Federico Chiesa (AM) Juventus

So I haven’t really seen Chiesa play meaning I have no strong opinion. From what I understand he’s a right sided attacker, no? Might indicate the paucity of quality options on the market that we are chasing him.

Having said that I think our transfer team has earned the right to a little faith. I know people argue Edwards isn’t involved but I find it hard to belueve he isn’t in the decision making process - even just as a final check.

4 Likes

I was taken a bit by Ornstein’s comments in that recent fanzine roundtable Carra and Scholes did on Sky. He is about as straight down the middle a reporter as there is with no liverpool bias at all and he was commenting on how many comments he has received from people in the game about how impressed they have been by the way Hughes and co have gone about their work this summer.

Obviously we see none of that reflected in signings yet, but signing players is only a part of putting together a trophy winning squad. When you inherited a group this good it is maybe only a small part of it, at least at first

With Chiesa we have definitely been a fan of his going back to his Fiorentina days so Edwards will know everything there is to know about him. In terms of his position, his preference is the left, but as @WeeJoe pointed out, it was Italy’s win the Euros that most people will be most familiar with him, and there he was excellent playing off the right side.

5 Likes

One thing I do find quite fun is that fans have spent summer arguing we need to find new players, that our scouting team no being able to find someone is an excuse etc. Then we identify someone, reportedly, and a bunch of fans go straight “no not him I meant someone else”.

And its not even that the fans are wrong, he could be terrible, I just don’t think there is a name in the world that we wouldn’t immediately have some people bringing up doubts about fitting in here.

5 Likes

It’s more that it’s not very exciting to be linked with someone the current club is trying to push out the door for low money (comparatively). Maybe he’ll be amazing for us, but the good ones aren’t usually pushed out. Seems more like another Shaqiri. Meh, might have some moments.

1 Like

Shaqiri wasn’t revolutionary for us or anything but he certainly contributed. I’ll take a brace against Man Utd from any bit-part player!

If that’s what we can expect from Chiesa it seems like a useful addition.

14 Likes

Worth a punt for that kind of fee I’d say. A more natural fit on the right as a backup to Mo than anybody else we have the club with the added versatility of being able to play all along the front line. Played 37 times last season which is a decent amount for somebody supposedly made of glass.

1 Like

Remember watching a friendly, around 5 years ago, between USA and Italy. Announcer said Chiesa was a young player Italy had high hopes for. He then ran rings around the US defense all night long. Was thinking he’d look beautiful in Liverpool red. Followed him in Italy, and he continued to play well, until the big knee injury.

If he is getting back close to 100% fitness, this could be a shrewd signing. Only time will tell, but he is talented.

2 Likes

Liked Chiesa for a long time so I’d be very happy to see him join, for 12-13m it’d be a no brainer, he’d instantly be better than Gordon, Nico, Kvarakebabdona or whatever his name is.

If he doesn’t come then fuck him, never really wanted him. We got Doak and Koumas out on loan who’s better anyway.

1 Like

I don’t disagree! If he was the last signing after getting competition at LB and a #6, it’d be great way to end the transfer window.

I’m not against it, it’s just another summer of chasing bigger names and ending at the bargain bin. I think a squad needs a couple of new faces every year to add energy and freshness, hopefully this will do it.

I hope it won’t push Doak out permanently, I’d like him to be a loan if he’s going.

Chiesa has been a quality player for a while. We would also be buying at a cut price so signing him doesn’t hamper our funds from adding another player later as well. He plays either wing position. I’m in favor of this as long as his medicals check out.

1 Like

I read somewhere recently that because Juve had twice lowered their asking price for the player, Barcelona could actually afford him and were interested. It seemed like he was on the verge of signing for them.

So why are Juve so keen to get rid of him that they would reduce his price to less than what one of our teenagers would cost?

The BBC article says this:
The process has involved the Reds showing exploratory interest in a number of players and it is understood the interest in Chiesa has not yet gone further than that.

Looks like he would be an opportunistic signing to give us experienced right-sided cover at a cheap price. Maybe it would also mean that Doak will be playing elsewhere this season, either sold or on loan.

EDIT: I see that the answer to my question as to why are Juve selling him so cheaply can be found in the unreliable rumours thread. Keita replacement, and I don’t mean on the pitch. Swerve.

Quite a surprise, this one…

But this is a top player whose stock has taken a hit and I can see how they would see this as an opportunity to sign a player with something still to prove, by way of a new challenge.

Seen a lot of him in the Serie A. I think he stayed too long, being comfy as biggest fish around the block…And now a new sheriff comes in and is having none of it…

This could be really interesting, especially if there are no injury concerns…

He’s very powerful at top speed and if successful, can be a valuable change of pace player from the bench.

I like the way he takes the top off a defence…and can be very decisive on arrival in the box…

Conspiracy alert:

Barcelona sign Chiesa
Our ‘interest’ makes Gordon kick up a fuss
We sign Gordon from Newcastle
They now have money, so they sign Guehi from Palace
We sell Gomez to Palace
We then sign Lukeba, or maybe Hincapie

Gordon and Lukeba before the window closes? It might be this g&t talking…

Yeah, what gin are you drinking?

4 Likes

Monkey 47, pushing the boat out.

3 Likes

Rather too much Gin I think.

3 Likes

Chiesa has been and can be a class act, if he stays fit!
Whatever Juve’s motive is cutting his price, like maybe his head doesn’t fit,or maybe he wants out, doesn’t really bother me at all.
Subject to the fitness rider, he is 26,should have a bit left in him yet.
For mine, go for him!

Good choice

1 Like

I’d much rather sign no one than sign Gordon.

7 Likes

Yeah I was going say can we just sign the defender instead.

Thing is this would be very much the kind of deal our original journey was set up upon with FSG.

For a small fee and a very risk free contract I’d be open to it

1 Like