General world politics chat

Ensuring that the outsourcing industries spread their bases to other countries.

1 Like

Amnesty International are neutral and haven’t refrained at all from criticizing and reporting Russia for potential war crimes. If Ukraine set up military bases right among their own civilian population, it’s worthy of a report as well without having to suspect them to be pro-Russian.

Here is the full article on their website:

2 Likes

This is what the Palestinians do in their fight against Israel. A necessary evil perhaps , but criticizing amnesty is one of many mis steps by Zelenskyy in losing the narrative.

1 Like

It’s as simple as firing a missile from a hospital etc and then the automatic system fires back at the source of the incoming missile.

The Palestinians do it even when they know a response is incoming. Automated systems and software don’t discriminate whether it’s combatants or civilians.

Very, very likely. The Taliban is a very complicated coalition.

The presence of the Haqqani faction makes it so. They are so well entrenched in Pakistan and now the Taliban.

I suspect this will make India measure it’s dealings with the Afghan govt which is a shame because India has invested quite a bit in Afghan infrastructure etc and possibly loses out the most after the US pull out.

Historically, China is a great world power. It has the size and resources to be a major player. Only by chance have we grown up in an age when it was not in that position. The issue is less to do with its wealth and influence than its government, which is a repressive dictatorship.
Rather than trying to prevent its economic growth, which would have been futile, the West should have shown far stronger support to the democratic movements in the country. A major opportunity was missed in 1989 when the CCP were not nearly as powerful as they are now.

I would rather say that an opportunity was missed when US chose to ally with China in cold war rather than reaching out to India (which was perceived as an ally of the soviet union then)

2 Likes

The story being told is he became pretty brazen about coming out of hiding and we were able to spot him and identify a fairly reliable pattern of activity. I suppose it is possible the Taliban encouraged him to come back to Kabul, housed him, put it in his ear that there was no risk anymore and did it all in collaboration with the CIA. But why? Our SoS has explicitly called out the Taliban for violating the Doha agreement, and while you can imagine if they were collaborating with us on this we’d still have to put on an act, but I doubt that act would have so directly put pressure on them like those comments.

As @Arminius says, it’s not exactly a unified organization, so could this be a way to apply enough force for a change in leadership, and one that we would prefer (hence going along with the plan)?

I said elements within the Taliban. As has been mentioned before , the Taliban is a very loose coalition with Haqqanis being one major faction (which historically has been linked with Al-Qaeda and other terrorist organisations). There are other factions within Taliban who would see it fit to undermine Haqqani influence there.

It is possible to miss more than one opportunity :wink:

The very likely scenario is that one or more groups inside the Taliban have been involved in violating the Doha agreement, and one of them had close ties to Zawahiri. Another element gets the information to the US, and instead of one of those awkward internal struggles, the US drone acts as an enforcer, problem solved. The US would not even to know the motivation for the information, it probably just made some CIA guy’s career.

1 Like

The Man City-Haaland thread is that way —>

1 Like

There is also the fact that Pak has has " Im the Dim" being replaced. The new faction will probably seek to ingratiate themselves into the US / Saudi Nexus more… the shariffs / isi / Haqqani / al Qaeda network is well known and could well have been the shariff family trying to play both sides (as pakistan have been known to do) in the global arena

If you’ve followed south asian politics to the extent I have , there are quite a lot of things which are apparent which only become reported later ino mainstream media

Wow.

They sold out…

Was it a surprise ?

I guess I’m just not enough of a @cynicaloldgit yet…

really surprised at how Turkey is becoming this prominent in eastern european politics.

a simple answer… shipping routes