General world politics chat

I suspect that number is going to shift dramatically downward. With three consulates now shut down, the number of staff handling visas in India has gone from 27 to 5.

Not a shock that there are so many Punjabis. Second largest contingent is normally Gujarati.

Majority of the Canadian immigrants especially students wouldn’t make it in India in terms of Jobs etc as well.

Both in general communities which do not have a focus on education etc.

The educated aspirants generally aim for a master’s degree from a reputed university and not these diploma mills.

Not too many South Indians opt for Canada , they go for US as their first preferred choice. South Indians in general give US their standard IT workers which are needed.

Maybe with Trudeau at the helm , I do think he’s losing at the end of his term and the status quo will be ensured later.

Also if I’m not wrong , the visa handling has been given to a third party and it shouldn’t effect people too much.

A reasonable number are using the certificate programs to try to improve their chances of admission to that tier of Master’s program.

I would say the 3rd largest cohort is from Kerala, but nowhere near the same size.

1 Like

There are 3 year degree courses in India and the requirement for a university especially in the STEM is 4 years for a degree. This is true , I’ve seen some cases like this.

I doubt it. His government is responsible for increasing the pace of acceptance, the likely next government is not going to be nearly as receptive to immigration in general. The dispute with India will make that even less likely. I suspect those diplomatic positions will be closed, a department that is looking for 7% reductions just got an easy answer.

As for the third-party processing, that was already wildly contentious to the point of being seen as unacceptable.

1 Like

I do think Canada should increase the requirements for immigration though

Main reason is to ensure enough immigrants for the jobs in the skilled sector and to generate revenue etc The semi-skilled sectors ideally should not be catered by immigrants whichever be the country of Origin.

The other reason is as you’ve mentioned the votebanks which can paralyse the country into inaction.

You have to consider the wishes of the country where the students are coming from. They do not want a situation where their educated class is incentivized to go somewhere else for their education and then stay there. The fact India (and China) want those students to come back home is why there are artificially lower limits on residency based on education and skilled jobs for people from these countries. In the US the current wait time for a generic skilled worker green card for an Indian is over 120 years. This is driven as much by the Indian government as it is by the US. The diplomatic considerations for inviting in non-credentialed immigrants from the same country are largely non-existent so when you have a country like Canada who see the benefit for them to immigration, it makes sense why this becomes a focus

There is a difference between India and China in that regard. India expects brain drain to happen in STEM fields and generates enough new workforce to make up for it. If people choose to go back to India , that’s their wish. There’s no compulsion from the govt.

The enforced limits on green cards per nationalities is more of US’s attempt to not have a shift in voter base etc and to maintain the current demographic status quo

China on the other hand actively expects people to go back to China. They make people sign binding documents to that.

You are right that the other immigrants are of little concern to India and hence Canada and previously UK were better prospects

And as far as Canada prospective students go , lets just say that I’ve interacted with that demographic for a period of 2 years and I could count with one hand the number who wanted to go for a Masters even if they had the required academic credentials.

I was in Ahmedabad (Gujarat) during that time.

You may hear different, but this is not the perspective of those who work at USCIS.

EDIT: Although it is possible this is a just a general understanding of the diplomacy over students and brain drain and not the result of direct engagement with India per se

1 Like

When does credible allegations equate to Evidence ?

If these are allegations , then whether they are credible or not needs to be established by the ICC.

The minister’s fumbling here. How difficult is it to say that we’ve shared evidence with the Indian Govt?

Either the Canadian govt has concrete evidence or it has allegations from the Khalistanis. Allegations which may well be true but which are impossible to prove.

If a country makes accusations against another country, the second country might feel that they need to downgrade the relationship etc.

India’s having bigger problems with respect to brain drain when a large number of professionals choose to follow the relatively easier and higher paying career in IT and Technology as opposed to other fields including Science , Medicine , Engineering fields.

India won’t care about IT employees migrating to the US (which India does replace by the millions each year). A research scientist in Other STEM fields for example migrating or choosing another job in a different field even in India , yes. That would be a brain drain. But not for 99% of Indian IT based migrants to US.

1 Like

I’m quite curious of what people expect a country to do for them or in a Kennedy’ian way, they do for the country. Should it be expected to protect you or for you to protect it, educate you or for you to educate it and so on?? My guess would be that the balance between the two extremes is quite profound and far reaching in terms of policy.

1 Like

Not sure why you would involve the ICC in this matter, and it certainly would not be their business to determine whether or not an allegation is credible or not. Somewhat moot anyway, as apparently in discussions behind closer doors India is not really bothering to deny their role, which is commensurate with their public position of ‘we didn’t do it…but he deserved it’.

To be honest, it sounds like downgrading the relationship is of mutual benefit. I get 4-5 scam telephone calls a day from India at this point, throwing some transaction costs up in the way of doing anything with India wouldn’t be a terrible thing.

I have no problem with a downgrading of the relationship, the housing market in Vancouver is fucking atrocious at the moment. people are having to rent spare bedrooms at $900-1100/month with shared utilities. the rate of inflation is killing us here and with the Bank of Canada capitalizing on it by raising the prime lending rate to “slow inflation” I’m going to take a fucking hammering on my next mortgage renewal.

I enjoyed my trip to Vancouver. I was really surprised at how many immigrants there were though.

the whole country is immigrants…just depends on which era of the expansion you’re looking at.

my heritage goes back 120yrs in this country on my dad’s side and 100yrs on my mom’s. just a fart in the wind of this earth.

5 Likes

There are valid BPO businesses as well that happen from India which basically are a means to reduce costs.

The scam phone calls is something that should be addressed.

It doesn’t matter for India whether the relationship is downgraded. The financial implications for Canada might be huge though. I agree that for Canada’s sake, they should be better off tightening their immigration requirements and having better policies. Not just for India , goes for any region.

Let’s just say Canada gets in a agreement to take in x number of Palestinians , you are inheriting their problems as well, not to mention the chance that a percentage of them are radicalized.