Former players and managers - general discussion

Get well soon super sub
Some sad news this afternoon that Liverpool legend David Fairclough has suffered a stroke.

On a positive note, it’s good to hear he’s recovering in hospital.

Speedy recovery

8 Likes
10 Likes

Migs played an absolute blinder vs Atletico for a 0-0 draw away

5 Likes

Good for him. Was generally a very solid shot stopper… just not able to command the box, deal with crosses, or kick.

Still always seemed committed and giving his best for us. Wish him every success.

8 Likes

That is such a myth. At one point he was worst in the league for shot stopping…

In general, oddly overrated because he made what should have been easy saves look hard, like a certain other ex-Sunderland keeper.

Except fond of giving interviews that undermined his own teammate.

2 Likes
8 Likes

Former Liverpool player Elijah Dixon-Bonner has joined QPR, putting pen to paper as a free agent after leaving the Reds in the summer.

4 Likes

Whenever I see that goal I think that’s one of the best moves/goals in our history.

Beauty.

I think I’d adore Terry Mac if I was alive back then.

3 Likes

It was also chipped by his weaker foot…!

1 Like

What a slick move and a sublime finish at the end of it!

1 Like

Yep and the pitches back then were lumpy and heavy - the talent across that team was immense and many of the current stars would look v ordinary playing back then. It’s all very well to wax lyrical about our 2018-9 and 2019-20 teams but the reality is that they just don’t deserve to be put alongside that team which was really the world’s best.

3 Likes

Another outstanding team goal, scored by Terry Mac:

7 Likes

And the best thing about this goal is that he actually deliberately lifts it to volley it, from downtown. I mean what the f*ck. Genius.

:joy:

7 Likes

It’s a strange experience to have grown up with the idea of pass and move is the liverpool grove and then watch old fooage of those teams and see how industrial it looks now. You see a “cultured” midfielder just pumping a ball into the corner for someone to fight for and you question what that reputation was based on. But then you see goals like this. The difference between us and the other sides was when we got the ball into the right positions we could play this way. So what that meant was to succeed you needed the fight to go and win those 50-50s, but also the talent and flair to play this sort of one touch marvellesnous.

I think one of the best praise you can give this era’s team, is every instant classic goal Klopp’s team scores (think that header by Mo against City and Terry Mac’s goal against Spurs) you can find an analogue scored by one of Paisley’s sides.

4 Likes

Not to start a fight but the idea that players were more talented a few decades ago is just not true.

2 Likes

Too young for the 80s, but that video above by @cynicaloldgit really just drives the point home. Someone should do an overlay of the goals…

2 Likes

That shirt/shorts combo was my favourite ever away kit. :heart::nerd_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, we should opt for that combination more often. Tired of nonsense away kit combinations, the constant need to invent something new (and pretty ugly at that) every year.

1 Like

I keep hearing that Belgian beer isn’t as strong as it used to be.

2 Likes
3 Likes