Ex-player: Jordan HENDERSON

Not being massive social media person, what’s the general feeling outside this forum? Same with Gerrard I guess.

No sitting on the fence here.
:+1:

2 Likes

Usual. 10% of the tweeters are sensible. 45% either way (YNWA hendo/fuck off Hendo) are frothing.

They did.
That’s their standard.
Reminds me of the anecdote of a middle eastern teacher guilding the class on how to pronounce the word “nature”.
It was broken into 3 syllables thus: nah too rey.

I’m with Klopp, Henderson is a legend.

3 Likes

Too skint to even not do a voice which isn’t computer generated.

Someone is going to get paid if not Hendo. As a financial decision it makes sense for him I suppose. It’s known there is no sporting prestige in this decision.

I don’t mind if he suspends his convictions (if they were ever there) while farming extra money for a few years in the desert, comes out at the end being able to provide healthy contributions to social and/or LGBT organizations etc. effectively using SA’s money to help fund the things the regime are against.

Would be a palatable redemption and robin hood kind of story, but I’m not holding my breath.

Look on the otherside, his sale for 12m and his wages off the books allow us to get other players to improve the squad, who else would pay us 12m for a 33 year old

I personally have no grudge with Henderson leaving… and I am definitely not going to let that Saudi regime leave a sour taste, or poison my images of him lifting the silverware above his head, surrounded by the best ever squad, LFC have possibly ever assembled, playing the best football any Liverpool fan has ever witnessed…!
We will be seeing, and reminded of these unbelievable times over and over again in the coming years… Jurgen hugging Hendo, Hendo hugging Jurgen on these past great nights… Not letting them slimey bastards take that away from me - I hope he goes over there, and maybe not right at the beginning, but when his honeymoon period is over with them and sees the way things are… he starts to remonstrate and start calling them out… what they going to do… he too high profile to send him home in a suitcase…!
I feel there will be more chapters to come with Hendo… I am just watching this space with supportive interest that he does what he needs to do… and open that massive grid of his and calls these fuckers out for the scum that they are

3 Likes

I’d say 75% frothing at the mouth and the rest supportive. Probably 50% of those frothing at the mouth see it as manna from heaven so they can stick the boot into a player they never rated because they have no understanding of the game.
It’s worth repeating Liverpool FC have had an academy in Saudi for some time so maybe some will have the courage of their convictions and turn their back on the club?
Nah, I don’t think so either.

1 Like

Khashoggi worked for the most famous paper in the US and was arguably the most well known Arab commentator on the Arab world in the west. He didnt even get a suit case. They just called the Tiger squad, disposed of him and then pretended they knew nothing of it reveling in the fact they knew no one believed them.

Asking LIV golfers from the comfort of the US to take on this regime is one thing. Asking someone physically in Saudi to do it is to wish them dead.

4 Likes

Apparently the Sand scum:

Al-Ettifaq announced the signing of Henderson with a video montage of his career. In it, the then Liverpool captain’s rainbow armband is doctored to appear in black and white.

1 Like

Yes… they greyed the rainbow armband, I’ve already posted that video somewhere above.

1 Like

I’ve got some magic beans if you belief that.

Evidently he’s gone there because he is a greedy player who wants to make a bit more more money he doesn’t particularly need and before you go “oh he has a long retirement” if he can’t work out how to invest money he earns in a year to last him a lifetime then it isn’t the amount of money he has that’s the issue.

Bonuses, wages and so on nearly 1m a month, you could make the basic buy of gold and be secure.

As for the mention of an academy out there by someone else, if Liverpool have got one then it’s not producing much. And in fact that’s the kind of thing that would be far more useful for the people of Saudi. Not another lazy footballer near the end of his football life stealing their resources.

2 Likes

It’s also a near guarantee that he could walk into coaching work the second after he retires.

2 Likes

Pretty disappointed just now.
Always liked Hendo in the 12 years he was here, always gave 100% and was not a show pony.
Last season time seemed to have caught up with him a bit,and it was probably time to go.
Don’t be grudge him chasing money, my disappointment comes from where he has gone, flies in the face of things he has seemed to support…going to Saudi Arabia shows what other on here have called him,a hypocrite,is close to the mark.

