Fabio CARVALHO: 2022/23

If they are interested that would be an interesting place to sanction a loan to

He needs to bulk up but that wonā€™t take years. Heā€™s more than decent technically and his upside could be well worth the wait or whatever fee we get for him now.

I donā€™t see the need to offload him. Find him a club that will give gim consistent minutes as a starter, get a better indication of how good he really is and then decide.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s my gut instinct on this. That Fabioā€™s a bit disgruntled with his lack of opportunity, and its up to him what he makes of it - head down and graft at Liverpool, force a move elsewhere, go on a loan for a better chance of game time with a view of still making at at Liverpool.

Generally, I think heā€™s got what it takes to make it in the PL. He will gain strength as he gets older. There are plenty of examples of players with small stature making it in the PL.

Itā€™s still a win win for us I think - we paid little, can turn a profit if he goes, or if he stays (loan or otherwise) heā€™s still a great prospect.

He doesnā€™t improve the squad, nevermind the first team. We could use the funds from his sale to buy a player who does.

3 Likes

There were also a few ill advised Instagram comments last night that suggest a bit of a lack of maturity.

Apparently RB Leipzig were the club who made an offer for him.

2 Likes

Would have been nice to tell us what the clickbait was :wink:

Leipzig on loan would be a good option.

If Klopp is happy to move him on, I trust him with that. He knows what young players need to have - heā€™s brought plenty of them through n his career.

I think heā€™s got a future at a big club. Just donā€™t know whether itā€™s with Liverpool. He will need to get major minutes either way though.

Iā€™m curious as to what dream he was sold when we got him here. It was obvious he wasnā€™t seriously going to compete as a left sided winger, too much competition there. Heā€™s also not really an out and out goal scorer. If it was to be an eventual back-up to Bobby, and now Gakpo, which I think would suit him the best, then thereā€™s no need to sell him. Unless somehow the Nunez as centre-forward vision succeeds (which I am a little doubtful of), we will need cover in the false 9 position where the main attribute a player needs to have are ability to link up play and game intelligence. I think Carvalho has both, and is at least worth a shot of persisting with his development.

1 Like

Going from Fulham in the Championship to Liverpool, who were a few points and goals away from a quadruple. That was a pretty nice dream that turned into reality.

1 Like

What dream he was sold?

When a club like Liverpool are in for you, the mind is made upā€¦there is no thinking required about might it/mightnā€™t work out, especially as a kidā€¦the dream for these kids were set growing up at the age of 6/7/8.

Donā€™t fanboy on me. Can you imagine a dialogue like ā€œWe might play you as a spare goalkeeperā€ and heā€™s like ā€œFucking get in!ā€

Obviously weā€™re a big club, but do you think he spoke with nobody else? What I mean is what did we offer that was better than his other potential suitors.

1 Like

He was not asked to play as a defender or something.

Not the first time we brought a player who is not there yet in terms of quality and style. Players improve and learn. Teams embrace players who offer something different. Clubs buy players not only for now but for the future as well. Managers can change in that time, styles, formations.

From our perspective, weā€™ll probably get a profit either this summer or after a loan move or two. Still a chance that he makes it here, mind. But not now, not next season.

Nobody can predict that. Impossible to know what were his other offers, but I really wouldnā€™t blame him taking this chance. Probably learned a lot in a year here and still got to 20 odd appearances.

There will be many more like Carvalho passing through these doors. Not all of them will make it. Regardless if theyā€™re stylistically a fit from the moment they were bought or not.

Ultimately, if you have a quality manager who knows how to reward merit and make it work on the pitch regardless of a playersā€™ age, itā€™s down to the player to battle and show that he deserves to play.

1 Like

Not really, no.

A top club competing for honours with a manager with a track record of giving kids opportunities to contribute and shine.

But apart from thatā€¦

1 Like

It is exactly that which will make me surprised if we let him go so early. Even Grujic lasted longer.

2 Likes

There can be a difference in interest from the market + our evaluation of everything.

I think you are underrating just how highly regarded he was(is?). Heā€™s not like one of the B grade prospects we have signed in years past and heā€™s got the skills to be a top level player so I am keen to at least give him one more season, unless a crazy offer comes in. If we need to sell to buy midfielders, would much rather it was Thiago.

1 Like

I donā€™t think we want to sell him. I think itā€™s the player who is eager.