General world politics chat

That’s where having decisions by Juries tend to be problematic. It’s easier to influence juries than it is to influence a Judge. You can’t expect me to believe that a bunch of people with little to no knowledge in law give better judgements than a qualified judge. Doesn’t mean judges can’t be corrupt ofcourse.

India learnt that lesson with Nanavati case ages ago. The standard bearer of democracy hasn’t and that’s idiotic in my book.

There was this recent case of a Taiwanese male influencer who was abused by his newly wed wife…whose name is also Amber (seems like the name is a no-no to marry) and many times he was verbally and even physically abused and one of the questions he was asked during his divorce proceedings was that he was much bigger physically, he could have just retaliate, why didn’t he and he said through his lawyer is that he knew that yes he could but he also knew that as long he retaliate once and lay his hands on her, the sympathies will be with her and that she will have a case against him. This is so sad because as much as female violence against males are not as prevalent as vice-versa (or at least not as reported), for a male who is abused to be worried about retaliating because of the ‘oh girls are always the victim’ mentality in society is also very sad…

The overwhelming majority of victims of domestic violence are women, and it takes place on a huge scale all around the world. Women are beaten, imprisoned and raped all the time, everywhere. In many societies it is treated as the norm.
Of course, there are cases where men suffer too, but it is nowhere near as prevalent and it’s dangerous to draw an equivalence.

7 Likes

Definitely, there is an overwhelming imbalance in terms of domestic violence against females vs violence against males and females need to be protected. However, not drawing an equivalence should not mean that each case cannot be judged on its own merit and that dangers of bias that can easily unfairly cloud a judgement and its unfortunate that real victims, whether males or females have to fear because of bias in society.

Weren’t you concerned about some of his statements made in that closing argument?

I’m assuming my sarcasm alarm isn’t quite awake this morning.

The problem is a sustained campaign to influence the jury and that is what i find disconcerting.

Americans are seemingly okay with a panel of judges to rule on abortions etc but dont want to rely on trained judges with knowledge of law to rule on these issues ?

Think this is a sign that the US is adopting a new posture in the region. I wonder what it means for the region more widely and obviously what it means for the main player, i.e. China.

That was Heard’s other attorney, Elaine Bredehoft

I struggle to understand how a celebrity case qualifies as world politics. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Because of this observation but you’re right

2 Likes

Time for a celebrity fluff thread?

Kim Kardashian Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Yeah, still the wrong thread. But since we’re here - I definitely agree this trial should not in any way be used in any attempts to somehow minimise the prevalence of domestic abuse or sexual violence against women. That’s ridiculous imo.
Personally I’m much more interested in the (alleged) personality disorder angle (in this case bipolar/hystrionic) and how that can affect relationships. It’s an underdiscussed (if there is such a word) issue imho.

Edit: It’s histrionic, not hystrionic

3 Likes

How fucked is NK when there even cant be a coup organized internally.

While i agree.

This case (with the way some chauvinists have come onboard) can politically influence and degrade a very valid social movement.

But yes , this isnt the right thread for this topic.

1 Like

I’m not sure I agree because to fully understand why this case had such a presence in our newsfeeds you have to understand the way these partisan political actors were amplifying it and doing so with a very particular perspective.

Much like the Hulk Hogan sex tape case (a trial balloon funded by Peter Theil, the multi billionaire free speech advocate who loves quashing speech), you need to understand that it is a story occurring on multiple levels some of which directly impact our politics.

2 Likes

The same could be said for Russia, many ex-USSR states and indeed many (most?) developing countries across Asia, Africa and South America…

The problem is that NK is backed by China and Russia to an extent - it is a vehicle for a proxy war with the west.

Hey. Those people need to earn their salaries as well.

Fatigue setting in ?