General world politics chat

No, he stepped down as Prime Minister citing some health problems. Although i had thought same as you.

Iā€™m shocked, and Iā€™m not Japanese.

2 Likes

i guess this is a bit political, right?

RIP to Shinzo Abe. This is shocking coming from Japan. Condolences to the Japanese people whom I think many still respect what the former PM has done in recent times.

5 Likes

This is as clear an example as can be that everyone should carry a gun. If only Shinzo Abe had a gun, he could have defended himself. It only take one good guy with a gun to stop things like this from happening.

I wholeheartedly believe that there is no need for guns in society and that they should be banned, period, but on a broader level, laws are not the solution. It comes down to education and the type of society we want to live in. Why/how does someone come to the conclusion that the answer to anything is violence - especially within ā€œ1st worldā€ countries?

it would not solve anything though. All unhinged maniacs will have guns and all the people unwilling to use them will have them. Person with compassion shows gunā€¦ unhinged maniac shoots person with compassion who pulled gun as deterrent.

I canā€™t tell if this is sarcasm or not, but wasnā€™t he shot in the back?

I suppose he could be clairvoyant as well and spin around and shoot his assailant firstā€¦ Thatā€™s assuming of course he doesnā€™t just dodge.

3 Likes

bullet time. havenā€™t you seen the matrix?

I thought the second paragraph would have made that clear. Guns and the use of guns in a civilised society are never the answer.

3 Likes

Irony on the internet never causes misunderstandings :wink:

2 Likes

in this case i wonā€™t shoot the messenger.

Oh I think itā€™s even worse, didnā€™t he have a security detail with him?

The third sentence in my (now) ill constructed first paragraph was aimed at that notion - sarcasm on the internetā€¦

The idea that having a gun can protect you is in my opinion wrong - you cannot be on guard 24/7/365.
The idea that a good guy with a gun (the security detail) can stop this from happening is, in my opinion, is also wrong.

Yes, guns are the problem but as a society we also have other ways to reduce violence and we should do more to explore those - as well as the obvious thing of getting rid of guns.

1 Like

Right I didnā€™t get that bit although I did get the rest might be sarcasm, but genuine gun nuts do speak like that soā€¦

I do completely agree, but even Reagan was just a little poor aim away from assassination, with the Secret Service protecting him, so I really donā€™t understand the idea that guns can stop guns.

Yes, and thereā€™s a lot that can be done, but society chooses to ignore evidence-based prescriptions in favour of their personal bias.

2 Likes

I am comparing Brit Colonialism to that of French and Belgiumā€¦ No where did I get German colonialism into the equation.

Overall I think Brit Colonialism of India was the lesser of the evils when compared to French / Belgian colonialism of Africa.

I really donā€™t know about German and their Colonialism.

Not sure if thereā€™s a league table of historical criminality.

The Germans were late arrivals at the carve up, but they did their best to catch up with their atrocities in Namibia.

2 Likes

They were late to the game, in part because of the lack of unification of a German state, but Bismark got them involved in the 1880s, almost entirely in Africa. Despite the late start they still with the third biggest colonial empire behind the UK and France, but it was short lived and they lost pretty much all of it as a result of the WWI losses.

2 Likes

I mean you canā€™t compare German Colonialism to the shit that the Belgium king pulled in Congo.