Former players and managers - general discussion

Hopefully he can let in a few for sandcastle next season…

7 Likes

Good stuff, this…

2 Likes

What goes underappreciated is the adaptation he made to the absurd scoring run Luis found himself on. When he came in the assumption was that as the more natural goal scorer he would be the rush to Luis’ Kenny, but it obviously didn’t quite turn out like that and that was in no small part because of how adaptable and well rounded a player Sturridge turned out to be.

One of the goals from that period that sticks in my head the most was one Luis scored on a breakaway after a dummy by Studge sold pretty much the entire defense and left Luis all on his own.

2 Likes

Rodgers found good a good way with them two going forward, although not very good or complete enough defensively. Also needed a few better individuals there at the back.

Sturridge was such also because of his limitations. He wasn’t one for carrying an attack on his shoulders up top on his own like Torres (or Suarez). Not even in his prime, not at the top level. But that’s no shame, not many are and we’re also talking about somewhat different eras.

But he was best when he’s used in a system where he’s not the only one up top and has the freedom to move around a bit, play on his instict, at least in possession.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/LFCHistoryShow/status/1680202111768834055?s=20

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/ThatRexGuy/status/1680943443370037251?s=20

2 Likes

Sell on fee?

I’ve just been reading that Naby is injured and will miss the beginning of the season.
I know it’s not funny but I couldn’t stop myself from laughing.

I understand, but find it really really sad personally because he had the ability and potential to be a dominant game changing midfielder for us - a legend who ripped opponents midfields apart. And his legacy is going to be what might have been instead - for the whole of his career realty.

Like Sturridge only without that one magical season that left us all with fond memories

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/benbocsak/status/1682456592514535427?s=61&t=CHnRQ3uRWoyAgq-tzUnftA

2 Likes

Well not that the ultras were unhappy with his appointment. Ultras were deeply angered with the new board and sporting director due to the undeserved sacking of previous manager (Robert Prosinecki) who was fans favorite as well. Ultras did not want Albert they wanted Prosinecki back.

And after winning all there is to win in Slovenia the board sacked Riera as well.

Riera promised to the ultras he’ll never manage another Slovenian team except Olimpija or national team. He broke that promise and took the job of Celje (pronounced Tzelyeh) which is a good well organized club with consortium of businessmen from Russia as their owners. The head of these businessmen is no other than Maxim Demin (Bournemouth owner).

5 Likes

You’re gonna have to help me out here Vipes :smiley:, I take it the “T” is silent…

Never knew you were Slovenian, or living in Slovenia so this is a pretty cool insight into the early management career of 1 of our former players. :+1:

1 Like

Yeah, T is silent. (Celje pronunciation: How to pronounce Celje in Slovenian)

Yeah, where did you think I was coming from? :smiley:

It’s a nice country nature wise. A lot of players of different sports love it here. The only downside here is corruption everywhere you look.

But yeah, it’s interesting watching Riera. Fresh and interesting football philosophy for a lot of our managers who are mentally and tactically still in 80’s Yugoslavia.

4 Likes

I see I see.

No idea, I kinda just assume everyone’s either British or American unless they repeat it enough times where they’re actually from it finally sticks…my memories pretty subpar as it is without trying to get the nitty and gritty where everyone’s from :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure every country has it’s +ve and -ve, only haven’t got round to visiting all 200 or however many there is yet to judge first hand :grimacing:

I wonder what prompted him to go back on his word then? Is Olimpija not the biggest club in Slovenia?

1 Like

The most succesful club from 1991 onwards (when Slovenia became independent) I must grudgingly admit is NK Maribor. Olimpija was THE club from Slovenia (but very average in Yugoslavian league) back in the Yugoslavia days. In 2004 the club declared bankruptcy and didn’t even apply for a licensing. So the old Olimpija was gone. In 2005 they’ve started as a new club Olimpija Bezigrad (Bezigrad is a part/neighborhood of Ljubljana) but from 5th league. After 3 years they renamed back to original name of NK (NK = FC) Olimpija Ljubljana.

What made Riera join Celje… Hard to say, the lad (to be perfectly honest) has a big ego. Maybe he thought he’ll be very sought after. There were some links in Turkey but nothing materialized. I guess the project (there are a lot of decent players there) and a nice fat check convinced him.

3 Likes

Sounds like a cunt. Never worked as a player for us, won’t ever work as a manager either.

Well if you ask managers of other clubs he is behaving like a bit of a cunt. Schooling everyone and everybody about football and how to behave. He almost got into a fistfight with NK Koper sporting director during the game.

Albert is somewhat special character as Brendan would say. :laughing:

Hiya @MViper glad to see you. So, what’s your opinion about Celje; my understanding is that Slovenian football is pretty much dominated by Maribor and Ljubljana.

1 Like

Hey Ifti, you okay?

Celje finished 2nd last year. Olimpija won easily, both trophies (national cup and championship).

Celje were champions in 19/20 season but not because of being great it’s just everybody else were shite.

EDIT: Celje is well organized club with serious backings from Russian/Ukrainian consortium. They’ve acquired players from championship winning team NK Mura, brought some brightest Slovenian talents, added some experienced players and are producing some interesting youth players. They are on a right path to build a nice, professional European team. Because here in our league it’s completely normal that even fuckin city mayors are dictating who’s gonna play or not. All these titles (sports director, director of football, manager, coach, director of that, director of this) are just what they are - empty titles. Just something to get your friend a job. Professionalism in our clubs do not exist. The closest was NK Maribor with Zlatko Zahovic who was a little fat provocateur/dictator. And that worked. When he left everything went to a shitter.

And Celje is doing the things right way. If they’ll stay on this path success will be inevitable.

NK Maribor was on another planet in Slovenian football space right upto 17/18 season when their sporting director Zlatko Zahovic resigned together with his staff, manager and so on. Afterwards NK Maribor is/was struggling, they won only 2 titles since then, have incompetent leadership. Buying and spending on unknowns or spent force (Josip Ilicic is costing them half a budget and he’s shit, still recovering from depression, fat, slow and now he’s injured since months), their famous academy is now producing shit. They are faaaaar from their golden champions league/europa league team. They were badly struggling to overcome Maltese club Birkirkara in qualifications for the UEFA conference league.

Even though they look like they are slowly recovering. Their manager Krznar (whos biggest achievement was beating Spurs with NK Dinamo Zagreb) is a decent manager. Nothing special but it’s not easy being great in that clusterfuck of a club right now.

NK Olimpija had financial difficulties until Milan Mandaric took ownership in the summer of 2015. Afterwards the club became competitive (more or less) and fighting for the championships and cups. Mandaric did some of sportswashings (different account for spending on players and another (personal) account for selling the players, lol). Every summer completely new team, changing managers like socks but still built a decent team every season even with all those out of contracts unknown players. Some success was on behalf of Maribors struggles as well.

So, yeah. Those two teams more or less dominates our league just as you’ve said. There are some flashbacks of Mura, Celje and Koper but usually thanks to messed up season from the competition.

3 Likes