Ex-Player: Takumi MINAMINO

Not sure just seen it on twitter. I’d doubt Markovic played an awful lot more though than Taki

1 Like

Agree Sweeting. Markovic cost 20m when that was a much more significant sum and stank the place out and we struggled to even give him away before leaving for free; Taki was 8m which (when signed) was probably more like 4-5m in Marko pounds plus he’d have suitors were he sold. I’m not convinced by him either but it’s still early days for him and he’s got a great opportunity tomorrow to show what he’s got.

2 Likes

Looking at goals and assists won’t tell you why Markovic was such a let down. Probably got to actually watch him to understand it. People say Origi is looking like he’s not bothered or trying right now (unfortunately accurately) but Markovic made this Origi look like Milner in comparison. It was frustrating because there was an element of skill there. Taki is working hard, linking play, playing in a role in our system (most of the time) that isn’t really that easy to understand but measuring goals and assists won’t tell you if someone is playing that role well. Klopp loves how Firmino plays it yet Bobby seems to rarely score or assist.

2 Likes

One cost £20M in July 2014, while the other cost a mere £7.25M in a pre-Covid, inflated transfer market of December 2019. The latter is still a work in progress project that has every chance of being successful in a team that has a definite style of play and a development plan for him.
Too early to make any comparisons and another reason why stats can be skewed and make to look how you want them to. Such stats need a proper context which is missing in this case.

7 Likes

Do you have the shirts sold in far east stat comparison?

In before @cynicaloldgit :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Lazar Markovic was a really promising player coveted by quite a few big teams. Whatever promise he had was thoroughly kicked out of him by Rodgers so he could make a point about the Transfer Committee.

Given how the people who identified Markovic have performed under Klopp, I tend to believe there was a player there.

5 Likes

Sorry if it was all on Rodgers then he’d be at a decent club by now he’s not exactly old. He doesnt even seem to be a starter now. Sometimes it’s on the player. Klopp has really improved our recruitment when it comes to player attitude and behaviour. The recruitment team may have always been able to identify talent but haven’t got a great track record at identifying arseholes till Klopp came in.

2 Likes

Perhaps, but he lost years at a really vital time in his development, for little other reason that Rodger’s wanted to put one on the transfer committee.

Losing years like that can really set a player back. There are countless examples of good young players who were hotly tipped, only to be hit by unfavourable circumstances at a crucial time and then sink through the divisions.

1 Like

He just did not perform well when asked. He had a handful of promising to decent performances, but only ever when playing a role in a formation we only fleetingly used (RWB in a back 5). He was an unreliable player in a side not performing well. Under different circumstances it might have worked differently for him, even with that difficult start, but there was very little about his actual performances that suggests he was hard done by in terms of his how much Rodgers picked him at that specific time under those circumstances.

4 Likes

It was possible Brenda put out the fire in the lads belly.
Once that grit and determination has gone, virtually impossible to get it back.

2 Likes

Not having a go at you, my friend, but I’ll never let this one go - Marković is and has always been a lazy donkey. Only Jorge Jesus managed to light some fire under his arse and it lasted for about six months, enough for Liverpool to bite (though he did have a decent spell at Hull). He was here when Klopp was the manager and if he couldn’t coax anything out of him, nobody can. You should have seen his performances for Partizan in Serbian league and European qualifiers - listless doesn’t cover it. He got the opportunity to join a (failing) giant, didn’t succeed but did bleed them dry for every penny of the contract. Good riddance.

Maybe Minamino will be remembered as an equally poor player but it won’t be for his lack of trying - I’d even say he’s trying too hard but maybe he just isn’t built for Premier League (and I’m also responsible for jinxing him and nipping his Liverpool career in the bud). Plus, he was much cheaper and probably on lower wages in comparison with Marković.

10 Likes

Like Radio 4

2 Likes

There was never any fire there to be put out.

2 Likes

I actually thought Taki was decent tonight. Just me?

Second half we were shite but that wasn’t exclusive to him.

4 Likes

He doesn’t really seem to be making any progress to me, which is odd given how much everyone else is catapulted forward when they start with us! He hasn’t really even had a ‘good game’ has he? Klopp must value him though as at the fee we paid for him it wouldn’t be much of a problem to move him along :slight_smile:

You’re always kind and supportive to our players, especially those coming up or breaking into the side. I still havent seen anything from him to suggest he can make the step up to a starting 11 player. I said it in the post match, he seems to be playing the game at a different tempo to the rest of the team.

Decent? Is not LFC quality though. Should be showing more for 25 yrs old.

1 Like

Yet to have a real pre season with us.

Not worried about Taki. What is he - fifth choice? No problem if he won’t make it here.

In the worst case he fills in the place until Harvey is ready but probably not until 2022.

2 Likes

That’s like one of my Skrtel tirades :laughing:

1 Like

You’ll get the players who seem right, gotten the right stats etc and then go on and become duds. Every club has signed their share of high profile duds. It’s not a scouting error to boot too. It’s just on the player. If the player thinks that he’s reached the summit of his career by joining a big club on a good contract , then there’s nothing that can be done.

2 Likes

Very inexpensive and probably could recoup most of it in a year or two, I would however give him a proper pre season and see how he went there, the charity shield showed some spark but the problem is even with all the injuries he isn’t forcing himself in or adapting.

1 Like