General world politics chat

Will only cause trouble they can come in behind Catalonia, Quebec, Kurdistan and the P word.

I think I have read that is its widespread corruption that has brought the ANC down, and despite the country looking more ideologically fair, its much worse in real terms. SA has not been ran well at all?

Corruption is probably endemic in SA politics.

Cape areas are probably some of the better areas in SA , both economically and in terms of security etc. Hence , the growing calls for Cape areas to get independence.

Fair to say that SA as it’s standing now with their policies is looking more likely to be the next Zimbabwe than it is to be a leading African country.

It is one of the bigger countries economically in Africa but that’s not a reflection on performance.

1 Like

Its worse since Zuma, I have read this is the the cause of the collapse - siphoning of public money. Is at risk of Zimbabwe type fall. I have met a few white SA who have recently decamped to UK and they claim its gone and really not safe, as well. Funny isnt it everywhere it seems, the exact thing a repressed group gains relief from, they then go on to do the very same thing they complained of.

It’s a huge question in terms of scope across the whole portfolio, electronic warfare is it, but across a large range of functions. Better AESA radar that is harder to jam, better radar-signal masking, missiles with better and more independent guidance such as AESA, better stealth coating - it is a long list that varies by aircraft. But across the board, the Russians are using substantially the same technology they had in the mid-90s, Soviet plus inertia, with some refinements. The Chinese are actively trying to catch up with American technology.

Here is a decent article (albeit appalling spelling, probably a scraper production) about the Chinese knockoff of the Su-35.

https://militarywatchmagazine.com/article/su-35-with-chinese-characteristics-five-upgrades-to-keep-the-pla-s-russian-built-fighters-from-falling-behind.

Also worth looking at what Western observers think of the J-20 - not at the level of the US, but streets ahead of anything the Russians have.

1 Like

Hmm very interesting. I tend to have my doubts that stealing blueprints for 20yrs ago, and upgrading them sort of might not cut it. And these are not German or Japan electronics. Do you think China are a threat? In a conventional warfare sense, I just dont, and think its a huge amount of sabre rattling. Save for hypersonic which are very dangerous. It surprises me because the first whiff the world got of this was the US Aurora, yet it now seems, unless the US are bing very cute, the East is ahead with this.

Interesting you raise Russian tech. I assume you noticed Putin has hardly deployed any of his best gear in Ukraine, notably the Armata tanks and PAK 4Gen fighter. I mean T72s were even deployed at Bucha - so Vlad must be holding these back.

Did you see the TR3B over Israel on the night of the Iranian missile onslaught?

Chinese electronics are pretty damned sophisticated. I actually think (and it is not my original thought) that Chinese kit is on average now better than Russian, and in many instances closing the gap on the US. It is the organizations that I think are China’s real limitation, tactical doctrine and the like.

By most accounts, the Armata is a disaster. The reason it hasn’t been deployed is that it is way behind schedule for full-scale production, far too expensive, and has significant teething problems. There are probably no more than 50 in existence. It remains unclear if any were field-tested in Ukraine, but if they were, it did not go well - though not in terms of losses.

We are not supposed to see the TR3B…

Nice to see supreme leader modi get a good reality check.

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2024-06-04/modi-learns-the-limits-of-hype-in-india-s-election

1 Like

Haven’t checked the detailed results yet, but it seems that the strong showing by SP did most of the damage. AAP was poor.

BJP didn’t get the majority.

This leaves them having to get the consensus from their coalition partners to get decisions done. No more unilateral decisions.

Coalition partners will expect their pound of flesh for this and the Gujarati brothers will be cut down to size.

Not to mention, RSS will be getting their licks in as well. They aren’t that happy with Modi/Shah.

What is their concern? From the outside looking in, Modi appears to be a sock puppet for RSS and similar elements, so the idea that RSS is disgruntled is odd.

Modi and Shah are outsider being Gujaratis. RSS , being based out of Nagpur , has it’s own candidates , namely Nitin Gadkari.

Modi is pretty much an outsider to traditional RSS politics. As incredible as it may be to outsiders , RSS is not as tilted to the right wing as Modi’s crew. There are plenty of decisions of Modi that RSS has been against and they always look to cut him down to size.

This election result , while Modi forms the government , is pretty much a rejection by a large section of people. Temple politics and hype can only take you so far. Pleased to say that most Indian voters have voted rightly.

Now Modi’s going to have to rule by consensus as opposed to being the strongman and rushing forward his half baked solutions.

2 Likes

And the coalition partners include someone who’s being backstabbed by Modi before and another who’s got a history of flip flopping.

Guess who’ll have Modi’s balls in a vice now. Time the arrogant fuckwit learns that ruling by consensus , while harder , is probably the better way to go about ruling a country. Rather than spending huge amounts of money on advertisements etc.

2 Likes

Nitish Kumar???

that’s the flip-flopper. The other major coalition partner is Chandrababu Naidu who’s been betrayed by Modi/BJP before.

1 Like

Would you recommend some sites for objective reviews/analysis. I used to follow NDTV, but the video pop-ups are annoying.

Dekoder.

Online YouTube.

This?

1 Like

He’s the ex NDTV guy.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight.