Ex-player: Jordan HENDERSON

His decision will forever divide opinions. I don’t feel so strongly about his move to SA. To me, his time here fully epitomises why I think LFC is such a special club. A club where you can be labelled as cannot make it and yet work hard and became the captain who won everything in club football. I will forever remember his hug and crying with his dad when we won the CL, it just meant alot to him as much it meant to us.

We can all have different emotions and reaction to him leaving for SA but for a great servant of the club,YNWA Hendo. Thanks for the memories.

8 Likes

I have nothing but respect for Hendo. I remember watching him play for Sunderland as an energetic box to box player and without much thought felt he had potential never considered him a Liverpool player.
I remember when we signed him, he played in an U21 international tournament and they played him as CM almost DM and I was not impressed.
It is safe to say he did not set the world alight in his first couple of seasons with us but I always respected the fact he wanted the ball, and did not hide.
I personally believe his career/belief changed for the better when he scored that goal against Norwich outside of the area under Rodgers - after he tried to offload him to Fulham - I will always remember the passion he showed in his celebration.
To me he is the perfect example of a captain, someone who had to work on being proven, someone who is selfless and wants to help other players, someone who talks/shouts, forget that soft inspiration, true leaders talk, help, encourage, cover, etc.
I can happily hold my hand up and say I am both proud and privileged to have had Henderson captain my beloved team and with great success.

Regarding the whole LGBTQ thing… Being a straight male, my thoughts although with complete respect are from a different perspective. Hendo, has been a prominent voice in support/promotion of the LGBTQ community and for this he should be respected.
My (maybe uneducated) view is that the LGBTQ should appreciate the support people like Henderson has given, rather than criticise/judge their motives, turn their back on them.
Change only happens when people challenge the narrative. Maybe, someone with the profile of Henderson playing is SA will encourage discussion/conversation about these prejudices?? But then again, maybe it is all about the money :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Unfortately Henderson being a prominent supporter of LGBT rights and then going to work for the government of Saudi Arabia does not encourage a conversation on human rights in SA, it only sportwashes it and makes casual observers assume things aren’t too bad. Which is kind of the whole point of them signing him.

11 Likes

All PR stuff, training with new team before any official announcement. He lost all my respect.

Shame that a captain who won it all had to now out with a whimper.

Thanks for everything you’ve done in the LFC shirt and hope you don’t choke on the oil money.

Nothing in twitter from the club wishing Henderson well etc. That’s telling, unless there’s something waiting to be published.

1 Like

Couldn’t make it to the end of the video he posted. So robotic and cringeworthy.

It’s a video absolutely no-one on any side wanted to do, but felt they had to because he was our captain.

1 Like

This.

Let’s not pretend it’s about anything else.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Jordan Henderson (CM) to Al-Ettifaq:

Under Klopp a huge number of players have had a send off: this summer we even had the likes of Keita and AOC getting plaques; previously Lalalana also got fussed over. It screams Jordan pulling a fast one rather than a mature conversation at the end of season that we’d be open to moving him on. I think the club didn’t plan this and, as captain, he’s really left in a bad way here.

Sorry pls merge with existing thread? Thanks Mods

O.M.G. I hope this has been edited (won’t bother looking for the original) but “when al (whatever) come knocking it’s hard to say no”
Jordan won’t even have heard of them 3 months ago.

It’s an edited version made by a fan.

Here’s the simple answer

Donald Duck Money GIF

1 Like

Yeah its about money.
Why would you choose to not play in 60,000 at home with the most passionate fan base behind you in the best league in the world…over playing for a team that would struggle in most Sunday leagues and only get 7500-10000 a week. Answer…Money.

I dont blame him - he is 33 and this offer wont be coming when he is 34. He only needs to play until 35 now and can then walk off with un-taxed millions in the bank.

If the Fabinho deal is completed, the club will receive a total of £52 million from both transfers. Should the club keep the Saudi money or donate every pound to LGBTQ charities?

1 Like

The answer to most questions about a person’s conduct is either sex, money or drugs.

He was never the most gifted or talented footballer, but he played with a passion and a determination that was an inspiration to others in the team. One of the greatest captains we’ve ever had. He’s up there alongside the likes of Gerrard and Emlyn Hughes, but unlike those two he’s a very likeable bloke who, so I thought, had a strong moral compass.

Turns he out he’s yet another paragon who has feet of clay. Of course, that he means he’s just like most people, but the next time I hear a footballer getting on his, or her, moral high horse and speaking on social issues, I will have to wonder just how genuine his or her words are.

Take the money and run, Jordan, but don’t expect to be admired for it.

2 Likes

He probably knows that he can comeback after his contract and then revert back to his support of LGBTQ and possibly get himself tolerated (if not accepted) by the community.

Even do a tearful apology types (after getting the saudi money ofcourse).

No-one ever said the club should not have dealings with Saudi Arabia. The issue here is Henderson’s personal hypocrisy in going there despite what he’s said regarding some social issues, gay rights in particular.

1 Like