Former players and managers - general discussion

Is the Liverbird not based on a Cormorant?

Also I seem to remember in the period 68-87 the LFC lettering underneath the Liverbird on the kits changed from arced to horizontal at some point. I’m unsure if the photo is a representation of the club crest or the badge on our shirt? I don’t remember us using the 125 years entity as a crest? :nerd_face:

3 Likes

The earlier crests were little metal badges I think… Well, I remember my dad getting them from the Liverpool Supporters Club for me as a kid… Still got them somewhere - just found an image of the latter day badge 1999 on this scarf here also

4 Likes
2 Likes

Interesting also that the current version is almost a carbon copy from the one of 1968. A reference to Shankly’s time at the club? Probably.

3 Likes

I think there is an element to that but it’s also a much neater design. Shankly was behind the all-red kit and the simple white design of the badge is an element of that.

6 Likes

I’d love the club to do kits without sponsors on. I know it’s a pipe dream as SC and Expedia pay a lot of money to have their name in the public eye. I can honestly say that although I know that SC are chartered bankers I don’t haveva clue what Expedia or AXA for that matter do as businesses. I will say though that if I needed the services of a chartered banker I’d not be swayed to use SC just because they sponsor us. The same way that I’ve not purposely gone out and bought Hitachi, Candy, Crown Paints or Carlsberg products for that reason either.
I have though bought ‘blackout’ items just for the fact that they look a lot neater and simple than the standard gear.
The Arse did a ‘whiteout’ kit (with the sponsors’ permission) last season to highlight knife crime. In my opinion it looked boss. If we did something similar I’d definitely buy it. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

God I hated that kit. Even at the time it looked like a cheap knock off you could pick up at the fair for a fiver.

Expedia is a travel company to be fair I got a decent deal on them once but it wasn’t because I stared at my sleeve for a while.

Axa is insurance but yeah our main sponsor is a bit of an odd one, saying that considering what’s happened with cryto it’s probably we did nothing much more than explore the option this summer.

I hope advertising stops at sleeves, I noticed in Portugal they’ve moved the names to the bottom of the back.

2 Likes

Remarkedly similar to Torres’ goal against Blackburn

4 Likes

I saw a South American game/clip recently with a linesman running the line with the Pepsi insignia on the back of his shirt… Won’t be long before it happens in the PL eh… Wonder if there are any companies called Gobshites Forever that are willing to sponsor a deal…!
Be good seeing those useless F***ers running in front of the home fans with that printed on their back :0)

might be an insult to Gobshites, I think Fake Officials (F.O) , plastered on the front and back, and the crowds yelling at them “ hey F. O” at every game until they begin to become professional in doing their job.

I have a health insurance policy with Axa. Nothing to do with the sponsorship, I’ve had it since the late 90s. They are not a particularly likeable company. They take every opportunity to raise premiums and limit payouts. That’s the insurance business I suppose, but it’s particularly nasty when it concerns health.

1 Like

The Scottish Prem were sponsored by Specsavers.

:joy::nerd_face:

1 Like

The lovable man of the people Ross Douglas…

1 Like

That’s kind of Scottish football for you. Last time I was at a game it was Specsavers sponsoring the refs and Samaritans sponsoring the match.

1 Like
8 Likes

Brilliant, I think Barnes is perfect for a role like that.

Proud of him.

5 Likes

About time. Havent a clue why he wasnt already.

4 Likes

Michael Owen has hopefully been binned off.

4 Likes