FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

Yeah I agree someone else should have taken the second one given Kane and Lloris’ familiarity…guess maybe getting two pens in a WC match is such a rarity that it wasn’t even considered.

England a bit unlucky today.Probably the better side but needed that bit of luck that France ended up getting with the deflection off Mcquires shoulder.On another day it could have gone their way.

2 Likes

Imagine the uproar if he as the captain and easily the best penalty taker in the team passed up that responsibility and whoever took it on went on the miss. There’s no way he could have done that. Imo people have way too many funky theories about penalties, your best taker should always take them and it’s that simple.

I know it’s not relevant to the Kane miss today but it genuinely blows my mind in shootout situations when players get brought on solely to take them and fluff their lines, or the better takers save themselves until last and then don’t even get a chance to take one.

4 Likes

I’m sure the possibility of penalties will have been discussed in advance before the game. Obviously Kane will have practiced with Lloris so he will know what his success rate is. The fact he sent the thing into orbit doesn’t negate that.

I’m reminded of Mané vs Mendy in last seasons League (?) Cup final. Klopp advised him to hit it the other side than usual and it was saved.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen you be this bothered about a Liverpool match, your only contributions are to moan about how shit we are.

England got dumped out because they’re shite. The referee had a stellar match, get over it.

4 Likes

IMHO… depending upon the stage of the game… determining the way a penalty is actually scored can bring a more post-positive reaction from the team. For instance, one bobbling across the line in the flukiest way possible is likely to be less inspiring for the players facing an uphill battle to actually win the game, than one taken that blasts a hole through the net taking the goalkeeper with it… In short, with England needing to go on to win the game last night, what better way to inspire his team-mates for a final adrenaline rush than blast it into the top corner with goalkeeper flapping and floundering in an attempt to save…
Obviously first and foremost priority is to score the penalty safest way possible, which anyone but Kane would have prioritised… but being captain of the side has worked against him I feel. Already beaten his club goalkeeper easily with the first one, looking to inspire his team with a spectacular strike, and last but least, scoring the goal that would make him the highest scoring England player ever… Rightly or wrongly he went for glory on many fronts… and a lot of England fans this morning all know how that turned out for Kane and for them…

1 Like

Feel like a kid completing Top Trumps.
All Liverpool players now resting :+1:

1 Like

Ahem…
Ibrahima Konate Football GIF by Liverpool FC

2 Likes

D’oh

Well it’s probably unlikely he will see any more game time unless Upamecano or Varane get injured (sure hope not).

I think it’s dumb of Deschamps not to play him alongside Upamecano as he is currently a far superior player to Varane but I guess he has his reasons.

2 Likes

Personally, I think it’s brilliant that Deschamps isn’t playing Ibou.

6 Likes

I’m just relieved I don’t have to spend Christmas in a cave

2 Likes

Interesting read. Seems like there’s some Argie-Dutch historical bad blood (among other things, Jesus what a shitshow of a World Cup that was!)

3 Likes

Can’t you argue that the other way round? He scored the first so he would have had far more confidence for the second. Conversely the keeper knew he’d been beaten once etc. Kane’s also seen how and where he dives and conducts himself for penalties. You wouldn’t have subbed the keeper I’m guessing? IF he’d have scored (lottery) then it’s never ever mentioned again. Nobody questions a player who scores a penalty no matter how it goes in.

Thankfully I couldn’t watch it live, wouldn’t have enjoyed it. Listening was bad enough.

2 Likes

I have no particularly fond feelings for Argentina, but I think it would be quite fitting for Messi to finish his career with a World Cup winners medal.

1 Like

Imagine if that was Henderson that missed the penalty that sent us home. :flushed:

2 Likes

Not to mention it would accelerate Ronaldo’s mental breakdown.

4 Likes

No, I don’t have that creative an imagination :wink:

Careful now, someone might find offence with that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea Harry :thinking:

2 Likes