General world politics chat

Yes, the left just couldn’t/didn’t adapt to the class changes in society, got left behind and ended up with internal squabbles. Not to mention some really awful Presidents like Hollande, that one was more interested in chasing women than doing anything decent for the country and left Valls to fight with Macron.

The whole thing should have opened a way to the center however they never and didn’t have any credibility and still don’t.

3 Likes

The left really needs reinvigorating globally. Knee jerk support of autocrats in the name of antiamericanism is the wrong course.
There needs to be a return to focussing on the needs of the disadvantaged and exploited in society the numbers of which are rising dramatically. Culture wars and endless discussions on identity are distracting from massive inequality and deteriorating rights in housing and employment around the world.
Infighting and scapegoating are doing the right’s work for it.
There is a desperate need for clear and decisive leadership.

5 Likes

One more problem with left is the “holier than thou” attitudes and the so called high ground / pedestal they place themselves in.

The preaching attitude itself pisses a lot of PPL off of voting for them.

Left wing economic reforms are mostly impractical and require a fair bit of perspective and balancing to work as well.

2 Likes

Also. This. There are more important battles to be fought than fighting identity rights etc… Which while good to have aren’t absolutely essential

4 Likes

Centrism has to be a feasible way forward.

Balance of policies both from the left and right. And none of the idiocies which come from extremists of both wings.

2 Likes

Don’t despair mate , it’s not irreversible. Trump and Bolsonaro were both defeated after a single term , and more recently the fascists in both Spain and Poland have had their wings clipped. I’d like to say Orban will be next but his grip on that country only seems to be tightening. I’d also expect another centrist to be challenging here in France next time round to avoid the nightmare scenario of Le Pen v Melenchon.

As for India , is Modi nailed on for another term ?

1 Like

Yes.

I’d like to think it’s a cycle though.

India , despite what Modi govt says and the idiotic right wing nutcases claim , has never gone full right. It’s always center - left to center or slightly center-right.

The best Indian governments for me have come when there’s a coalition of parties. That allows consensus to be built and balancing of extreme viewpoints.

I do hope that’s the case again. Even if modi is nailed on , a weaker performance by BJP will leave him to get allies from other parties and to take consensus of other parties on important decisions rather than it being a one party show

2 Likes

Why wouldn’t marcon run for another term ?

He seems to be far better compared to the alternatives

I’m not sure where polievere stands for Canada. I assume it’s center-right.

One that might be needed for Canada after Trudeau’s disaster.

@Arminius?

There will always be that element of populism to right wing parties now as it’s the one main thing they’ve learnt from the left on how to win elections.

You’re only allowed two terms in France.

2 Likes

Have always wondered this and also asked this in the past in the USA thread, everywhere is crying out for a balanced political landscape. There are good in both left and right. I don’t even think it’s about being centrist. It’s about being practical for the good of your people. It’s great to be idealistic, but that needs to be balanced with practical actions that can help in both short and long term benefits to it’s people. There will never be one please all politics but sometimes the better solution is just right in front of the politicians that you know that they are just ignoring it for their own gains

1 Like

Thats basically centrism @gasband.

Parties can go slightly left or right depending on their idealogy etc but they won’t go full fledged into those wings.

It’s become such that a Republican cannot have sensible views on gun control, abortion rights etc because his vote base won’t allow him to work on those.

Similar with a democrat having contrary opinions on some other things.

There is a lack of consensus in today’s democracy and that’s leading to problems.

That should only be spouted if you can see the same holier than thou attitude of them all, if only thrown at the left then it shouldn’t stick though it does.
If it’s just because moral arguments are easily dismissed then it is outrageous. The right often use religion however their holier than thou economic ideas are by far the most damaging and kept in an ivory tower.
The idea that the left have this holier than thou attitude is just playing the right wing game. Yes politics is a game and it’s only a public that doesn’t fall for it that can solve the shit the world is falling into.

5 Likes

He was the best option out of a bunch of fuckwits for his 1st term where he should have learnt a lot.
He just didn’t learn anything and has opened the door for Le Pen with his blindness and total submission to the Rothschild way.
France has to move on from the old colonial days looking for the 4 powers consensus and arse licking!

I mean for both left and right. It’s a problem that both the wings have.

1 Like

I liked the V P Singh government, though it was doomed to fail. The Vajpayee government, not the 13 day one, was also good in my opinion.

1 Like

V.P Singh govt was pretty much doomed to fail. The Vajpayee led NDA , the Congress led PV Narasimha Rao govt and the UPA 1/2 were all largely successful govts.

Infact I would say that the Congress led PV Narasimha Rao govt was the main catalyst for the change in India.

Economically, yes. That’s the time privatisation started to gather pace.

1 Like