3 Likes

Don’t know how old his kids are, but imagine if one of them turns out to be gay.
Awkward breakfast table conversation about why they can’t come and watch dad today

1 Like

https://twitter.com/JoeRimmer88/status/1684812345741058048?s=20

3 Likes

I was just about to post the Paul Amann letter. I’ll stick it here so no-one has to crash their devices on the Echo website:

"An open letter to Jordan Henderson,

We have previously thanked you for your solidarity with LGBT+ people. We’ve massively appreciated your choice to include us in programmes, and to condemn LGBT+ phobia. We have cheered you on as a Liverpool player and valued you as a captain that has brought every cup home for us.

Your values seemed the perfect fit for our city and for our club. You spoke in an authentic way about equality, about dignity and human decency. You spent 12 years with us, delivering performances on and off the pitch that saw you lauded. You were nominated as a British LGBT Ally of the year, based on the allyship you proclaimed.

You had the opportunity to leave Liverpool with a proper Anfield send off. Your very well paid contract had another 2 years to run. Players of your age and ability are still sought after by clubs across the world not located in oppressive regimes. You had the chance to demonstrate to your family, teammates, fans and the footballing world that footballers can be principled and stand by their convictions.

Your choice to take up a contract with Saudi Arabian based Al-Ettifaq flies in the face of the values you have previously publicly championed. In Saudi Arabia, Amnesty International has found the following:

Torture used as a punishment

Executions on the rise

No free speech

No protests

Women are widely discriminated against

Torture in police custody is common

You can be arrested and detained for no good reason

Religious discrimination is rife

Migrant works have been deported en masse

Human rights organisations are banned

Additionally, homosexuality can result in the death penalty. This is a far cry from the values you have previously publicly championed.

For raising these concerns about your decision to go, Kop Outs has seen many decent people amplify our messages. Sadly, this has also seen some vile messages posted to us, by so called fans supportive of your decision to go to Saud Arabia.

Your choice to side with our oppressors has seen most of members absolutely shocked and angry. Many find this choice unforgiveable.

You will always be a legend, a captain who brought home everything. However, as a man, your failure to keep to the principles you championed leaves you much diminished.

You’re not the first to go, and may not be the last. It is deeply concerning that Gerrard has gone, especially given he had a former teammate Robbie Rogers who was an out gay man, such a betrayal of trust to a former teammate. Robbie Fowler’s choice to manage in Saudi Arabia is also deeply disappointing. There were other options for all concerned to ply their trade in places not mired in human rights breaches. Options to play and manage in places with perhaps more sustainable football leagues. Fulham’s Marco Silva has twice turned down offers to play, and has stuck by his principles.

At Kop Outs we are concerned that the movement of players and managers to Saudi Arabia will have a chilling effect on the likelihood of players to show their future support for LGBT+ rights. They may worry that their words may come back to haunt them if they also seek to go to a place like Saudi Arabia.

Actions speak louder than words. Your choice has left many Kop Outs members feeling hurt and betrayed, as your actions have left your words questioned. If you want to be an ally, be active, and be consistent."

I think this sums up the disappointment that LGBT fans feel at the moment. The inclusive nature that FSG have been trying to promote and that Henderson has been a part of still remain. This move doesn’t change that but it does seem unlikely that Henderson can in any way promote that at his new club.

I think part of the problem is that it makes it look like Henderson was only promoting minority rights as a contractual obligation and that will cause issues to any other players at the club who would like to do this. It’s one thing that I really like about how the club is run that it is welcoming to all: come as yourself, respect others and leave any prejudices on the Breck Road. It doesn’t have to be that way and the club would be much worse for it.

Aside from this, I’m still rather saddened at Henderson leaving and the manner that he has gone. I’ve always liked the guy and I suspect that it is ultimately in everyone’s interest that he is going, but it is very much the end of an era.

7 Likes

It would be interesting to know the views of the LGBT fans of Newcastle United. I’m sure they’ve had plenty to say about Henderson moving to Saudi, but how do they reconcile with the Saudi ownership of their club. Do they speak out against it?

4 Likes