General IT Thread

I just switched providers. made the jump from coax to fiber. both are still operating as two independent systems in my home, without issue.

1 Like

Yes, for all uses. Except unsplash, where you have these two limitations:

• Photos cannot be sold without significant modification.
  • Compiling photos from Unsplash to replicate a similar or competing service.

Depending on what you’re after when you use a VPN, NordVPN or Express might not be the best choices.

My main thing is self protection from fraud and sharing of our personal data. No interest in streaming anything particularly etc.

Then have a look at Mullvad, they are going out of their way to not know anything about you. No need to provide an email and you can pay by cash if you want to. :yum:

Disclaimer: I’ve been using it for years, and ended up working for them.

1 Like

Throwing this one out there, you’re welcome. Now we’re not hiding at home anymore, uninstall MS Teams. Horrific bloatware that’s grinding so many laptops and desktops down at the moment. Something changed with it this week, probably removed it from 30 staff laptops. They all think I’m a genius as magically their machines are good as new. A re-install is better than it was but if you can ditch it, do.

1 Like

Always assumed you’d retired in the 50s?

Cynical middle aged git then :rofl:

Friend of mine showed me this. Mind blowing, not so much for what it is now, but for what it means for the future…

https://chat-gpt.org/

You should also sign up for the new Bing.

I use this in my regular work flow now. Especially writing emails, work social media and also to give me the a template for reports. I was actually in the process of creating a fake poster and seeing if anyone would notice :wink:

Some of the most helpful commands I have found are:

Cut and past text, and add the prompt

• “Do you understand ?”
  • You are a consultant
  • Explain it to me like I am 10 years old
  • Play devils advocate and give me an alternative view on
  • Give me a structure for a powerpoint presentation on XXX.
  • Rewrite my text so that its positive, convincing, informative
  • Rewrite text to be approximately 1000 words
  • Write me an advert for a XXXX to sell on XXXX

I would also recommend using some of the add-ons. Google sheets has a very cool integration (GPT for sheets). This way you can get GPT to convert your text into a code. Also you can use it to pull various information. Lets say you have in row 1 a list of chemicals. in row 2 you can write, what was the 2020 price of Cell A1 (and just drag it down).

I have also been using Nightcafe. I am more autistic and artistic, but even I can create some fantastic things (I got a 3mx3M banner made that I designed in 2 hours using Night cafe).

1 Like

Probably more intelligible than many on here let’s be honest…

Myself included…

1 Like

Can you integrate this function into this website… I can think of at least one poster who could really benefit from it?

The latest John Oliver Last week tonight episode on it and in general AI is a nice watch.

I happen to know many 10 year olds who don’t need explaining down to. Jnr never did. As my anecdotes are always 100% correct, not sure on this one……

It’s not for talking down to, it’s to help simplify concepts. This is the output of me asking it to explain string theory to a 12 year old.

Sure! String theory is a scientific idea that suggests that everything in the universe, from the tiniest particles to the largest galaxies, is made up of tiny, vibrating strings.

According to this theory, these strings are incredibly small - much smaller than the tiniest particles we know of, like electrons or quarks. In fact, they’re so small that they’re impossible to observe directly. However, scientists have been able to make predictions about the properties of these strings based on mathematical models.

One of the key ideas in string theory is that the way these strings vibrate determines the properties of the particles they create. For example, the vibration pattern of a string might create an electron, while a different vibration pattern might create a photon.

But that’s not all - string theory also suggests that there might be many more dimensions to our universe than the three we’re used to experiencing. These extra dimensions might be curled up into tiny spaces that we can’t see or interact with directly, but they could still affect the behavior of particles and the forces that govern them.

Of course, string theory is still just a theory, and there’s a lot we don’t know about how it might work or whether it’s even correct. But it’s a fascinating idea that has inspired a lot of research and speculation in the scientific community!

3 Likes

Wife had string theory nailed 8yrs ago

I think you missed the purpose of my post.

I spent my first night in France recently changing all my banking passwords after I convinced myself I had lost my external drive in airport security. It included an excel file with them all in although the file is password protected. I had read that even with the password, excel isn’t 100% secure.

Is there a more secure way? I have office365 so presumably the most secure version of excel. Should I be using a password manager?

Anyway I got home yesterday only to find the drive still plugged into my PC…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Yeah: memorise them.

1 Like