Fabio Carvalho (LW/AM) Brentford

The fact is that the vast majority of kids coming out of the Acedemy will not make it at the very elite level. They know that and we know that. The hope is that a good number will go on to have decent careers in the game, and the fees they bring in and the money saved by maybe 1 in 30 making it big and taking a first team role, pays for the academy and a fair bit beside.

1 Like

I’m repeating myself but one of the hallmarks of a big and successful club is its academy and the number of players that they have produced and that are playing in the league but couldn’t make it at their parent club. Ferguson’s Man United were the absolute masters of it, Liverpool were one of the rare PL clubs that didn’t have their former youth players during that era.

1 Like

Valencia are shit these days. Played the full 90 once this year.

17th in League One

Couldn’t get a start in his first Wolves season and now zero minutes in Wolves preseason.

His two years at Porto have been a catastrophe

Terrific? LOL. Not even a starter.

DOWN

I have no desire to slate our academy. None of them made it ‘big’ (like being a starter for a CL club) and I’m sure most of the clubs regret paying those fees.

Absolutely knew you would go off like that while I wrote that post. Never change :kissing_heart:

You missed Solanke tut tut

4 Likes

Good luck to the kid.

It looks like everyone who comes through our youth ranks has to win the Ballon d’Or to keep you happy.

As @Sweeting and others have said, as long as the academy is producing players who have decent professional careers, they’re doing something right.

11 Likes

Do you think the same about City and Chelsea academy?

I don’t give a fuck about City’s or Chelsea’s academy.

4 Likes

But you think about those clubs a lot everyday.

Nope.

You might do so, but that doesn’t mean that everybody does.

2 Likes

You have a very limited view of what constitutes success if anything less than a starter for a CL club is deemed to have not made it.

I went off because your post is garbage. Even now your response is pretty much nonsense - Reading finished 17th in League One, great job looking that up, Ejaria hasn’t played for them in the better part of two years because of his mental health. When they were a Championship club he was getting linked with PL moves because he was playing well.

Hoever couldn’t get a start in his first season at Wolves - he was 18.

Wilson was terrific, did you watch Fulham? You don’t have to start every game to be an important and good player. Is Jota not good for us?

7 Likes

anyways…

whatever the actual fee is between 20 and 27, its rouhly half of a zubimendi… which sounds like great business

between the solanke fee and this one, its a decent little income…

add loosening Thiagos wage off the books, youd imagine theres a little wiggle room to go big on another signing after Zubimendi (assuming that actually goes through)

2 Likes

Yes?

They do a very good job of producing talent but if we had their players come through our academy you’d be writing the same list as above and saying "Bazunu lost his place, Trafford was terrible, McAtee didn’t start regularly for Sheff Utd, Delap can’t score, Forbs can’t stand out in a bad Ajax team, Charles can’t start at Southampton, Edozie and Larios have barely played etc etc etc.

6 Likes

Anyway, I’m sure most clubs regret paying those fees for our players and the same will happen with Brentford.

By the way, fully expect them to sack Thomas Frank next season.

A talented player that I’m sorry to see go, but there was no way he was going to make it at Anfield. No matter which position he plays with us there are always better players ahead of him. It’s best for him that he moves on.

1 Like

Exactly my point.

1 Like

Can we count captain of Nantes Pedro Chirivella too?

5 Likes

No, because he doesn’t fit the agenda.

1 Like

If they were playing in a Champions League final I’d be a bit annoyed we let them go.

1 Like

Good move for the lad,he has talent and is far more likely to get regular game time at Brentford than he would here with our number of midfielders.
Wish him well as long he doesn’t rip us a new one.

1 Like