Former players and managers - general discussion

Also, we don’t actually know what terms he was offered by the club. He was given the chance to Barca and took it, only for that to break down. By the time the PSG offer came along, I don’t think he was left with many alternatives. Given PSG’s coach at that time was a longtime admirer of Gini, I think it is fair to say that it wasn’t that obvious his time would end that badly,

That’s devastating. I’m sure those of us old to have lived through will recall the frustration we felt and likely verbalized at his constant unavailability, and then you realize there are way more important things going on.

3 Likes

David Moores has passed away

13 Likes

Yeah, here’s the Liverpool Echo article:

He wasn’t the best club owner for us, but always came across as a calm, patient, likable character. His best action was probably to sanction Rafa’s transfer to us. That decision was rewarded with Nr. 5.

RIP and thoughts to his family.

11 Likes

He was first and foremost a massive Liverpool fan who genuinely loved the club. Worth pointing out that when we started to struggle to compete in the transfer market he put his own money up just so we could buy players. He stayed away from Anfield for a long time after the Hicks and Gillet disaster through a sense of guilt but I think he started going again more recently. He did his best and given how ultimately it’s all turned out there is no need for anyone to hold anything against him. Very sad to hear that he died just a few weeks after his wife. RIP.

18 Likes

A fair few were taken in by Hicks and Gillet and a fair few vultures were around, I think it was very hard for him and Parry so I hold little animosity . It knocked us for a few years but it ultimately led to FSG coming in and setting us right. With some of the owners around we could have been in a far worse state generally and with no FSG to come in and settle it. This lot talked a lot but had no money, some have a lot of money but corruption usually wipes it overnight.

1 Like

We could have used Gini the last two seasons but not overly fussed now. He’s been very good for us though.

He’s had his big payday and will get the same amount of salary at Roma etc. But him not getting game time in PSG speaks more about them rather than about Gini.

Good luck to Gini W wherever he lands. Roma would be a good move. He still has plenty to offer as a player. I don’t hold any animosity at all. Might have signed a new deal here, but chose to let the contract run down as it looked like Barcelona were in for him. That fell through and then he was scrambling a bit, but PSG came in. He didn’t break into the team there and has been spinning his wheels.

I don’t want him back here, not because of any hard feelings but because we’ve moved on. I think a couple of years in a beautiful Italian city will round out his career, and I expect he will do well there.

1 Like

I’m not a huge fan of the idea of PSG getting a loan or sale fee for him. The hydrocarbon doping cheaters will hopefully still be on the hook for most of his wages for the rest of his contract.

3 Likes

It could have been venkys.

1 Like

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Quite…

Agree completely with this. Thiago has really taken his position and We have too many young talents who deserve a chance

1 Like
5 Likes

When talking about the CL final against RM recently, if playing the Jurgen team formation, was asked to choose the best Liverpool team of players I have witnessed in a red shirt in my lifetime…
After some deliberation, here are my nominations for the side I would have loved to have put out against Ancelotti…,
For…
Alisson read Ray Clemence (only just)…
Trent read Trent
Konate read Mark Lawrenson
VVD read VVD
Robbo read Emlyn Hughes
Fabinho read Graeme Souness
Henderson read Steven Gerard
Thiago read Kenny Dalglish
Diaz read Ian Rush
Mane/Firmino read Kevin Keegan
Mo Salah read Suarez…

Manager:
Klopp read Klopp

As Shankly once mentioned, he wants a Liverpool side so good, they would have to send a team from Mars to play us…!

4 Likes

No it is not Fraudiola… but it is an ex-LFC player…?

Marcus Babbel?

4 Likes
5 Likes

Jose Enrique?

Nah, It is deffo Marcus Babbel