Former players and managers - general discussion

Had the honour of visiting his memorial with my lad.
Very nostalgic day out, spoiled later on by a fucking beach ball :rage:

3 Likes

ā€œso many who reached the pinnacle of achievementā€. So who are the others?

Glenbuck was a tiny mining village which had a Junior League side called the Cherrypickers. They were noted for having produced at least one professional footballer for each year of their existence including several internationals.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Do you know when that was from? It almost feels like passing the baton. Kenny was rarely a captain so it must narrow it down.

May 26th 1979 - Think it was Home Internationals

3 Likes

Didi just shut up already :man_facepalming:t2:

Has he even watched us?

TBF if Arsenal or City came in offering Ā£20m or more for Thiago Iā€™d bite their hands offā€¦

3 Likes

Hamann is just a bit of a wanker who says things for attention.

5 Likes

I know lots of people wont even consider him an ex player, but Iā€™ve just been reading about the turn Lambert has taken since retiring and it turns out heā€™s now an absolute loon. Did anyone else know this about him? I assume itā€™s more common knowledge back in the UK as his nonsense is likely fodder for the red tops

2 Likes

I donā€™t read the papers but Iā€™ve seen some of what heā€™s spouted, yes. Makes me even more ashamed that he played for Liverpool than I was based purely on his playing ability.

Or, maybe not. Itā€™s close. :thinking:

2 Likes

only read about it a couple of weeks ago. Someone here or on twitter posted a video of his. Really sad to see.

1 Like

I liked him as a player and saw the logic in picking him up. He was physically limited but was a smart and talented player. As a supplement to the fast 2014 side he would have been an effective option, used as a point person for the other faster attackers to run off and in behind as he linked in play. It turns out the team he joined was a different one, one that lost a lot of pace. That meant when he played his own limitations were exacerbated. The addition of Mario and their complete incompatibility made it even harder to find a solution that included him. In the end when he played it was as almost a lone target man with a void of support, which was surely not the plan.

But it does sound like the depression he fell into with the way his end of career went was the opening for this turn heā€™s now taken. Itā€™s a common story for these Q types. It fills a hole they have developed and need something to fill it

3 Likes

He played like heā€™d just worked 12 hours hard labour and gone to the pub for a few stiff ones before getting to Anfield. I donā€™t care about the idiot heā€™s turned into later in life, I just found it embarassing that he ever turned out for us in the first place.

2 Likes

Gone down the Le Tiss route.

All very lovely he got to play for his boyhood club but frankly Ings was several times the player he was.

He probably would have been a better player had we got Lambert in earlier in his career. But he wasnā€™t a player Liverpool should have signed in the first place. Credit to him for resurrecting his career after being released by Liverpool.

Signing the likes of him , Benteke and Balotelli was the starting of the end for Bodgers. I suspect Gerrard had quite a lot to do with this signing as well. Lambert and Gerrard probably played together in their youth days and sentimentality doesnā€™t work in football. We saw that sentimentality with Gerrard when he took over at Aston Villa and immediately worked to get Coutinho and Ings there. Also with him taking over at Al-whatever , He then wanted his mate Henderson there. Sorta like making the old boys club. This doesnā€™t cut it in modern sports now.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think Coutinho was a bad loan move for them but he seemed to drop once he signed properly.

Lads gone and to be honest should be a warning to most but they will still do it.

I was against that signing.

He was the typical lazy ā€œheā€™s a Liverpool fan, experienced, cheap and scored goalsā€ transfer.

Not good enough for us, never thought any different.

1 Like

It has been reported - Sturridge is going on Strictlyā€¦

Daniel Sturridge has reportedly been signed up to join BBCā€™s Strictly

2 Likes