Fabio CARVALHO: 2022/23

I think they’re a bit light at CB…other than Dias I’m not sure they have another top player in that position…from what I’ve seen Danilo has been filing in there but he’s more of a DM. Dunno if Pepe is retired or not but he’s about 62 years old.

Fabio would be competing against the likes of Bruno, Bernardo, Felix, Ronaldo, Leao & Andre Silva.

Has quit representing Portugal at underage

Its news thats doing the rounds now, but nothing official coming out as yet.

His dream is to represent Portugal so i suspect he’s not quiting…

Maybe it’s too pressure a callup or something. Not good enough at the moment for either country. He has Tibet as a third nationality I believe but I reckon we could pick the 11 best players from this forum and beat them. Don’t get the move to be honest but if he manages to get a Portugal senior call up then it makes sense

Unused in the last 5 games while we are short of attackers when he had many minutes in the games before that.

Probably wouldn’t have made a difference but I wonder why.

Same thoughts. Easing a young player in and out is normal, but the pattern here is just plain weird.

He was the go to option before the WC. Carrying a niggle doesn’t make sense. Wonder what the thought process behind his lack of playing time recently is.

It’s not like the Ox is doing anything to keep anyone out the team. Just the polar opposite.

2 Likes

They probably feel he needs to improve certain aspects of his game (not like Klopp and Pep didn’t say it since last summer), maybe he also doesn’t train well enough, who knows. Many players get unused from time to time. Some other players got more of a chance now so I get it that we don’t want to change from game to time all the time, but find some stability. He might get games again, if he stays in this window. Next summer we’ll see, wouldn’t rule out a loan.

Bring Morton back from loan it’s not possible he can play as bad as Fabinho or Henderson at the moment.

2 Likes

Have you seen what’s happening to Elliott? Why subject young players to the pressure and scrutiny over how non-functional our team is right now?

2 Likes

I guess it might be an issue of him not fully ready and for Klopp, if he had other players fit, I think Carvalho and Elliot will have more managed game time as he had shown in the past with younger players. But also on the other hand, players like Elliot, Carvalho, Jones will always need to break through the bottleneck because they will come a time, when they are good but will have a work harder breaking through to be good enough for Liverpool first team regular.

Looked great in cameos off the bench early on, then got a few starts here and there and was pretty anonymous. Always first to be hooked, always early. If he’s not up to fit, why isn’t he featuring more for the u21s?

Protecting them from the total shambles currently. One good thing about today is those who haven’t performed got shown up as they should have.

No excuses because of the past years. You can’t go blame Elliott’s youth or Nunez finishing.

That was just garbage. I think it’s more that, I do feel he should be getting more game time even if he is anonymous it would be a carbon copy of the rest of them, as Klopp pretty much said has anyone had a good season for us.

No, not even Alisson since he returned.

He isn’t playing because he gets pushed off the ball as easy as any Liverpool player I can remember.

Just having some lovely technique isn’t enough. He’s not ready for this level yet.

1 Like

Yeah, way too early for him - though I wonder if he would look as unprepared if he was playing in a functional side. Making himself unavailable for Portugal’s U21s probably wasn’t his smartest move and it might have affected him, too.

I thought his early cameos were decent, though, up to his winner against Newcastle - if I remember correctly, he could have scored in all previous games but for some wayward (if brave) finishing at the very end of matches (also had a great chance at Nottingham Forest). A few of these go in and suddenly he’s a highly confident option off the bench, like Garnacho, for example, is at Man United this season.

1 Like

He’s a guy who joined a team on the back of almost a quadruple (and still taking into account our drop this season) from a situation of having less than 50 (mostly Championship) games for Fulham. Levels. It’s nothing catastrophic. He will either show he merits to be part of our first team squad for next season or just go out on loan somewhere.

We often get into constant emotional “traps” with young talents, thinking that most of them will have 10+ year careers with us. If we haven’t started following football yesterday, go back and think of all the tons of names who were “expected” to have important careers at our level. Even if that can be different (level of talent, where that expectation comes from, etc.), but think of the names we, ourselves, thought would make it.

Very few did.

As I said earlier, if all other players had been fit, Carvalho and Elliot would never have played as much as they did. Not that they do not deserve their chances, just that Klopp has a good principle of managing younger players and the expectations set on them. On the flipside, its also up to these young players to show they are up to it. TAA became a regular also because of injuries to the first choice, which was Clyne, I believe back then, and he took the opportunity spectacularly. Its fair to say that while we see the potential, Carvalho and Elliot are still yet to show they are special enough to be regular first teamers and thats probably why Klopp is not playing them if he could.

So they finally gave Carvalho something to do. Poor guy, such a waste of talent.

He’s a 20 year old who has played 630 minutes for us, the overwhelming majority coming before that mid-season holiday, with having played 11 of 14 league games in that time, averaging 30 minutes per appearance.

He’s also not the most physical of players in a season when our players are not delivering enough in that respect.

As a new, young player, it’s unsurprising therefore that he hasn’t featured that much.

1 Like

Exactly my point. He’s not progressing at all here. Being forced to play in midfield most of the time. Would have been better off staying at Fulham playing as a 10.

Fulham don’t play with a 10 now do they?