FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

“I’m still here!”

4 Likes

Why did he not take Origi? Origi would have finished off those chances Lukaku missed. He lives for those moments.

5 Likes

Origi blindfolded would have converted 2 of those goals.

5 Likes

Sometimes it’s better not to press the post button.

4 Likes

It’s an interesting point. Given the margins of error it is quite possible that both times the ball did cross the line. However, all you can go on is the best evidence available.

This does mean, however, that when the ball crosses for what would have been a goal kick, the advantage is given to the attacking side whereas if it appears to cross for a goal, the advantage is given to the defending side.

Exactly same rule but completely different outcomes.

1 Like

Some of the offside calls are just ludicrous.

• the Croatia penalty Carrasco conceded chalked off because…what…a HAND, a FINGER was offside? I mean the players were level in the graphic!

• what would have been Morocco’s third goal cancelled because of interference but the Moroccan player was in no way in the keeper’s eyeline.

Beeb starting on the Germany - CR match: “It’s an all-female officiating team…”

There’s a bloke standing right in the middle.

Granted he’s the fourth official but it’s not technically an all-female officiating team then, is it!

2 Likes

To our German fam. What are newspapers, ex footie pundits and sports journalists saying about Germany’s exit?

Is Hansi Flick’s job safe? I think he should be given a chance at least until the end of the Euros 2024. Home soil advantage as well.

3 Likes

I don’t think it is entirely unexpected but the manner that they went out was. There’s an article in English on Deutsche Welle (German World Service news) if you are interested:

2 Likes

Beeb: “De Bruyne put it on a plate for Mertens”

Except he didn’t. It was slightly behind Mertens, enough that he has to slow down and adjust before shooting and consequently skied the effort.

Also, why wasn’t Jeremy Doku used from match one? He is by far Belgium’s most penetrative player with his pace and quick feet.

Thanks for that A…
Been googling this conundrum since earlier and a few grey areas still present themselves, but it could be that I am just a crap sleuth. Such as…
a) The maximum width of the white lines is quoted as 5 inches imperial or 12cm metric.
b) Yet 5 inches actually equates to 12.7cm (7mm wider)
c) The minimum width of the white lines is quoted as 4 inches imperial or 10cm metric.
d) Yet 4 inches equates to 10.2cm (2mm wider)
e) Whatever range of width is used must be applied to all lines around same pitch
f) Shape of goalposts can vary as long as they present no danger to players
g) Outside perimeter pitch size, again has minimum/maximum range.
Furthermore, the more I delve into this subject the more confusion it rakes up. FIFA ruling seems to be different from other associations, and differing competitions bring further ‘loose’ guidelines to the party.
It just seems so strange when governing bodies are insisting human hair thickness technology be used to settle the yes/no or out/in debate, that it is farcical when the pitch marking datum-line they use to measure it against, is so slack in its specification.
Have no interest if the decisions in the WC are correct or not, it is the costly decision of ‘no-goal’ against the Cheaters that still irks me, for example, if the 4inch lines were used instead of 5inch, the goal would have been given…!

4 Likes

Who is Jonathan Harding anyway?

It’s ludicrous that anyone could come to the opinion that this Germany team aren’t good enough…sure they’ve had a disappointing last 2-3 tournaments but man for man they have as much talent as your France and Brazil sides.

Musiala Sane and Gnabry are 3 of the most dangerous attackers in world football.
Gundogan Kimmich and Goretszka are 3 of the best midfielders in the world.
Rudiger and Sule both CL winners over the last few years.

The fact that they failed to qualify from that group would suggest that they aren’t good enough.
Man for man talent notwithstanding, the team are a pale imitation of great German teams.

1 Like

Upsets happen all the time, great sides sometimes don’t get as far as they’d hoped.

Ultimately it comes down to that 1 game against Japan, they outplayed them bar 10 mins where they lost their coordination. Doesn’t mean they’re not good enough. Played very well to have commanded going into HT with qualification in the bag.

1 Like

The narrative that no-one seems to be running with is that Spain were crap. Spain lost their match. They had to rely on Germany winning theirs to progress.

I’m more reminded of Germany’s 2002 World Cup. They weren’t expected to do much but made it to the final. They had some very good players but some that were noticeably middling or ageing and in decline.

However, it’s all about results and tournament progression. As I said, no one seems to be discussing the team who actually lost last night, only the team that won.

Germany does have the luxury now of already having qualified for Euro 2024 so they can start playing some of their promising younger players in friendlies and give them some real experience. There were a couple of the younger players last night that really impressed me.

6 Likes

No one will talk about France or Argentina losing a game when the truth is if they had another heavyweight in their group like Germany did those 2 who many perceive as the favourites could easily have just been knocked out too.

And it’s the people that didn’t watch a single game of the World Cup or a single game of Germany’s group that will say “they didn’t qualify so they’re not good enough”

2 Likes

What a crazy World Cup, love it.

We were lucky yesterday in the final part of the game. Lukaku hitting the post, then missing a sitter, then Gvardiol pulling possibly the tackle of the tournament so far. That kid is going to cost a bomb next summer. Already plays like a little monster.

We’ll see if we can go through against Japan. We’ll obviously be favourites, but Japs are a pretty tricky side, especially in second halfs.

2 Likes

I missed the Croatia game, but was Gvardiol’s tackle as good as Souttars tackle against Tunisia?

After Japan’s results against Germany and Spain the odds wouldv’e been slightly reduced in Croatia’s favour but still favourites none the less. Japan currently 6/4 to qualify to Croatia’s 1/2.

Ultimately it will come down to which Croatia we see, if it’s the 1 we saw against Morocco it’s more of a 50/50…if it’s the one that showed their quality against Canada for the most part then I’d say it’s more 75/25.

Hmmm, good tackle.

Borderline as to which is better, guess it cimes down to personal preference…

And knowing that Souttar’s was just slightly better :wink: