Ex-player: Neco WILLIAMS

After 3 years (but really 2 full seasons in total) of that backup role, I think he’ll want to go out and play. He will be 21, so he has time. Same might happen with Kelleher down the line.

1 Like

I am. Can’t even back it up. No idea what mezzala means. I like it when Neco runs fast, though.

2 Likes

I’m not sure Klopp fancies him, even as a back up.

It is one of those hipster Pep Coke-iola roles designed to allow people who know bugger all about footbal sound smarter than they are.

Think of Iniesta in the Barca 3 man midfield drifting from midfield into those ‘half’ positions not quiet on the wing, but not quiet a No. 10 position

1 Like

Neco managed just 477 mins with us (as opposed to 524 mins already with Fulham) in a season where we are going strong in four competitions. It’s prudent if chooses to move on for regular minutes which is crucial for his development.

Then I would not play him as a mezzala.

1 Like

I only know about it because of playing football manager. It’s supposedly a role similar to a Box to Box midfielder. It’s supposedly what Keita is

If Fulham go up there is a chance to utilise that and I’m sure both clubs and player would be fine with that. He’s still very young and unless we get blown away with an offer I’d try a year long loan.

1 Like

Remember when Brendan “flipped the triangle”? Depending on the orientation of that triangle you either have a pair of mezzalas in front of a holding mid, or a single trequartista in front of a double pivot.

Neco is none of those.

1 Like

He’s got time to learn to play in a right sided central midfield role though.

I think the player he’s probably most similar to is Seams Coleman. A fairly meat and potatoes player, but who looks like he could be a competent to good orthodox FB at the prem level. In terms of flexibility I dont think there is much there, but in some less than typical formations (WB in a 3CB set up…RM in an old fashioned 4-4-2 at a push) he might be able to handle.

2 Likes

In addition to the above, when the player at the base is considered a play maker rather than primarily a defensive shield, that player is sometimes called a Regista. Neco isnt that either.

I do think there’s a reasonably good footballer there who can adapt to play further up the pitch. He can be a traditional Winger in a the olden style 4-4-2. But also Liverpool if you see with their midfielders , You see the likes of Henderson/Elliot going much more forward and wider during the link up play with Salah. This aspect is something that a Neco can look at. Drifting wider onto the sides and then getting the cross in from the byline. If you notice , Trent’s game has evolved wherein he’s essentially staying more to the central midfield areas right now when going forward and crossing from afar (ostensibly to get the early cross in once the opponents look to knock the ball long etc).

We would be stock full there with Elliot also being somewhat of an understudy to Henderson there as well. But I don’t see Neco having a chance of regular games as a Right Back. Not when Trent is there. I do think he can press well enough to be a midfielder.

This is , If He can adapt to the role change. It might well be not in his best interest and he might not be keen either. But the only pathway I can see for him to get more regular times for the liverpool XI (in two years time) is on the midfield.

I’m not sure Liverpool ever need a Regista. I can understand someone like Thiago who comes in and does play the killer pass. But he’s got his share of defensive duties as well. I think that role of a regista is perhaps outdated in Liverpool’s , Pep’s sides when the requirement is off the entire teams to have their fair share of defensive duties.

I don’t think even Neco’s family had so much thought/hopes about him playing different positions.

:joy:

3 Likes

Same like Nat Phillips ever thought he’d be owning the likes of Zlatan in a Champions League match

1 Like

Hmm, that’s a nice comparison, though Coleman in his prime was a pretty explosive fullback over the first few yards. I don’t think Neco has that advantage, unfortunately, but maybe he just needs an uninterrupted year of football or two in order for me to see what he’s really capable of.

1 Like

I’d like to see him as a barista, spezializzato, generalissimo and conquadistor.
If he could combine those roles he be quite a giocatore.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Scored another.

1 Like