FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

A companion piece to their podcast from Bennet and Vietor

4 Likes

Excellent article. Hopefully there will be many more of this kind.

Here is a link given in the article to the site of Human Rights Watch. There is a petition addressed towards FIFA, everyone should sign it:

2 Likes
1 Like

Swiss media also reporting today that FIFA has been sued in multiple countries at once, for “climatic greenwashing”

1 Like

He really isn’t helping the situation.

Seems to me much less hype about this World Cup than any other. Could all change when it starts but I expect viewing figures to significantly down and I think that’s mostly down to the time of year and not meeting people’s association with summer time, good times and the World Cup. Moral argument aside I think FIFA have shot themselves in the foot by watering down their own brand and will live to regret it.

2 Likes

Gets sillier by the minute

1 Like

ÂŁ60 a day?!?!

Stick another ‘0’ on that and I’m there.

If you mean that then you can fuck off from here, permanently.

1 Like

I wonder if the Qataries are doing this policy for each World Cup country’s fans, to give a supposedly good impression at the World Cup.

I can see some sneaky protests rippling through and Qataries getting embarrassed at some point.

1 Like

They have targetted fans from every country who are attending.People will need to be very careful as these fans groups are being asked to inform/report on other fans if they do or say something which Qatar might find offensive or perhaps want to make an example of to show the world they are intolerant of certain things.God knows what punishment Qatar could dish out in order to seem progressive to the world.

2 Likes

That English guy doing it was fucking stupid to allow his name/photo/identifying role to be published.

You can guarantee some pissed up wanker will take great joy in sticking that trumpet somewhere painful

1 Like

In a way it is a shame some of my mates aren’t going this time around.

They would be the sort that would take the piss and lead the singing of It’s Raining Men, I Want To Break Free or YMCA just to stir up shit

1 Like

Alphonso Davies is a doubt for the World Cup

I think viewing figures will be up in this half of the world. Given the dark nights of winter. Doesn’t make it right. I’d love to do the moral thing and boycott but know I’ll get sucked in #shame

1 Like

Not sure if posted elsewhere, but these are from Germany this weekend I believe.

8 Likes

Yup, I said if I do I’ll try and only watch BBC due to the fact it doesn’t carry adverts I have said I won’t be sharing any match thoughts on social media as they feed off this garbage.

1 Like

I am absolutely gutted for him, but I cannot help but think that this is great for us and can only benefit us…

2 Likes

He was one of those 50/50 did expect him to go but didn’t expect him to play much.