Former players and managers - general discussion

I think that’s my point?

1 Like

He can go fuck himself. As much as the agent is a loathsome cretin , he had everyone from carra to Stevie whom he could talk to for advice.

1 Like

TBF, you’d only have to hear each of them talking normally to have chosen Johnny Barnes. His natural speaking voice is lovely. :+1::nerd_face:

3 Likes

Upper middle class Jamaican - a hybrid RP with a bit of exoticism. He would have been a celebrity superstar if he’d been born a generation later.

2 Likes

He was a teenager. Not only would he have been quite easy to manipulate, it is quite clear that the agent was making unauthorised interviews as well.

Not a big fan of Bobby Duncan. Young players need to knuckle down and work hard and show what they can do. When they start shouting the odds a bit too soon, it’s unbecoming. I don’t like Sterling for the same reason, but he won’t care as he went on to win multiple Premier League trophies after he left us, while also earning many millions.

Who did Bobby Duncan go on to play for? What sort of career has he carved out for himself?

The level of his ability is not on the agent, even if said agent was probably a bad one.

Duncan says it wasn’t even his agent, but an unofficial advisor who took it upon himself to start airing grievances. Duncan says at the point that happened too many bridges had been burned with the club for him to make it right.

Honestly, lots of the story doesn’t add up/ You’d imagine if he went into the club and apologized saying the guy was not speaking for him and isnt affiliated with him that they wouldnt hold it against him, and sot he fact he didnt suggests the club likely wouldnt have believed such a spiel. It seems likely that while the comments were not authorized and made by someone who wasnt his agent, were at least things the club knew he felt.

3 Likes

Not sure all the ins and out… he was a kid poorly advised and poorly served by the leeches around him. But at the same time, he did not continue to grow as a player to have the talent or reach anything near the levels his youth career promised. Maybe there is a physical component to that as well all grow and mature on different paths as teens, but him coming out and blaming others (granted who clearly deserve blame) for his disappointment in where his career is now suggests to me that he never learned what it actually takes to compete at the highest levels in one of the most competitive professions in the world.

4 Likes

I remember seeing at the time a suggestion by someone that he knew that he was never going to make it at Liverpool, hence clamouring for an exit so he could start getting first-team opportunities somewhere.

Not hard to see how the feelings could be genuine, and yet his exit being a result of the agent/people around him.

My take is that better advice could have made him realise that the club does seem to have a sincere interest in the long-term success of our youth players, and that they have far more expertise than his judgment about where he stands and what his prospects are.

1 Like

We lost our chance :pensive::pensive:

I always shudder when I see any reference to AC and probably Kenny does too. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Paul Konchesky is the Westham WSL team manager :astonished:

And he can grow hair :exploding_head:

2 Likes

It was evident he could, that bald head did him no favours in the slightest.

4 Likes

'My previous clubs". Can’t you name us?

Elijah Dixon-Bonner on trial at QPR

2 Likes

Charlie Adams retires from football. :woozy_face:

1 Like

That’s a higher level than his previous trial, isn’t it?

I thought he did that when he signed for us? :wink: In fairness he had a good run at Stoke. I’d be tempted to say that they were his level but I think he was probably our level when he played for us. Luis Suárez flattered us during that period to make us look better than we were.

1 Like