FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

1 Like

Didier Deschamps was interviewed by Liverpool in 2010. The Reds liked the fact he came with youthful exuberance however, the board opted to go with Roy Hodgson after having doubts about the Frenchman’s lack of experience of managing in England

[Dominic King, Daily Mail]

1 Like

I suspect it did Deschamps managerial career no end of good by avoiding the Hicks and Gillett shitshow.

7 Likes

Can’t believe they crossed the streams.

Yeah, he was doing alright at that point after doing well with Monaco, getting promotion with Juve, winning stuff with Marseille. Not really as attractive as Klopp post-Dortmund, but interesting enough to think about him. Deschamps really became Deschamps the coach with France though. His stock these days is higher then it was then. But there are no guarantees that he could translate it to a top club or elite team. Still, what a career. When you look at the stuff he’s won both as a player (and at different places) and coach, plus the leader he’s been in both roles… outstanding.

I thought that Zidane would possibly takeover France after Qatar, but Noel le Graet (FFF president) yesterday said that he’s waiting (when the WC is over) on Didier’s answer over a contract extension. They want to continue with him. Not that it’s surprising. We’ll see what he does next.

4 Likes

Was wondering why Gio Reyna was so low profile this World Cup

1 Like

Hey @Zoran, looks like that world footballing authority, the Wall Street Journal, also has some analysis for your Croatia team. Had to chuckle when I saw it. Interesting tidbit in bold. Is any of it accurate?

“Croatia’s midfield has been so suffocating for so long, in part because of the country’s deep reservoir of skilled playmakers, many of whom have played together since childhood. Modric is one of seven players on the squad who came up through Dinamo Zagreb’s academy—no single club has produced more players on national teams that reached the World Cup knockout rounds in Qatar.

3 Likes

1 Like

Stop being disrespectful.

I showed home nation solidarity, why cant you?

What ever Messi wants Messi gets.

Italian Ref Daniele Orsato will be in charge for Argentina vs Croatia and a Mexican ref for the other game.

Let’s just say that you were part of a pretty exclusive group. Some from the other group even exist on here and were more than happy to throw the banter about. So that door springs both ways, as it always has done.

So it’s happily directed in that direction. An oh watching the butt hurt unfold, particularly in the press has been golden. And that in my opinion is fair game considering what was being said after the first game. You know what they’re like.

Secondly I prewarned everyone on here what would happen when / if England lost.

As far as the game itself is concerned I know very little about it other than having seen both penalty decisions, the goal and miss.

2 Likes

Berhalter acting more and more like Roger’s - has to leak and trash a good player to show the press what a talented genius of a coach he is.

2 Likes

Slow tonight, can’t believe you fell for that.

You do know my only home nation solidarity was for Wales against Engerlund right?

2 Likes

He was crap no worse than the Brazilian one mind.

Oliver gone home yet?

I dont like Berhalter and think he’s limited, but I think the reaction to this is largely a case of having already picked sides with people who dont like/rae him using it as an excuse to stick the boot in. On the other side though, Gio with his international experience and having grown up the way he did should have been a far better leader for the side and its not reasonable for him to have acted the way he has reported to have acted and expect the stories of it would not leak leak. He needs to take ownership of that shitty behavior and not hide behind an unreasonable expectation that because he said sorry, after the damage had been done, that it would never come out.

I think with so many people looking to stick the boot in on Berhalter the really interesting thread is not being pulled…does he accept Gio’s response that he was told preemptively that he would play little role, and if so what was his justification for that decision? What he has said about it seemed to position the decision as a series of ad hoc ones based on concerns over fitness (is he ready…doesnt look it so we’ll go with someone else), but Gio’s retelling suggests that the things that would have raised issues over his fitness (his lack of effort in a training game) came after he’d already been told he wouldnt play a significant role. I do think Berhalter needs to answer that question, and for it to be defensible, if people are going to have any faith in him going forward

2 Likes

I was telling one of my US cousins exactly this. That was a dick move by Berhalter. Keep that shit in-house

1 Like

Not sure what to make of this. I read what Van Gaal said about them having advantage in penalties, but was that really THAT disrespectful?

Meh, it’s what managers do. See the Croatia manager making an issue of the complete non-issue of the Candian manager’s comments to his team after the Belgium game. I guess the point is dont expect anything to come out of a manager’s mouth that isn’t completely self-serving.

2 Likes