FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

Punditry in sport, politics and nearly every walk of life is 99% woeful.

The 1% is for the diamonds in the rough, the Marina Hyde’s of this world.

A man who worships the former dictatorship is a step beyond someone who is accused and later absolved of corruption. I don’t want to make this political but it’s why I can’t feel much for this Brazilian team and if France beat England it is who I’d like to see win it.

1 Like

Korea win the second half 1-0. :clap::clap:

1 Like

Meh, it’s coz Brazil fairly downed tools. Kind of like some of our CL wins when we knew the job is done and conceded

She’s still on for the World Cup… Issue for her mind is all her predictions this year have been awful including not spotting an actual war as it escalated. Still Croatia you never know she’s made 20 predictions surely one has to be right.

I assume we will get a shock.

Both tomorrows games seem to have potential. I’d prefer Spain to survive if I had to pick but I also would like to see an African nation appear in the QFs.

I do love Portugal and I fell totally in love with Lisbon but they have Ronaldo :unamused:

They are absolutely fucking shit in a number of ways you cannot even count. This piece is amusing, but it glosses over the more important part - fox still treats its football viewers as people who need to have the game explained to them like it’s a weird Olympic sport no one has ever seen and is only being covered because we’re somehow in with a chance of a medal. It is patronizing, it trivializes everything, and robs you of the actual spectacle of covering it for what it is.

1 Like

I (finally/legally) moved to the U.S. a couple of weeks ago. My wife is from New York and we spent some months here when we first met, during the '07/'08 season; I remember at that time finding the coverage awkwardly patronising, especially when delivered by people who really didn’t seem to have too strong a grasp of the game themselves, but I just assumed that was the national standard.

Fourteen years later, the coverage is more or less the same. Whether the average U.S. fan is more knowledgeable now than in '08, I don’t know, but certainly the media seem to have stayed dead fucking still and, having talked about football in the interim with Americans in bars or online, it’s not really a fair representation in 2022, if it ever was.

After watching the highlights, Ali had an outstanding match! Some ridiculous saves, especially from Hwang in the first half and Son in the second. Their goal was a wicked deflection which he could do nothing about.

Also at the freekick it looked like at least two of the Koreans were marginally offside. Don’t understand why that wasn’t flagged. Fare more fine grained offsides have been given in this tournament

I assume the automated adjudged it wasn’t.

I think it’s generally worked well, of course some times it has been overly zealous but I think if it effectively works and nothing obvious is missed and VAR checks the mistakes it should be rolled out. I’d like a wider margin like an umpires call but I guess we will see.

I do think this system would have provided some very interesting decisions in our favour if it had been in sooner.

1 Like

Nice piece on Luis Enrique, looks like a decent guy and quite interesting to have gone on Twitch to talk to people directly.

One of the high of the world cup again is the Japanese display of pride and passion in playing and winning the game and the grace when losing the game. Both on and off the field.

11 Likes
2 Likes

Sony also wants to join us…

:joy:

Brozovic broke his old and the last World Cup record of the most distance covered in a match.

16.7km’s against Japan in Qatar.
16.4km’s against England in Russia.

Though both games went to extra times of course. He also ran 14km’s during 90 minutes against Canada.

Dude just came back from injury before this World Cup.

Maniac. :joy:

1 Like

He’s probably going to (along with the rest) have to do double that if they want to progress to the SF’s.

& this is why I never couldv’e been a pro footballer at any level, I’d struggle to cover 16.7m let alone km.

:pleading_face::heart:. So, moving.

2 Likes

He’s just rubbing everyone the wrong way isn’t he

2 Likes