FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

Italy hasnt got into the KO stages of the tournament since 2006! It’s difficult to get your head around how much of the latter stages of the recent world cups has occurred without either of these two being involved.

1 Like

curse of Baggio’s mullet.

It’s fine. a bit of the ball is clearly on the line and the angle is still not 100% right (why is the goal post not in line with the white line)

2 Likes

I just seen that Japan goal, in my view, it went over the line and it should have been a goal kick. So, the score should have been 1-1.

Fortunately has a champion’s medal for the rest of his life.

3 Likes

Its clearly on the line with that angle, and that is still not completely 90 degrees. I think this should be a very routine check considering they’ve been using similar check in tennis for ages. Dunno why it took so long. I think where tennis and cricket are ahead is all these decisions are animated and shown on live screen even before the umpires call them out, so the crowd already know whats going to happen.

6 Likes

Read on Twitter:

Not sure the ball was in, but the Germans are definitely out.

Some fascinating geopolitics in the next round

US Vs Holland - winner keeps NYC
Spain vs Morocco - Winner gets Sevile
Argentina vs Aussie - winner gets to send their worst Italians to the other country

1 Like

Bring the line in line with? Course you can but it’s 2 words :smiley:

But yes ultimately you are correct it would look more in if the camera was aligned fully.

Was the goal given in play? If so it’s a goal because I’ve seen several angles that put it just in and one that’s just out but blurred. To rule it out would be as much an injustice.

2 Likes

No lino put flag up after ball went in and then went to a long(ish) VAR

Hmm unsure then

Scrap that goal all day long as it gave me 2.72

Sort of. The ref didnt blow his whistle to stop play, but the lino did flag it. So is a flag sufficient for a call on the field being that it was out? I don’t think so as I dont think linos have that authority.

I’m confused on why the new chip in the ball that’s at the center of the semi automated offsides cannot be used to determine if its over the line?

1 Like

2 Likes

I didn’t bother getting up at 04:00, or even after that, to watch what everyone including me thought was a foregone conclusion.
Maybe I should continue not bothering and Japan will go on to win the bloody thing!

1 Like

If one of the underdogs goes and wins the World Cup, whether it be Australia Senegal Morocco Japan USA (god forbid), I’m moving to that country.

1 Like

Imagine this is what eliminated Germany from the world cup.
Very harsh. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Gonna be controversial here but I reckon the this Germany side is actually better than the 2014 side.