Ex-player: Neco WILLIAMS

Same hairstyle.

Whatā€™s his position on Golf?

1 Like

Above Real Madrid on priority list? Just as long as its below Liverpool!

This is drastically over stated. Our FBs are excellent because they are excellent at doing the stuff every FB is expected to do. The fact Trent does other stuff is gravy, but heā€™s in the side in that role not because Klopp has some unique perspective on what he wants his FBs to do, but because heā€™s the best in the world and bog standard FB stuff.

In terms of how that factors into Necoā€™s prospects, itā€™s going to purely down to how his own development goes in those same bog standard FB responsibilities.

1 Like

100 million from Real Madrid?

2 Likes

He likes Golf?

I donā€™t think it is overstated at all.

Of course Trent is a brilliant full back. But the reason we get the most out of him is because he can play that role and because Klopp has developed a system that allows him to be our playmaker from the right wing.

1 Like

Yeah shouldnā€™t be forgotten that when Milner was left back for a season he set a new record for assists in the Champions League. Donā€™t think its just because Trent came through in that position. Wasnā€™t accidental that both Robertson and Tsimikas had crossing as one of their main strengths when we bought them.

1 Like

Get him playing on the wings!

Edit; Absolutely tearing Belgium apart, not sure how he hasnā€™t got a goal or assist.

1 Like

Played really well tonight. Full back in a 5 seems to suit him really well, maybe even further forward. On left seems to work really well too.

Unlucky not to score in the second half. Great effort.

2 Likes

I feel like Iā€™m turning into a Neco fanboy or something but this play deserved a goal!

4 Likes

ManƩ protege or a conventional RW :shushing_face:

2 Likes

Winter is not the best judge of players in my opinion but stuff like this isnā€™t doing Neco any disservice. Great to hear it, hopefully he can kick on from here.

4 Likes

And to think he was available for a reported Ā£10m last summer and no one wanted him.

5 Likes

Difficult to judge whether it was the way Belgium played but Neco certainly did himself no harm whatsoever last night in what turned into quite an advanced left sided role. He covered a heap of ground as well, in getting back. I was honestly really impressed with him. But Belgium were really open at times but thereā€™s food for thought here.

People writing him off need to look again. We need to hold onto him for now and try to develop him further, thereā€™s something in there for sure. Iā€™m not 100% that full back in our current Klopp mold is actually his best position.

3 Likes

Edwards has fucked himself with the fees heā€™s got for the likes of Solanke, Ibe and Brewster. Ā£10m for Neco, people must have been thinking Edwards thinks heā€™s shit. He should have quoted Ā£35m plus and they would have been biting our hands off :rofl:

1 Like

I donā€™t think Neco is good enough, yet, to play RB/RWB in our system. Probably the reason Klopp hasnā€™t tried him too often. He was troubled in the early part of last nightā€™s games too. But he clearly has an attacking flair and may yet evolve as an attacker. Didnā€™t he play well in League Cup game when Klopp shifted him further upfield!

We donā€™t play with a traditional right back, nor do we play with a traditional right winger. Hence why Neco may struggle to get time here.

Trent is basically a right sided central midfielder, Neco simply doesnā€™t have anywhere near the short/long passing game to play that role.

Salah plays as a right forward but is always the most forward player and always drifting in centrally, Neco looks good on the run but always when he has spaceā€¦ We primarilly play against very defensive teams so the ability to link up play and play in tight spaces is key and Iā€™ve yet to see evidence of this level for Neco.

So itā€™s not that Neco isnā€™t a good player, heā€™s actually an excellent traditional right back but always seems out of place in our team. Heā€™d fit well as a left back actually as we ask Robbo to play that more traditional up and down, provide the overlap type roleā€¦ Yet I wouldnā€™t be starting him over Kostas just yet.

The Mane role? Maybe thatā€™s his opportunity with the AFCON coming upā€¦

2 Likes

He was fine running Belgium ragged last night. He didnā€™t always have space. Belgium arenā€™t mugs either we are talking at least the equivalent level of your Portos or upper table Italian teams here.

Neco is one of those great options in that he can, and has, done a job at a high level at both RB and LB. Has had minutes for us at RW and being a right footer who can score and assist could really be reinvented as a rather decent LW.

I donā€™t think it should be held against him that heā€™s not a Trent style playmaker at RB. Heā€™s a decent enough RB when played there, not great defensively but not a liability. Able to get involved in build up play, lay on assists and get the occasional goal. Before Trent and Robbo we were crying out literally begging for fullbacks like that for years. Glen Johnson, Riise style (Aurelio more like a not quite as good Trent but destroyed by injuries). He isnā€™t Trent and probably wonā€™t ever be. But nobody else ever will be either so itā€™s an unattainable target.

Based on what I saw last night he seems to be a player that can and is willing to run and drive forward with the ball at feet. Heā€™s more comfortable knowing thereā€™s some defensive cover behind but is more than willing to track back and do his bit.

Heā€™s vastly different to TAA and Robertson but thatā€™s no bad thing. The concern I have is where Klopp seeā€™s him in our current set up. Iā€™d almost be prepared to try him in Maneā€™s place rather than as a back up to Robertson or TAA. Remember Bale as a full back? Heā€™s not a million miles away from that same type of player.

3 Likes