Former players and managers - general discussion

I don’t remember that game either, so you’re not alone.

2 Likes

Emlyn was wearing Gola boots. That takes me back.

4 Likes

I am actually old enough to remember this game when we lost to a non league side in the FA Cup and I recall my father being devastated…our lowest point as a club

They probably did us a favour as Phil Taylor was sacked and it resulted in the arrival of Shanks. He actually applied for the job in 1951 and he was turned down.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t be lived down today.

I remember getting jokes the week after we beat Havant & Waterlooville 5-2 after going twice behind.

That game was so us.

Lucas’ first goal for Liverpool and what a strike. First of… a few.

:joy:

Never listened to score updates on BBC 5 Live since.

Had it on, 1-0 down
Turned it off - Equalised
Turned it on 2-1 down
Turned off

I was at that game. Skrtel was fucking terrible.

1 Like

I know I’ll probably get the daggers but that doesn’t narrow it down :wink:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UruguayanHeroes/status/1728907716293173706?t=5ZEvlhznNv15f7R9_mqJcA&s=19

4 Likes

Great overhead kick in a red shirt too. Well done Seb Coates.

4 Likes

Only seen there that Bobby Firmino’s dad passed away suddenly while out visiting Bobby in Saudi.

RIP

3 Likes
1 Like

Irony of lil’ Mickey complaining that football these days is being an athlete first and a footballer second whereas ‘in his day’ you had to be a ‘proper footballer’ and then going on to say that his game was speed and he regressed from age 22 after losing his acceleration.

2 Likes

OMG he really can’t seem to remember what happened when he left Madrid:

"Liverpool had signed a striker at the time was it Torres/Suarez". WTF? With missing out on the CL etc it seems he must have completely repressed about 3-4 seasons after that… !

Then apparently he says that he asked Liverpool (presumably Parry?) about signing for Newcastle with a clause that he could come to Liverpool after a season and was told to ‘do it’. Apparently this clause could operate any summer but it was never activated because of his injuries and then when his contract ended Carra said they didn’t need him because they had signed Ngog. The Ngog bit certainly sounds a stretch as he wasn’t signed as a starter and he also seemed to think Rogers was the manager not Benitez. Not sure he has the most reliable memory… He makes it sound like he wanted to go back to Liverpool but if he really wanted to all he needed to do was tell Madrid to stick it.

Also we did not ‘get decent value out of selling’ him. 8m was a steal and only possible because lil’ Mickey engineered it.

3 Likes

His mind really is an alternate universe. I listened to a long form interview he did with Cara about 5-6 years ago and he came across as such a sad man. There was some revising of history in the way he was recalling stories, but at that point it was far more focused on trying to portray himself as someone who only put on a front of being safe and boring, but deep down he was different.

“Woooor, you know me, Cara. I could knock the pints back with the best of them.”

It was 50% David Brent and 50% 14 year boy making up stories about finger blasting a girl behind the disco. He has seemed increasingly intent since then on rewriting the football part of his story not just the personal part

Yeah the thing that came across here was that he really relied upon his dad in terms of impressing him but otherwise he always lived in a cuckoo land about his ability etc. To be fair it’s probably an optimal strategy for a young footballer when they are breaking through and top footballers live in such a bubble that it’s not surprising he has been lazy and spent the majority of his life without really recalibrating. The difference is that he is putting it out there rather than staying shtum.

Luis played his last game for Grêmio last eve. Obviously he cried. His family cried. The coaches cried. The supporters cried.

“A couple of days before the game, I take three pills, and an hour before, I get an injection, otherwise I can’t play. I have to think, in five years, I won’t be able to play five-a-side with my friends”.

Isn’t he Miami-bound?

1 Like

24 goals and 17 assists in 52 games for Gremio.

He has won something with every side he’s played for, club and country, except for Groningen (one season there). Twice with Nacional, (one of) his local side(s).

Phenomenal player and career.

4 Likes