FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

Nothing to suggest England can do better under Southgate.

The worrying item for me is Iran have scored four goals, while we’ve hardly looked like scoring. England never gave Pulisic any space near goal, and Iran need only do the same, I fear.

Southgate is a footballing coward, I agree if he wanted a bit of creativity Foden and Trent should be playing. Boring twat.

7 Likes

What a complete load of embarrassing shite :rofl: Fuck off England, seriously, just get fucked :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Kieran Tripper Vs USA

0 Tackles
0 Interceptions
0 Blocked shots
1 Dribbled past.
Much better than Trent my arse.

6 Likes

Pretty much.

Would need USA and Wales to both win on Monday, with Wales winning by 4 goals for ENgland to drop to 3rd

One win in 9 for England and people seriously think we have a chance at winning it.

1 Like

Edit: @El_Dorado Sorry, I thought I quoted a post about the US strength in midfield so dont know why it’s showing this comment (I have been drinking)

If you look at the US over the past 10 years or so, the role where I think they’ve been the strongest is in midfield, specifically producing combative CMs who can run all day and do enough with the ball when they win it that they’re not a liability. For Jermaine Jones in the previous decade, you now have a trio of Adams, McKennie and Musah who are following him. To me this is not surprising because from my perspective of how the US system is set up this is the role I’d imagine they’d produce the most of who could play at this level - they have tons of kid, and in that number there is sure to be a high enough of just pure raw athletes who with a bit of technical ability can parlay that into a good career.
Yet, when you look at those 4, only Adams was actually produced by US football as the other 3 were raised elsewhere. McKennie and Jones were air force kids who were raised in Germany and Musah I remember years back from the Arsenal academy.

As for England, that was shit. Difficult to argue with the selection as on paper it looks like a decent side, but with us playing as bad as that, Foden must have pissed on Southgate’s chips to sit the entire time.

6 Likes

As for the Wales game this morning, I was disappointed with the red but grudgingly accept it. It is the sort of challenge I think should be punished more harshly than it usually is, so i was not surprised to see it initially as only a yellow card I couldnt complain about it being a red on review after seeing him knee the Iranian in hte face. However, I just read that the red was actually for Dogso, which is an utterly baffling decision.

3 Likes

I find it baffling that Rice, Bellingham, and Mount would get overrun by three kids who don’t usually play as high tempo matches as our trio usually do. And all our three are reasonable athletic

I thought it was because of their positioning. The team looked to be fairly spread out, so they were easily isolated particularly Mount who was either going wide or forward so not providing as much cover to the other two.

2 Likes

One for the ladies

Sorry ladies :frowning_face:

I would say the US trio, while not necessarily as talented a group, are very much used to the same tempo - playing in the top leagues in England, Spain, and Italy

1 Like

Is there not some Qatar law prohibiting that?

1 Like

Well it’s not like he’s wearing a rainbow or a shirt with some slogan suggesting people treat each with respect so I don’t know why they’d have a problem with it.

6 Likes

Com’on Wales! do it for USA and Iran?
I’m following this closely as you can tell. :rofl:

How Mount stayed on for the entire game is beyond me. Foden should have come in no later than 60mins. But it’s more than personnel with England. The quality of the players is sufficient to beat America. But somehow they conspired to return to old habits and play a turgid game, filled with fear.

As an English man living in the States, could they not even give me one good performance? Bastards. Now I will have to listen to all sorts of comments from neighbors, colleagues and so on.

I am now torn between wanting England to do well and wanting them to fall flat on their asses!

I’m still struggling to see past France to win the lot.

American midfield is made up of a juventus player, a valencia player, and a leeds player (Adams is capable of moving up a level imho), with a Dortmund player and another Leeds player on the bench. All the comments about can’t even beat the Americans is going off outdated stereotypes. That is a good team. They are lacking a true #9 and a dominate CB, but are a team. 3rd youngest in tourny, and in 4 years i expect them to be capable of qualifying for knock outs and to be able to go on run if they get a touch of luck. If this was some middling European team i think people would see them as a tough out.

I get the desire to put the Americans in the ‘shit at football’ box, but don’t think that is the case any longer. A touch of lingering historic disrespect coupled with a desire for Americans to be shit at something :sweat_smile:.

And for the record, Americans have the American version of Southgate as a manager.

5 Likes

Was a do not lose and in a way it’s probably a good idea.

Problem is this is typical Southgate and you wonder if there is anything more to him than that.

Not sure Spain will say do the same against Germany though you probably make the case. Even more so with them.

And to think he is going to dedicate his first goal to Jair Bolosarno at this World Cup

Let’s hope he doesn’t get one.

3 Likes