Ex-player: Divock ORIGI

Its not his fault he is still here. He should’ve gone end of last season - maybe even go out on high after the CL final - but teams don’t currently have the £20m we wanted to take a chance for someone so inconsistent.
My heart sinks every time I see him start or come on - same with Ox - as they aren’t simply good enough and without covid they both wouldn’t be here.

3 Likes

I think that’s too shortsighted a view. Prior to last season, people were still viewing Ox as a great option even just off the bench, let alone starting. It’s only now that he’s started getting a poor reputation, even though he played many games in a league-winning season for us. The same can be said about Origi, except to a lesser extent on both.

What both of them have in common is that we are in a slump, and one or two players aren’t going to be changing that much in the grand scheme of things, but they somehow bear the burden of rescuing the players who are starting ahead of them. If Jota was fit now, I have a feeling we’d start seeing him get abuse as well, sooner or later. Just because the current prevailing narrative about both players is that they’re shite doesn’t make it so, just like they weren’t world-class when we won the Champions League either. They’re both just good players who are great options to have around, that aren’t going to magically transform our game when they come in. I think it’s criminally underrated how Jürgen doesn’t do “game-changing” or “game-winning” substitutions, because as Rafa said, if you have to change the game with your substitutions, you’ve got something terribly wrong in the way you set up to begin with. What happens more often than not, is we get minor tactical tweaks, facilitated by the introduction of players with subtly different characteristics (or in Origi’s case, not so subtle) that can tip what is often a fine margin between winning and not winning.

Sure, Origi’s play isn’t the easiest on the eye, but just remember. One of the things that Jürgen has demonstrated a good level of competence in is player selection. Under him, Origi has seen off the challenges of Solanke (who’s not doing too bad now), Brewster, Minamino, and others to still be our prime option off the bench. He clearly has some traits that the management team values, even if it’s hard for us supporters to necessarily see. Just as an example, despite near universal condemnation of his performance against Brighton, he was still the player who progressed the ball the most, despite having come on as a substitute.

I doubt he’ll ever be a consistent starter for us, but for a player who doesn’t cost too much, doesn’t rock the boat, and has a role to play, I think we should not be too quick to bin him off.

1 Like

Sorry but Origi is not a good player or a great option. He also doesn’t fit our style of play very well.

I find it ironic you’re claiming its just been this run, if anything this is one of his best personal runs in his time here. Probably third behind that couple of months toward the end of Klopps first partial season and the period leading up to the CL final including the Everton and Barca goals.

Origi has been limited and many have recognised that for quite some time. Klopp has tried to move him on several times but even if he had “beaten” the other options its not a ringing endorsement.

Sturridge was practically playing on crutches, on an expensive contract that wound down. So far Brewster and Solanke seem Championship standard, hope for their sakes they develop more and reach higher. Minamino isn’t even a CF but Klopp explained due to the lack of size in the side that’s one of the reasons he wasn’t getting used and he hadn’t acclimatised to the league yet.

Unfortunately Origi doesn’t have a skill set that matches well with our play. Has been in awful form almost the whole time since LFC bought him (even the Everton and Barca goals were more about being in the right place for lucky opportunities to tap in than skill or play) and for over a year now he’s been playing like he’s not arsed about anything.

His lack of effort and giving it a real go is what’s killing me. We’ve seen him be up for it in the past and we know what it looks like. He just doesn’t seem to care.

1 Like

Not having that.

The goal he scored off the corner against Barcelona was brilliant movement; the bundled opportunity against Pickford was a striker doing his job well and getting in the right position to capitalise on a keeper’s error.

And his goals against the Bitters last season were top drawer.

4 Likes

Yes. Origi has, or had, that instinct of a typical striker. That’s, perhaps along with his physicality, what sets him apart from our other attackers and perhaps that’s why Klopp see him as an alternative.

I will give him the credit for having the instincts to get in the right place at the right time but if a single Barca player is awake for that quick corner it doesn’t reach him. He had a free header at the perfect height/weight/speed cross. If he hadn’t scored he should be sacked. There was nothing skillful about the Pickford goal it literally bounces off his noggin on the line because the Trex armed one fucked up so badly. People go on about his scoring record that season that got him a new contract but those two goals completely screwed the figures because of how little he actually played.

One of the effects of covid on football has been that most deals have dried up. Teams are cautious, while they try to navigate their way through this situation with depleted resources.

So… let’s take a player like Origi. Cult hero for some important goals, early promise, but generally failed to kick on and become the player we need.

In a ‘normal’ world there would be suitors. Somewhere in the pecking order someone would have given us the cash to take him off our hands. It wouldn’t have been a huge amount, but it would have been half decent, as teams had money to take their own calculated gamble on a player like Origi. They would have looked at him and seen size, speed, shooting… and perhaps thought, OK, there’s value here. If we give him regular football this will pay off for us…

Unfortunately we are not in a normal world, so the natural turnover of players is massively reduced, as people just aren’t doing very many deals.

So a guy like Origi is a bit stuck. He knows he isn’t the player we need. We know it too. But the ability to move it all on and gain a much needed fresh start is hindered.

So yes, it starts to smell a bit more rotten than it might, as he has outstayed his welcome, but we have to see the wider circumstances and be as charitable as possible.

3 Likes

Would be happy if we can replace him with Awoniyi.

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem like he will get that permit any time soon. Plus, who knows what’s his quality (if someone saw him play for a good few games, let’s hear it!). I expect him to be sold this summer.

2 Likes

The goal against Barca was good movement? Or the fact he reacted quickly? I’d say it was 90% Trents quick thinking and Origi being at the right place and 10% reacting before Barca.

He is probably the most frustrating player I’ve witnessed here over Klopp reign. He has all the tools to be a devastating forward.

I forget which team, think it was Burnley but he ran between the lines once and Thiago got the ball to him and he should have scored… So yes he clearly does know how to make runs… Here lies the problem, all the tools but applies them about once a game.

There was a period before he got injured by that Everton twat of 3 months when he was unplayable… So yes I agree he has everything needed, but here we are can’t displace Bobby who is pretty much a liability…

For someone who is clearly 4th choice does he put the effort in when he gets the chance? Not for me, not even close.

2 Likes

Just found a strange calculation about Divock…
He been strutting around the pitch like a peacock ever since ‘that’ banner about him was unfurled and put on display…
Maybe he has found all the fame he ever wanted eh!!

1 Like

Spot on, most of the creation of THAT goal was down to Trent spotting that Div was open, he still had to finish it.

2 Likes

So Origi is staying… :innocent:

1 Like

Man of the match tonight.

4 Likes

Right.

No, not really

2 Likes

He should be signed as our new crossing coach!

1 Like

I’ll give him some kudos he came on and tried.

1 Like

Yeah, he showed lots of efforts and energy in his last couple of games.

Good assist, accuracy and power.

5 Likes

Peach of a cross from Origi, hard to defend against and put it on a plate for Mane to score.

7 Likes