Likes

Correct about the Everton and Barcelona matches but you and I also have seen numerous matches where he did nothing, and was invisible.

Origi is more of a cult hero than an excellent striker IMHO.

“Everyday football is not of much interest to Origi.” I think that was in my first post.

Of course he’s a cult hero. He’s not here. We let him go. He has physique, pace, skill, strength, a good shot… and modest achievement. They are the facts!

But it is better to enter the spirit of the Origi love in, you will feel better for it!

Damn, has it really been 4 years…

7 Likes

No way Pickford’s hand can reach the floor from that position

3 Likes

I would have taken Origi simply for that sub impact.

Some players hardly got a look in so I’m not sure why they went and I think Troussard is a good player but he looked poor off the bench and starting.

1 Like