Forum team/mods/admins

Lets cool this down a bit lads.

There are a few aspects to this. But an important one is technical one. In all honesty we are still comming to terms with the software.

Believe it or not there have been so few problems within the community that we are still comming to terms with how we deal with reports, and how issues are reported. (We are generally learning as we go). You could count the number of flags we have had on 1 hand.

In this instance, I didnt even know there was a report, upon searching for it I can see it was flagged.

Some of the moderation interface is non intuitive what the functions actually do (I am not 100% sure myself). Lets cool it down in here, let us figure out what to do, what happend (if anything) and we will sort it out :wink:

4 Likes

Canā€™t find the political threads,thank fuck.

4 Likes

Me after reading above few posts:
Google: Meaning of Gall
Google: Meaning of Umbrage

6 Likes

I donā€™t remember the incidents you refer to, but Iā€™ll take your comments on board.

1 Like

I just think it was un-necessary and quite crass fishā€¦ Itā€™s quite an emotive subject as well the wider implications and means gained are/were horrific.

But anyway I accept your point and will move on.

1 Like

To expand on this, with the TIA platform a report would be made. Moderators would then see an alert, and there was a private discussion thread where we could exchange views. Only very rarely, such as for obvious spammers, would a moderator simply decide what to do without putting out comments first.

With this platform, the discussion thread involves the complainant, which to be straightforward is not that useful because most of the problematic Reports come in reciprocal pairs. Further, as soon as any moderator takes any action on it, other moderators no longer see the alerts. That takes us away from what I think was a decent set of norms around moderation, and we need to figure out how to work around that.

3 Likes

Start a modsā€™ WhatsApp group?

I appreciate youā€™re all over the world and in different time zones but at least that would afford you a private area where you can discuss issues without the members here being involved.

1 Like

Should we as a community vote on who should moderate the whatsap group every 4 years?

:wink:

1 Like

Whatever it is, just donā€™t use the electoral college system.

2 Likes

How about first past the post(ing rights)?

2 Likes

@ZinedineBiscan new avatar? :scream: :cry: :thinking: :rofl:

2 Likes

In honour of the election :wink:

Iā€™ll probably change it back soon.

4 Likes

Just a thoughtā€¦
Having read some really good insightful, witty, thought provoking posts on hereā€¦ It is a shame that they may become archived for good without getting the wider recognition they probably deserveā€¦ Sooooooā€¦ As moderators, and if time allowsā€¦ in a similar mode to BBCā€™s Goal of the Monthā€¦
Would it be worth nominating some posts for either post of the weekā€¦ post of the monthā€¦ then ultimately, post of the seasonā€¦!
Like I saidā€¦ Just a thoughtā€¦ Ignore if it is a pathetic suggestionā€¦!

1 Like

We had a Hall of Fame thread on TIA. You should start one here. Accompanied by itā€™s feckless cousin, of course, the Hall of Shame thread.

4 Likes

I actually do enjoy reading the various points of view offered by the membersā€¦ offers food for thought across many topics via many differing perspectivesā€¦
Not sure a member per se would be best placed to manage itā€¦
Maybe if the concept offers potentialā€¦ yourself or other Mods would be the guys best to judgeā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not a mod, to clarify. But the threads I mentioned were for anyone to contribute to. Not quite as organised as your proposal but still good for a laugh.

2 Likes

Just thought i got banned from posting when in fact thereā€™s something about posting more than 4 posts in a row on a thread,iā€™d not noticed as the posts are not on the same day,is it and old rule we had before.

2 Likes

Hmm, yet another thing I am not sure we knew it would do - vaguely like cargo cult forum administration.

Which thread?

1 Like

I learned that yesterday in the joke thread. :smiley:

3 Likes

Spursy thread.

1 Like