Ex-player: Sadio MANÉ

At this stage has more chance of winning ballon d’or than Mo, considering he won Afcon as captain, and is finishing strong. Probably Benzema, Mane, Mo. Maybe at least a CL win will place him above Benzema.

2 Likes

Yeah he probably wins it if he wins the CL.

Yeah got to resign Sadio. Surely he’d accept a 3 year contract with an option for an extra year at 250k/week? Hopefully we can then bring in our Salah replacement in July/Jan as it looks certain he’s not staying beyond 2023

You can’t argue against it, in the business end he’s scored double the goals anyone else has so far.

I don’t think Sadio is about money, he gives away large sums to help people back home.

2 Likes

Sadio is playing the smart game. It makes no sense to sign a contract before the Salah situation is sorted. And I have no problem with that position. I mean if he signs for an increase of say 10% and Salah gazumps his own old contract, Sadio would feel a little cheated.

That’s what I think too. Sadio might value himself as say 80% of Mo Salah? 90%

Whatever it is, it makes sense to wait until Mo signs before recalibrating his own demands.

Don’t think he is unfortunately.

1 Like

But if that’s the case and Sadio himself wants to stay it makes even more sense to wait for the Salah situation to be sorted, either way. Salah leaves or he signs, Sadio has more ammo to use if he waits for Salah to be sorted.

Sadio needs to be signed up now (ie after teh CL final) regardless. Get him to sign, whatever it takes. Salah has already been offered very generous terms (allegedly) and Mane can also be offered something close. We can’t have both Mo and Sadio with 1 year left going into next season.

2 Likes

You might be misunderstanding me, but I agree with you. I would be disappointed if the club haven’t approached him to re-sign, and given how we have prioritised ensuring contracts have been extended since Klopp has been here, I think its a certainty they have done that.

But I’m looking at the perspective of Sadio here. If I was him and I was approached by the club to re-sign I’d be keeping my powder dry. I don’t see Sadio as the money-hungry type of guy, but you still do what’s best for you regardless. And Liverpool isn’t exactly a charity saving starving children in Burundi so why wouldn’t you get the best for yourself?

Now (after CL) is the time to ‘get the best deal’ - especially if Mo isn’t committing. If he turns down our summer offer he’s not suddenly going to get offered more by us next season. Sure it’s possible he could earn more elsewhere - although I think if we offered him 250k then I’m not sure anyone would top that, save perhaps for a signon fee if he was a free transfer - but if he wants to keep playing his football with us and jurgen he would be crazy not to commit this summer.

I also think if neither Mo nor Sadio are resigned then we will have to bring in a high quality forward this summer especially as Bobby seems likely to also be phased out of a starting role by the end of their contracts so we’d effectively be three down in summer '23.

1 Like

After his goal against Aston Villa, Sadio Mané is now 2nd for all-time most goals for #LFC without ever scoring a penalty for the club:
Kenny Dalglish - 172
Sadio Mané - 119
Ian St John - 118
John Toshack - 96
Albert Stubbins - 83
Luis Suárez - 82
Fernando Torres - 81

10 Likes

How good have we become. Sadio is miles ahead of two of our recent legendary strikers and he isn’t even our leading attacker. Savor these moments moments and be thankful that we lived to see this day.

6 Likes

22 Likes

What a lovely human being :heart:

6 Likes

Ok, surely that’s the best thing any footballer has ever said.

4 Likes

It’s either that or David Beckham’s response when he was asked if he was a volatile player…

“Well, I can play in the centre, on the right and occasionally on the left side.”

4 Likes

Give him a break, he might have been thinking politically volatile.

Hard to top George Best for quotes, but in terms of meaning and intention and humanity Mane’s words (and actions) reflect incredibly well on who he is.