Ex-player: Rhian BREWSTER

Damn, it pains me to a see a poster whose opinion I value highly effectively writing off a player I really want to succeed :pensive:

Hand on heart, itā€™s likely that @Sweeting is correct, and certainly the times Iā€™ve seen Brewster (before his Swansea loan) Iā€™ve been left with the feeling that heā€™s missing that X factor that marks out the truly top players even at his age. For example, it was obvious from his first preseason appearance with the seniors that Trent had it.

But with that said, Iā€™d hate for us to sell him before heā€™s had a season to show what he can do for us - even Solanke got that much.

I wonder if a potential move - for some games at least - to a 4231 is an attempt to get Brewster more involved in games. You could easily see him having a role to play with Bobby behind him in a deeper role (deeper on paper at least, as we know Bobby generally plays deep even when heā€™s the nominal CF) and Mo and Mane either side of him. Those then being supported by a base of two from Hendo, Fab, Keita and Gini/Thiago (not so sure about Ox though).

Definitely think itā€™s worth a shot before we give up on him.

4 Likes

I think at this stage it would be a bit senseless to sell him. Would hope weā€™d be at least giving him some opportunities leading up until January, if we need to re-evaluate then and loan him out so be it. Iā€™m sure heā€™d do a stellar job wherever he ends up and his value wouldnā€™t depreciate significantly regardless.

I too have some doubts about his ability in terms of possessing an all round game and not just being a penalty box striker, but Iā€™d also say I think he has more of a chance of making it here than the likes of Wilson and Grujic.

1 Like

Obviously if we are considering selling him it is to fund other players, 20m for him buys Ajer from Celtic
But only pays half of the Sarr fee so what do we do? Personally I would sell and bring in Ajer but with a buy back clause.

Or it pays somewhere between 66%% and 75% of Thiago. Various reports saying 30M is the Bayern price but will potentially drop to around 25M, so if they do drop to 25M then the 20M for Brewster would be roughly 75% of the fee covered

1 Like

https://youtu.be/UFse3AwjLtQ

1 Like

Its always a shame to see a young player who most thought had a real chance come up short especially when a bad injury has had a lasting impact on his chances. 20M might be good business as long as itā€™s reinvested back into the squad where itā€™s needed.

3 Likes

Would rather see him stay another season over selling him now, given his contract reportedly ends in 2023. If by the winter transfer window heā€™s not making an impact, loan him out and then sell him next summer.

Itā€™s disappointing that that weā€™ve not had much luck with young strikers of late, that looked promising. Duncan leaving for a sucker punch, but he was being a bit of a arse so was better to get shot when we did.

Never say never though. Heā€™s got talent and he could suit us in a 4231 where his requirement to play intricate football will be limted. But in that case, we know Big Div is good at that.

2 Likes

I hope the lad succeeds here. Putting the ball in the back of the net is the hardest thing to do in football, and it is why the goal scorers traditionally attract a higher price.

Then again, if his all round game isnā€™t quite what we need, we arenā€™t in a position to mess about with something less than what we need. This is part and parcel of breathing the rarified air at the top. If you want to get on this particular Liverpool bus you have to be special.

We donā€™t know for sure how this will pan out. Maybe he stays and scores a lot of goals for us. Maybe he goes on loan to a Prem club, so we have more data to go on. Or maybe we sell him now. We just donā€™t know.

Hereā€™s what I can say with confidence. I trust our recruitment team. I trust Klopp, Edwards and the rest of them to do the right thing.

Be disappointed if we let him go in a permanent.

Lon to a PL club I could live with but then he needs to deliver if he is to have a future here

1 Like

They will have to sell him now because the demand is there right now if they wait his price might not even be this high. These rumours are happening now because clubs saw him score at Swansea, while that image is fresh in their minds, some of these guys will pay over the odds for a goal scorer like this. Waiting would mean a situation like Harry Wilson right now, where people want a lower asking price from us.

The other obvious option would be to once again loan the kid with intention to sell. Not a fan of that move cause that would mean funds would only be available later.

I personally donā€™t think heā€™s good enough for us but then again which percentage of professional footballers are?

Iā€™d look for a 25 million deal with maybe a 20% sell on clause. Would fund another attacker anyways or at least the majority of the sum.

Although a traditional striker that is lethal in the box. Iā€™m not sure if he is the full package that we need at this time. Also his game time would be shorter than he would most likely want.

I still go back to Community shield. We needed a goal. Itā€™s a friendly. Klopp still couldnā€™t bring himself to bring on Brewster for anyone in the team. I canā€™t see him getting much time at all this year.

Unfortunate, but Iā€™d still like to see him go on loan at prem side before we sell, at least so we can shop window him for a whole year. I guess maybe we are that hard up for money to finish our transfer dealings or are not sure he will fare well when he goes out.

4 Likes

would love him to do well here, and I think unless we receive an insane amount for a essentially still unproven youth, he will stay. I think that amount would have to be above 20mil before we consider a sale. We are not desperate to sell him, but would be open to sell him if someone is desperate enough.

Maybe weā€™ve moved on to trying to shift Brewster to get funds for the squad. Original plan was to offload Wilson, Grujic, etcā€¦but no takers at our prices in current climate, so weā€™ve moved on to try and shift Brewster in effort to build squad?

Not sure I believe that line of thinking, but we are definitely trying/need to shift players before we fill out squad how Jurgen wants it.

I feel Brewster is pushing for a move and I donā€™t blame him. He wonā€™t go out on loan imo.

If the Boss is looking to move Brewster on, I back him 100%. Someone on here mentioned the other day, one can usually get a sense of how the Boss feels about a player in the things he says publicly. And to that end, he talks of Brewster in the very same way he talks of Wilson, mentions things that specifically need worked on and what more is expected of them to be a regular. I donā€™t doubt JK loves Brewster as a person but I also get the sense the Boss doesnā€™t think Rhian is the greatest fit for his tactics.

5 Likes

If he leaves for loan this year, he is done. I have been trying to think of a single player that has gone for a loan and has actually made it at Liverpool, which already puts him at a disadvantage because he has already been on one.

4 Likes

If thereā€™s any hesitation with the manager over Brewster fit for what he wants, itā€™s best to sell. The lower league lad (forget his name, Ollie Watkins or something) went for close to 30M so thatā€™s what we should sell Brewster for, if not more.

Also, just in case he proves to be a goal machine and his value soars, we should protect the club by inserting either/or a buyback clause, or a hefty future sell on percentage.

1 Like

Weā€™d do well to get that kind of fee for a player who hasnā€™t even played 30 domestic games in his career yet, especially in the current market. Heā€™s had a good half season at Swansea, Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s enough to convince a side they should part with Ā£30m for him.

4 Likes

If he wants to go just let him go 10 million itā€™s not as if we want him.