Fabio CARVALHO: 2022/23

I know that he is one for the future and there are some games still left in this season as well. But I’m a bit worried about how he sort of disappeared after his spell at the beginning of the season.

1 Like

I think that can at least partially be attributed to the inherent conservatism of football managers- yes, even Jürgen- when things are going badly. Stick to the tried and trusted, unless change is forced upon you.

1 Like

Díaz injured, Jota injured, Bobby injured, Nunez suspended, Gakpo still at PSV.

That’s why he had his spell.

Might go on loan if Bobby signs a new contract.

I’m not sure he was really pulling up any trees when he was included to be honest which is hardly a surprise given his age, inconsistency is to be expected. He’s popped up with a few big moments and hopefully will be ready to take on a bigger role next season.

Hopefully he’s at the gym bulking up with Trent.

Trent should be with the ‘how to do basic defending’ coach.

I think his situation is somewhat like the first season of Tsimikas when Klopp decided not to throw a new player alongside an unsettled team/backline. If we sort out out midfield issues in the summer, I expect him to have more games next season.

Also, with Firmino leaving, I think there’s now the added opportunity for him.

When he broke into Fulham’s eam at 18 he played CF. Scored away at Southampton while playing as a striker.

Not sure if thats a long term option here, would still be hard to break in, but worth remembering.

He will clearly need game time - and agree with the tweet regarding a loan to a Premier League club next season. Seems to good a player to give up on so soon, especially after his promising start.

Would hate to see him sold off so soon - he looks like he’s got a lot of potential. He’s also different to our other attacking midfield options (maybe closer to Elliot than anyone else).

Have hopes of him becoming a David Silva type player for us.

We bought a talent we liked and for what we judged a good price. Doesn’t need to have a fixed position at his age.

We bought him for the future, but of course with open arms welcoming if he can start producing straight away. There was every chance for that since he came in last summer. The first team staff assess that already in training sessions, pre-season, the games he’s played. He cannot expect to get, I don’t know, 30 games in his first season, in his preferred position and moan if that doesn’t happen.

Okay, he’s a #10 type of player. A lot of teams either don’t play with one or you as a young player have to accept to do a job where you’re asked. He’s not being asked to play as a defender, but an offensive player, which he is.

When we use him on the left, it doesn’t mean that we expect him to play like Mane or Salah. He can play sort of like we used Coutinho when we used him in the left half space of a front 3. Minamino, Shaqiri, more combining players like that.

Obviously it was a big step and now he needs something in between, to return more ready to challenge for a spot in our first team squad.

If it never happens, it never happens. Tons of players have and will go through Liverpool without going all the way for a lot of years.

2 Likes

Fabrizio Romano said something about him leaving this summer….hopefully on loan

Klopp on Fabio Carvalho:
“I think there’s a possibility that Carvalho will go on loan. No player has impressed me more than Fabio. A very talented boy, but it didn’t work this season.”

But you still didn’t play him. :thinking:

1 Like

To me that sounds like he’s putting the ball in Carvalho’s court, like its his decision what he wants to do next season. The ‘impressed’ comment appears to be more about his reaction to training but never playing.

I wonder if there might have been a falling out there, or at least some crossed words.

I’m a very big fan of Carvalho, called him the best teenager in the country when we signed him and I stand by it. He’s a phenomenal talent. Maybe he could go back to Fulham for another season, especially after they had such a great year but the likes of Willian aren’t going to keep their places forever.

1 Like

Yeah but no but is it in a good way.

It would be sad to see him leave. With Firmino leaving, coupled with Europa League and the domestic cups, he could have got substantial mins to embed himself in the squad.

This is a burning example of why we didn’t go for the likes of Jude or Alexis (not literally) before they burst into the scene. We need more rounded players to help us achieve our goals and young players are left with scraps which aren’t enough to help their progression.

Bet at least one of the three big Portuguese clubs are after him.

Financial no-brainer.

Buy him for up to £20m now and they’ll be able to sell him back to England for at least £60m in three years time.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1663216396740730880?t=RemHLEwxtTzz7DiHx7F6Mw&s=19 a champions league club in for him…

But back clause would temper it for me.

Assume it’s Porto or Benfica

Makes sense, he hasn’t shown much to suggest he’s worth keeping around in the short term. The money can be invested in somebody who will improve the squad.

2 Likes