Federico Chiesa (AM) Juventus

The injury 2 seasons ago was a concern but last season he seemed to have gotten a fair bit of form back and had 2500minutes on the field so it’s not as bad as some people think. Of course his injuries might stack up again knowing our luck but based on the multiple factors like the low price, Juve not willing to renew his contract, new manager doesn’t seem to fancy him, Barca not sure whether they can register him, and him getting minutes back with considerable form, this on paper looks like a good deal.

3 Likes

Juventus fans are happy seeing him go. He’s seemingly fallen off massively over the past 2 seasons or so even if he was largely fit the last season.

YouTube video posted in Juve website

I am not sure of that. He basically only has one season with them before he got that ACL. After that the season that followed wasn’t great but he got that back to some degree the following season which was last season. So maybe people are unsure and that is probably why Thiago doesn’t feel he needs him, Juve not wanting to renew his contract and hence the bargain sale. And you know fans, they might slag players off for being injured for long periods of time.

1 Like

He seems like a pure dribbler, much like Díaz—lacking in end product, but having another dribbler is always useful for breaking down defenses.

I’m more concerned about Nunez. If Chiesa hits his stride, I think the pecking order at center forward could be Jota => Salah => Nunez.

1 Like

Juve selling a player cheap. Check your pockets.

2 Likes

I would hazard a guess that his role is to supervise the process and the people put in place to deal with the process, but I don’t think he would play an active role. He’s essentially now what would have been his boss. Maybe they might ask for his opinion, but I don’t think (unless he’s a micromanager) he would otherwise be involved because that just undermines the point of Hughes, no?

1 Like

Juve are rebuilding, and most of the squad is young and on low wages. Chiesa is already 27, on high wages, with one year left on his contract, and he wants a salary increase—something Juve is reluctant to offer, especially since the new manager doesn’t see him as a guaranteed starter. His game is also heavily reliant on physicality, speed, and direct runs, but after his ACL injuries, he hasn’t been the same.

On the other hand, we often hear that Slot likes his wingers to stay wide and have the ability to take on defenders. In my opinion, only Diaz fits that profile right now. Salah isn’t much of a dribbler anymore. I think Chiesa would be more of a plan B option when we’re stuck against a low block rather than a direct backup for Salah. We could move to a 2-4-4 with a front line of Díaz, Jota, Salah, and Chiesa. In the Brentford match, we saw Salah roaming a lot, making room for Szoboszlai to run directly into the corner space. When we need total attacking options, a right-footed winger like Chiesa could also occupy that space.

5 Likes

bit suprised his games on the right outweigh his games on the left…

is that for real?

Thought you just told me he’s a left-sided player. Maybe look at facts before you rush in to criticise?

1 Like

agreed, i remember seeing him here and there, on the left, and transfermarket (at a cursorary glance) had him on the left… so, as i said elsewhere, its certainly a better scenario than i first thought.

2 Likes

It really does sound like it’s the Shaqiri situation for him, an opportunity for him to prolong the time he has at a top club, albeit as a squad player rather than someone who’s a definite starter.

Unless actually all this time he’s been our plan at DM.

maybe the universe owes us a good italian international after Aquilani and Balotelli…

fuck it… im in.

4 Likes

Breaking :rotating_light:: Juventus have shown Chiesa a PowerPoint presentation about how much he loves red wine, macaroni cheese and the spectacular mountain views from the Mole Antonelliana tower. His move to LFC is now in doubt.

14 Likes

We’d be getting him for about the same as the kids we’ve been selling. From that pov , what have we got to lose … apart from £12m ? Seriously though , he’s been asking for an increase on his £150k at Juve , surely we’re not going to entertain that.

I’d like to think that if that’s true and they’re selling him rather than offering him a new contract, he’d get the hint that he probably will have to accept a cut in his salary. Otherwise, I think it’s probably going to be a polite “no” from us.

I found Graham’s interview rather interesting in this regard, that apparently time and again the evidence suggests that what wins trophies isn’t transfer expenditure but wages. I think though how you spend your wages is also very crucial, and we’ve done relatively well for the most part.

1 Like

I’m coming around to thinking this wouldn’t be such a bad move assuming that he wouldn’t be starting most games and would essentially be Mo’s back up. Maybe as @rab jokingly said, taking him on loan would be sensible. Maybe with an obligation to buy based on him being injury-free for a set number of weeks.

Never mind the ACL, I’m more concerned about all the muscle problems he had last season. Nonetheless, a highly experienced player with great technique for next to bugger-all money is someone we should go for provided that he’s willing to take a pay cut. He’d have to prove himself with us first before he got to 150k, be it pounds or euros.

3 Likes

He’ll just be a rotational option for sure, which allows us to manage his minutes if there’re concerns around his body’s ability to handle the physical aspects of the league.

I’ve been on about Chiesa all summer as a cheap option, with bags of international and top level experience. It’s a signing we’d be all over before, someone who could potentially be undervalued, and low risk. If it doesn’t work out, we won’t necessarily lose too much.

My only concern is that we’d be stacked heavily in our attacking areas. Maybe the additional Champions League games has come into our thinking, and that we’re likely to attack the cup competitions too. However, I can’t help but have a very little nagging feeling that we may see a surprise departure. I’m probably overthinking it. Salah, Diaz, Jota, Gakpo and Nunez would all be ahead of Chiesa, and he’s still an Italian international who won’t want to lose a spot in the squad. Considering subs appearances, and Elliott also wanting games, it does feel quite loaded there.

1 Like

I’m not concerned about that at all.

I still remember when Koumas and Danns were getting to play in a cup final because of the injuries to our forward line. I’m cool with having more depth, especially if it means the freedom to rotate and rest.

4 Likes

You can only see the mountains about three days a fucking year…

This move is guaranteed.

1 Like