Former players and managers - general discussion

01-06-24…

On this day in 2012: Brendan Rodgers appointed Liverpool manager

6 Likes

Seems like a long forgotten nightmare.

1 Like

I’m going to be kind. Up and coming manager when he came, went within a hair’s breadth of winning the Prem, had us playing great football and scoring goals for fun, at its peak.

Yes, I’m well aware of the downside, but it’s all in the past and I don’t mind minimizing that to dwell on the good stuff, as we had some of that too.

8 Likes

Naby Keita hits new low as Bundesliga players make feelings clear on ex-Liverpool star

Naby Keita has been voted as the worst player in the Bundesliga - by the Bundesliga players themselves.

Having previously played in Germany for RB Leipzig, Keita returned to the Bundesliga with Werder Bremen, but it is safe to say that the switch didn’t work out.

Keita was forced to wait until late September to make his debut due to injury, and due to more injury issues and his involvement in the Africa Cup of Nations, the Guinea midfielder had only played six times for his club by April, when Werder suspended him until the end of the season after refusing to travel with the team for a game at Bayer Leverkusen.

“We won’t tolerate Naby’s behaviour,” said football director Clemens Fritz. “He let his team down in a time of difficulty surrounding our recent run of form and squad availability and put his own interests above those of the team.”

Keita denied the accusations that he refused to play, but the episode seemingly caught the attention of his fellow Bundesliga players.

In an end of season survey for the German football magazine Kicker, some 227 players from the Bundesliga were asked for their views on various topics, with Keita being chosen as the worst player with a vote of 25.6 per cent.

Elsewhere in the survey there was better news for another former Liverpool midfielder in Xabi Alonso, with the ex-Spain star being voted as the league’s best manager by 60.4 per cent of the players.

Alonso oversaw Bayer Leverkusen’s first ever Bundesliga title win, doing so unbeaten, while he also picked up the German Cup and got to the final of the Europa League. Leverkusen star Florian Wirtz was voted as the best player with 51.1 per cent.

2 Likes

https://x.com/BBCSport/status/1797931750359961978

Already seeing folks suggest we bring him in as 3rd choice to replace Adrian

5 Likes

How can we take this vote on Keita seriously when the 40% of the same group voted for someone other than Xabi as manager of the year.

3 Likes

Incredible career.

So happy and proud of him that he’s still going strong.

2 Likes

Trying to see if there is any information on Bobby Duncan. He left the Spanish club he was playing for last season and seems to have dropped out of the public eye.

Did find a LinkedIn page claiming to be him that was responding to posts about Hemp Biomass, which could indicate he’s moved away from the game and into that business but could also be a fake account.

Looking into it further it looks like he’s out of football and has had some ventures into other businesses including property. Will be interesting to see if he can get back into the game in future. I never had him as a PL prospect (like Oakley Cannonier - too one dimensional, goals at U18 level don’t move me) but he probably cpuld have had a decent enough career in the lower leagues.

1 Like

Nah.

His time is done.

Divock heading back to Milan, as Forest turned down the option to buy

Not good enough for Milan before, not good enough for Forest now, not good enough for Milan next season.

Will be back to a Wolfsburg kind of level, where he wasn’t great either.

1 Like

In my FM 24 save, after 10 games in season 2 at Atalanta as reigning champs he is the top scorer for the league with 8 goals.

Hoping the big goofball can lead me to European glory on top of back-2-back Seri A titles

1 Like

I wonder if they got him on a free mostly to harvest the loan fees. Tight arse Italian clubs have been doing similar for a while now.

2 Likes

a business doing businessy things?

who knew!

I know - it’s frankly astounding. Before you know it they will be trying to sell players for a ‘profit’ and I wouldn’t put it past them to be charging people to watch them play!

1 Like

Not to mention the awkward fascist sympathies.

1 Like
25 Likes

Hoping Alan Hansen gets well soon.:pray::palms_up_together:. I hope his family are getting all the support from the medical personnel.
He will always be my absolute favourite Liverpool player as a youngster. The best defender and a pioneer in his day.

13 Likes

Get well soon Jockey :frowning:

2 Likes

Really sorry to hear about Alan Hansen. I hope he makes a full recovery and feels much better soon. It’s his personal business and we don’t need to know, but seriously ill is so open ended that it’s hard to know what to think. Heart? Cancer? Other illness?

Either way I am hoping for the best for Jockey. Such an elegant defender, so composed, and had all the time in the world he wanted on the ball, which only the very best footballers can do.

4 Likes