Fabio CARVALHO: 2022/23

They do, with Pereira.

On Carvalho, he cannot expect to go from one season in the Championship with Fulham to almost a quadruple Liverpool and then have it all his way. You have to merit it and it’s not easy.

Players, especially offensive minded, that young, need to be able to learn different aspects and roles. He’s not being asked to play CB.

To play the central role here is demanding. Not a big deal if he’s first more used in the inside left channel. You do well there and then you can start earning a more central role.

1 Like

Pereira is a different kind of player though. Far more physical and combative. Don’t think Fabio could do what he does.

He is, but it’s basically the same formation. Double pivot in Palhinha and Reed (maybe now Lukic breaks in), Pereira between them and Mitrovic.

Jurgen likes to start younger players in their non preferred position in order to learn different things about the game, and then he progresses them to the position best suited to them. There are obviously exceptions.

3 Likes

No worried about him, will probably continue being a bit part player chipping in some fancy goals here and there until we decide to sell to help fund a move for a more established player. Can see us selling in 2024/2025 for 15-20m.

@Sweeting, Fabio didn’t play for the U21’s lately? Maybe he could do with some minutes there considering he’s here but struggling at the moment to get on the pitch and even on the bench at times.

You’re right, no minutes for him at U21 level recently. Generally speaking we don’t like dropping players down (we do it but not very often unless its part of injury recovery).

We may see him for a game or two beforebthe end if the season if he continues to not play but I expect he will stay with the first team in most cases.

Are we talking about the Divock Carvalho? The only player in the league who could beat Newcastle this season?

And who are we playing this weekend? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m sure i read recently Carvalho has i minor injury :confused:.

I know that he is one for the future and there are some games still left in this season as well. But I’m a bit worried about how he sort of disappeared after his spell at the beginning of the season.

1 Like

I think that can at least partially be attributed to the inherent conservatism of football managers- yes, even Jürgen- when things are going badly. Stick to the tried and trusted, unless change is forced upon you.

1 Like

Díaz injured, Jota injured, Bobby injured, Nunez suspended, Gakpo still at PSV.

That’s why he had his spell.

Might go on loan if Bobby signs a new contract.

I’m not sure he was really pulling up any trees when he was included to be honest which is hardly a surprise given his age, inconsistency is to be expected. He’s popped up with a few big moments and hopefully will be ready to take on a bigger role next season.

Hopefully he’s at the gym bulking up with Trent.

Trent should be with the ‘how to do basic defending’ coach.

I think his situation is somewhat like the first season of Tsimikas when Klopp decided not to throw a new player alongside an unsettled team/backline. If we sort out out midfield issues in the summer, I expect him to have more games next season.

Also, with Firmino leaving, I think there’s now the added opportunity for him.

When he broke into Fulham’s eam at 18 he played CF. Scored away at Southampton while playing as a striker.

Not sure if thats a long term option here, would still be hard to break in, but worth remembering.

He will clearly need game time - and agree with the tweet regarding a loan to a Premier League club next season. Seems to good a player to give up on so soon, especially after his promising start.

Would hate to see him sold off so soon - he looks like he’s got a lot of potential. He’s also different to our other attacking midfield options (maybe closer to Elliot than anyone else).

Have hopes of him becoming a David Silva type player for us.

We bought a talent we liked and for what we judged a good price. Doesn’t need to have a fixed position at his age.

We bought him for the future, but of course with open arms welcoming if he can start producing straight away. There was every chance for that since he came in last summer. The first team staff assess that already in training sessions, pre-season, the games he’s played. He cannot expect to get, I don’t know, 30 games in his first season, in his preferred position and moan if that doesn’t happen.

Okay, he’s a #10 type of player. A lot of teams either don’t play with one or you as a young player have to accept to do a job where you’re asked. He’s not being asked to play as a defender, but an offensive player, which he is.

When we use him on the left, it doesn’t mean that we expect him to play like Mane or Salah. He can play sort of like we used Coutinho when we used him in the left half space of a front 3. Minamino, Shaqiri, more combining players like that.

Obviously it was a big step and now he needs something in between, to return more ready to challenge for a spot in our first team squad.

If it never happens, it never happens. Tons of players have and will go through Liverpool without going all the way for a lot of years.

2 Likes

Fabrizio Romano said something about him leaving this summer….hopefully on loan