FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

I am really upset seeing those instances, where we should have been awardedva freekick or penalty.

We were so near, yet far. These boys fought for each other, especially Jude, Marcus and Bukayo. I really feel for them.

Edit: i haven’t felt so sad since the Euros 1996.:disappointed_relieved:

These big games we never seem to create chances only rely on set pieces. We always end up blaming the refs over and praising Southgate for failing.

2 Likes

The stats suggest, we were the better team. What are France doing right which makes them succesful? Where did we fall short, less clinical with the end product?

;lsanf;lndsf

No. VAR cannot act to give a free kick. As there was no foul called by the ref the only avenue for VAR to do anything was to call a penalty. If it thought it was a foul but outside the box, which was my interpretation of what happened, then VAR would be forced to do nothing.

1 Like

A foul which continues into the box is still a penalty. VAR got it wrong.

Jase posted three different images. The first one you can see part of the boot behind the line, however the foul and contact is across the leg which is inside the box. The foul continues thereafter. This should be night and day. VAR failed here. Dramatically so. There’s no excuse for this.

1 Like

I always thought if the trip or foul occurred outside the line but continued over the line into the box… was left to the discretion of the referee to what verdict should be given :man_shrugging:

I wish they would change the rule that the defender had to actually foul the player not touch him because half the time the attacker deliberately makes contact with the defender as he goes down. The Portugal pen was a joke.

The second image doesn’t show a thing other than Harrys boot lying over Dayots.

The third image is the exact same as the first, only at a zoomed out angle with Theo in the picture.

The first 1 is where the foul occurs and it’s inconclusive whether its in or out because we really need to see it from an angle where the line is vertical not horizontal because it blocks the vision.

France just have better players at most positions and a lot more squad depth, IMO. Shows in key moments. Griezmann has been one of the best playmaking attackers for years. That service to Giroud was perfection, not to mention Giroud’s positioning and finish. Tchouaméni’s a DM for Real Madrid and didn’t miss his chance.

Circle back to the early run in the match up to the first France goal. France looked way deadlier in attack. Of course, once they scored, some of the onus was off them.

Having said that, England played very well. Walker had a fine match and mostly nullified Mbappe. Jordan Henderson played out of his head. Ran like a 22-year-old. In that good spell after the break, Rice, Bellingham and Foden all kicked on. But even if Kane makes his penalty, England have a lot to do to win the match.

Played well in losing to one of the best international sides. No shame in it at all.

4 Likes

Settled.

Not for the first time

1 Like

I do like Giroud, especially now he’s over in Serie A.

England deserved at least seventeen penalties.

1 Like

Amusing to see Kane embracing his inner Chris Waddle.

3 Likes

For me defo a foul on Saka, not given which led to France’s first goal. We see Mo getting fouled a lot worse every week and nothing is given.

However there was an awful lot to do to put the ball in the net. In the end a 25 yard shot went in the back of the net. One of those things.

I thought the ref was atrocious tbh.

I think England have a bit of how Spain/Dutch used to be. A really good team but can never quite get over the finishing line.

France were missing some players, so what? Would they have won 50-0 with Kante on the pitch? Infantile argument, as so were England missing some players.

WRT the football’s coming home song, the lyrics are ironic, about how hopes are raised but then dashed. Nothing to do with England thinking they have a divine right to win.

Anyhow, I’ll be way more gutted if we get knocked out by Real again in the Champions league than by England getting beat by the French which was mildly disappointing but quite honestly expected.

4 Likes

Exactly how I feel. And good points in your post.

1 Like

You know its baaaaaaad when RyanAir takes the piss.

He was never going to give it up, especially seeing as it was the one he needed to pass Rooney, but it felt stacked against him to have to score a second past his own club keeper. Too much going on in the head. The first one, sure. The second one felt like someone else should stepped up, and the fact that we all knew that was NEVER on the cards was why I was so convinced the second one was going to go tits up.

2 Likes

When we beat Cameroon in 1990 didn’t Lineker take all the penalties? Also who would take the pressure to be the second penalty taker? I can only think of Hendo who used to be our regular penalty taker at one point

He did take both of them, but he didnt face N’Kono in training every day which was the main issue I was raising. Getting over the mind games once of a guy who has been able to study in person how you take pens is one thing. Having to then do it a second time because much more challenging to block out all the second guessing. Not the fact he missed, but the fact it was such an awful penalty suggests that is what was going on in his head.

4 Likes