Federico Chiesa (AM) Juventus

Why would we entertain the idea of taking on an injury prone Italian player just because he is cheap. It’s agents bullshit to stir up interest. He struggled in a soft league.

:thinking:

2 Likes

Injury wise.

Thing is, serious knee injuries require a lot of rehab, and there will be issues that follow after more than a year out. We were lucky with Virgil, but then saw the issues Gomez had to get through.

Seems hes past the worst of the injuries with a fair bit of game time last season. Provided his knee is repaired to the standard, im relaxed about it.

If we were United we’d be offering Juve £45m and Chiesa 250kpw…but we arent United, so im not too concerned.

4 Likes

He is comfortable with the ball under both his feet. No brainer for 12 million if you ask me. Hopefully his wages are reasonable and stays fit.

1 Like

Sounds more like a trained seal…

9 Likes

I wished I had muscle problems

And did it come true?

3 Likes

That’s the type of player for us then… :sob:

1 Like

Yeah so it would suggest he is over the worst of it.

Of our team on Saturday I would hazard a rough guess that 7-8 missed a similar it not more days out.

1 Like

Add to that, he made 33 appearances in Serie A last season, with just a few weeks off due to these niggling injuries

Squad: 33, Starting eleven: 25, Substituted in: 8, On the bench: 0, Suspended: 0, Injured: 5, Absence: 0

Including cup appearances, he played 2,512 minutes. Thats around 28 full games.

8 Likes

I’m comfortable with him coming in and playing a Thiago-like role. Low fee, luxury option to absorb some, but not a lot of game time but enough to allow us to give Salah a bit of a breather on the right.

When he is available, we will have a quality option but not expecting more. If he can play more… great. That will be a bonus - hence the opportunistic portion of this.

IMO, the exact type of player we need if we are looking to extend Salah for another year or two.

The problem with having a young player as backup is that too much time on the bench will curb his upside potential. Hence, why I believe, we are considering letting Bajcetic out on loan. It will benefit us in the long-run.

3 Likes

In performance bonuses maybe? I don’t have a problem if that were the case.

Seems that his first choice is Barca. Barca who can’t register players because they are too skint.

Well last season that was making coffee for the physios.

Thiago was known to be a little fragile when he joined us, although that was exacerbated when Everton crocked him.

If we are looking at a back up roll, then surely we need someone that has a good chance of being fit when needed?

6 Likes

I’m not sure I’d read too much into those “Barca first choice” articles.

When it is too easy for a journalist to write something that can’t be verified, it has just as much chance of being true as make-belief. Maybe more chance at being make-belief.

1 Like

There are a number of strategies to use a backup. One would be to have him absorb some minutes so we can take Salah off early in games the key being to manage minutes during a season to prevent injury or burnout.

Obviously if Chiesa were consistently healthy he would probably cost a lot more and might not be willing to come (demand more of a starring role).

2 Likes

As far as I understand, he was pretty fit again last season and played a lot of games, which should put our minds at ease, especially as he really is a bargain for what he can do, he would be a player who would definitely make us better. However, I’m still a bit hesitant as long as Barcelona is still involved. Fortunately, a quick decision is in sight, as the transfer window is closing soon.

1 Like

I’m less fickle. I don’t want him.
Injuries; Juve trying to offload; really late in the window. Real Italian mistake deja vu of Acquilani, Melo, Borini, Dossena etc… Price once wages and rehab staff are added also won’t be great and, if you think we are (presumably) haggling with Virg/Mo (if not Trent) over wages regarding contract extensions, it seems a poor use of money.

1 Like