General world politics chat

Again , how is immigration linked to the housing crisis in Vancouver?

when you’re allowing 500,000 immigrants a year into the country but only building 286,000 homes
there’s a shortfall of housing. multiply x20 years.

most immigrants who move to Canada settle in Vancouver due to the mild climate. a disproportionate amount.

Got it. Flawed immigration policy coupled with government ineptitude , not enough action on the ground going back to decades.

Which is more to blame though?

And how many of the 500k immigrants constitute students ? Also is it a central government problem or does it become a mandate of the state government ?

Canada’s probably had to rely on immigration to get their workforce to be younger. It’s clear that there are some major cons to it and Vancouver is one of those areas worst affected by immigration.

I don’t think immigration per se is the problem, any country with an ageing population would require immigration for future proofing. the Immigration policy of having low entry barriers however is.

But the bigger problem is to do with Govt inaction of actually building housing.

1 Like

Countries have to be pragmatic w.r.t Immigration. Even tilt slightly to the right if need be.

Immigration is something which countries like Canada need but the Canadian policy of admitting economic immigrants as asylum seekers needs to be addressed. That’s extremely naive.

This wouldn’t be possible without someone sympathizing with khalistanis in on the Canadian side for instance

I don’t mean that Canada needs to go Cruella on this but you can’t go full left on immigration.

I think you know what I meant. I go to Vancouver a city in Canada and probably 50% of people are from another country. Not that it’s a problem, I was just surprised.

1 Like

Probably 99% are non Squamish, Musqueam or Tsleil-Waututh.

Foreigners out!

2 Likes

Those damn Musqueam are not even from Vancouver, they are from the Island!

500,000 a year immigrating here, the cities can barely keep up with the expansion of basic infrastructure like water and electrical it’s changing to fast. Land has to be appropriated from agricultural use which is a terrible thing to do in a city like this, taking away the ability of local farmers to grow food means more of it has to be imported from out of the country. Makes it more expensive to eat. Because there’s a shortage of available building lots, developers are bulldozing perfectly good 1-family homes which sit on large lots, and building 7-8 bedroom home which have 2-3 different living quarters inside. They use the maximum allowable living space by building code, and create a huge parking problem on the street as there are 4-5 cars for each household and the driveway only fits two vehicles.

City of Surrey did a massive development called “Clayton Heights” and it’s a testament to high-density multi-family homes and the problems which ensue.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/X5gPEcZCmJqwZGui6

I don’t disagree with you here.

wrong. Marpole, south Vancouver along the Fraser. If you look at where the different first nations have their lands settled, they have a particular advantage when it comes to water access and their ceremonial fisheries rights

1 Like

It was tongue in cheek - some anthropologists think the Musqueam may have moved south under pressure from the Lekwiltok (Kwak’wala) and similar peoples somewhere around a thousand years ago, and may have originally come from north of the Snuneymuxw.

can’t see your tongue in cheek over a webpage :wink:

In the days before colonialism, the rivers here flowed with salmon 365 days a year. when companies like CanFisCo moved in and started seining the mouths of the rivers en masse without regulation, they destroyed the PNW fisheries permanently. These stocks are consistently falling now, this year the chum are returning at 20-25% of their usual return. there are claims that the last few big runs were harvested for roe (caviar) for the Asian markets and the carcasses thrown back into the river. I’ve seen smaller instances but have also seen footage of thousands of fish being found dumped. no meat taken, just the roe. disgusting.

it’s now illegal to take a sturgeon of any size from any waters here, they’re endangered.

1 Like

example

https://maps.app.goo.gl/h3U4QprZaikxhHK86

during the summer, you’ll see the band out in their quads netting early runs. right now they’ll be hitting that river in force and dragging totes of fish out into their processing building to be loaded onto trucks for sale. their ceremonial rights to trade.

Yep, I get it. I could see some of the problems being caused but I didn’t know to that extent. It’s still a lovely city but you can see some areas starting to look neglected. Canada is going to need to do something quick or it’ll go to hell.

it already has. we barely go into the city anymore, Mrs used to live in Yaletown district and now she doesn’t feel comfortable walking there at night.

How are things @1972

This is the latest I found and it sounds depressing

A very good piece here on how the events in the Middle East have roiled French politics , brought about an extremely tense and worrying situation domestically , and what it might portend for the future.

‘Jewish students – 90% of whom say they have experienced antisemitism during their studies – are more frightened of the far left than the far right’

’ If the French were to find themselves facing a 2027 ballot choice between Marine Le Pen and Jean-Luc MĂ©lenchon, Le Pen would win.’

Hey Ifi. Thanks for asking. Things have calmed down a lot. I live about 6 hours from the capital, so life for us is normal at the moment. Fuel and food back to normal prices. There are still protests going on (in the capital) so it could all blow up again, or the government elect could just take over without a hitch.

That’s life in a Latin American country.

2 Likes

Melenchon is a mad man!

Unfortunately I think French politics is in such a mess that Marine Le Pen will win the next presidential against anyone. Even the west is turning in that direction from what I can see.

3 Likes

I actually voted for him in 2012 (when I was still allowed to !) , but to see the transformation in him these past ten years really is quite something. Like the piece says , he’s really just an angry and bitter old man now.

The global shift to right wing populism has been marked.

Yes I was going to add about the last 10 years his utterings went really scatty.

1 Like