Ex-player: Sadio MANÉ

Well some might see that at the upper end of the range, but I know Manchester City’s players are known for their exemplary manners, so why not?

Jota might be a marginally better goalscorer but Mane is still easily superior when dropping deep from the #9 position. Would prefer to see their roles swapped in future.

5 Likes

That third goal was probably my goal of the season.

Unfair to post it in one player’s thread, have to say it in Mane’s.

Brilliant again in that central role, almost always did a good job for us there when we needed him.

6 Likes

The firecracker is back :firecracker:

3 Likes

Very good game today, keep it going Sadio and the trophies will come piling in

1 Like

I think Mane tends to finish the last third of the season strongly. Good to see that trend continuing!

3 Likes

He was unreal, makes such a difference when he controls the ball. He was a menace all game and between the three of them they kept City on the back foot.

5 Likes

That goal was beautiful, seemed to be enjoying himself today.

4 Likes

I think that resting him against Benfica was important, it rejuvenated him physically and mentally.

1 Like

I found it a bid odd so many wanted Firmino/Jota to start instead of Mane.

Sadio’s been our best forward for a little while. Hopefully this is a bit of a turning point and people will stop talking about him in 20/21 terms and start talking about him in 17-20 terms.

He is still a great player.

2 Likes

Unreal

The narrative is going to change to a “we need to sell Mo in order to resign Mane”, if he keeps playing like this.

2 Likes

Doubt it’s reliable but still

2 Likes

Apparently come from footyinsider. :person_shrugging:t2:

Another sublime and monstrous performance.

This guy keeps amazing me (one may argue that’s not too difficult :laughing:). Although he has played in the wide areas all his life, he has slotted in the #9/False 9 role like he has been doing that all his life. :heart_eyes:

Sadio has moved up a level in the last few games. Something that seemed barely possible considering how high his level was already. He’s playing with a swagger and seems in a really good place, mentally and physically.
It’s a joy to watch.

6 Likes

Klopp said some interesting things in that pre-United embargo.

Said that physically he dropped after AFCON, but now looks like the old Sadio again. And purely athletically speaking, I’d say he’s our most impressive player.

Also said that Luis Diaz added the ability to keep a backline more busy. Sadio started playing too safely earlier in the season. It was clear on the eye especially when the numbers proved it.

And when you have Andy Robbo (naturally a more limited player than Trent on the other side) behind, the ball can come back a lot, like off a wall, more than it’s good. Need an active player in front of him. Which is also why I wanted Thiago at LCM all the time. That’s the perfect balance.

I saw that Senegal started using Sadio more as a #10 behind the lone striker. So it gave him even more game time in those central areas. Perhaps when he can go multiple ways, not use full pace all the time and not be stucked out on the left all the time. Can become tiring not only physically, but mentally (maybe even more so).

He has 15 goals and 4 assists in 21 games when he played central for us.

Will be interesting to see what happens this summer in terms of new contracts.

5 Likes

@Zoran Very interesting indeed. For me, the Diaz signing has removed any doubts I might have had about Mane looking beyond this season. Just the way he has responded to his new role, and the versatility it provides in terms of selection options. Brilliant.

No matter which of the old front three we end up not extending - assuming that’s a realistic possibility - we would (effectively) lose a unique and incredible player. But the way Mane has played as a striker has actually changed my view on his importance quite a lot. Perhaps a bit reactionary, but it has opened up a way of using him that up until recently hasn’t seemed like something Klopp considered a regular solution.

3 Likes

It’s funny how things work out. So many people saw Diaz as a threat to Mane, but not only has Mane raised his game, he seems to have done so not out of competition but because of how much he relishes playing with the Diaz. They seem to have a really good connection, and I wonder if Mane as the elder statesman now isnt seeing some of his younger self in the Colombian and taking him under his wing.

4 Likes

I think he has played through the centre much earlier in his career. He had some games for Southampton there i think too.