Ex-player: Neco WILLIAMS

I was very clear I rate him so nothing is being held against him, the problem is we have a very clearly defined structure on the right hand side of the pitch… It revolves around Trent and his movement inside, the right midfielder pushing up and being the overlap and the right forward linking it together and then getting into the box. Playing a more traditional up and down right back would take time to adjust for all 3 positions and it’s bad enough our right back spot keeps being vacated due to our new set up not being bedded in, imagine the chaos we’ll see if we try and switch again!

I really like him, and always have. It takes a lot to be anywhere near our first team at 19 years of age. I don’t think he’s let us down covering Trent.

If he becomes a lad who can play any wide position, that’s a great option to have.

5 Likes

I wasn’t saying you don’t rate him but I think you’re missing the point I was rubbishly trying to make. Trent is unique, nobody can do what he does and certainly not to the level he does, some can do bits that he does and some can even do those bits to the same level or even slightly better. But nobody can replicate what Trent gives us. So there’s no such thing as Trent not playing and us not having to adjust those positions anyway. By either moving Neco on or to a different position all you’d be doing is moving that criticism to whoever replaces him as the RB back up. We’ve got to view RB and Trent like we view CB with VvD and GK with Alisson. We’ve got a strong contender for a best in the world type who is actually near enough unique. Best we can hope for as back up of a quality but less unique, more run of the mill type, backing them up. We lose something when they don’t play we just have to cope as well as we can.

Can see him pushing for a move if we don’t teach later stages of League Cup and FA Cup.

He should be able to play the right sided midfielder role too. Considering the injury problems we have with midfielders, won’t be the best but trying to see if he can play that role in league and FA cups might help us out

I think we need to separate what Trent can and does do from the RB role from what Klopp requires from the RB. It’s like saying we wont bother with any forward unless they can receive their ball with to goal, sit 3 defenders on their arse before scoring from a tight angle on their weak foot just because we see Salah doing it.

Trent is the anomaly not the requirement. Even in that more traditional perspective I’m honestly not seeing the same quality in neco that others are. I get a lot of Flanno vibes from him. Decent , eager and hard working, which are traits that will go a long way, but just not quite with the quality required at this level. And that’s…

1 Like

‘Why would you play the best backup RB in the world as a midfielder’

Don’t stop now!!! You had me on tenderhooks.

Personally I think he’s an ok full back in what we ask from our fullbacks, but far more promising in a different, more advanced role in a wide position.

I’d be seriously tempted to put him in Mane’s position for one of the upcoming cup games. There’s a chance here that we end up with a player that can provide cover at full back and further forward. The possible value from that is massive.

1 Like

Whenever I think of Neco and his development I think back to Kuyt.

1 Like

No, the rest is behind the paywall.

Noo GIF by SB Nation

We have too much time on our hands (over)thinking alternative options or thinking Klopp will go for them.

I don’t see Neco playing the wide forward role (even during AFCON), even if it’s nice that he’s able to cover a few positions (like both full back positions and sometimes coming on the wing off the bench). Only if there’s like a serious injury crisis.

Good for him that he’s using the Wales game time the best he can. We either have him ready for more minutes here or he attracts more interest in coming transfer windows.

1 Like

Who do you see starting wide for us during the AFCON instead? At the moment, based on form and experience, I’d be choosing from Neco, Jota and Minamino. Don’t like Ox there, may be too much too soon for Gordon or Blair. Origi is possibly injured or even needed at CF.

It’s probably going to be Jota.

1 Like

If fit, I’d take Elliott. Was used as the Right Forward last season for Blackburn and did damn well, so I would be prepared to give him a look

1 Like

Well yeah but he might need to play central sometimes and he can only play one of the two positions even if playing wide forward.

Playing very well for Wales in a couple of different positions.

Interesting Klopp even seemed to concede he may be better further forward.

2 Likes

I don’t think we need to “define” him to a specific position. So long as he’s with us, his best quality and his best route to starting games is going to be his versatility.

I love the boy, but do I see him nailing down a consistent start for us before he gets the rabbit, in any position? Probably not.

As long as he’s here, can he do a job here, there and everywhere? I think so.

3 Likes

Keep up the good work, lad. There will be lots of games for you this season. :clap: