Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

I’m a simple man. With Thiago it doesn’t click (so far) and I’m not seeing it without 2 senior CBs and Henderson.

Drop him at the weekend.

Try with Gini, Milner, Keita. That’s the closest thing to what our midfield has done in the last few years.

1 Like

He plays like a crab most of the time, even when the clearer way is forward. Driving me up the wall to be completely honest.

7 Likes

Wijnaldum is suffering from what we call the Dutch disease over here, playing the ball sideways or backwards most of the time. He has his quality’s but speeding up play going forwards is not one of them.

5 Likes

And to think he was an attacking player before he came here.

2 Likes

Worst thing about Gini is his 1st touch and how many touches he takes to do something with the ball

Which are? :astonished:

It really isn’t it’s how slow he is. The worst moment for me in the game against Chelsea was him being passed the ball dribbled up the pitch a bit. He had 3 clear options but the obvious was Salah out to the right (completely unmarked and waving like a demented lunatic). Gini looks his way but astonishingly ignores him takes a touch to the right, looks up at Salah again (what the fuck). Takes another touch toward Salah (Fuck you) Looks toward Salah. Takes another touch toward Salah (Fucking cunt) looks toward Salah. All this time Chelsea are closing off the passing lanes other than that to Salah whom they put 3 defenders within 1 meter. Chelsea are in position so 1 of them goes to press Gini. Gini passes to Salah (you complete arse wipe of a wanking cunt). immediately the 3 defenders out muscle Salah and win the ball back.
For me that’s criminal and any self respecting coach would have Gini off the pitch in no time. It’s fucking useless!

3 Likes

He is durable, can hold on to the ball and not a bad header.

1 Like

Em! Durable yes, hasn’t held the ball well at all recently but was one of his strong points and has only ever headed well when unchallenged when challenged he is useless.

He can be very good at picking up second balls and also if he’s fast enough ‘nipping’ infront of an opposition player trying to dribble.

I just find that far too little at this level.

He is fantastic at covering for our fullbacks, for covering space and allowing others to play… The problem is when he’s not doing that, he offers little else. He is burnt out, he is 2 yards behind play at all times, back to the ghost role of games just passing him by. Add to that Thiago who clearly isn’t suited to playing the shuttle no.8 our midfield is none existant.

It’s not his fault, he needs a rest.

1 Like

That is a complete lie, he was useless against Chelsea, just look how he repeated left TAA in the lurch. What is he thinking does he expect Salah to do a decent job that far back?

If not more and it looks deliberate. Seems to me his mind is on Barca and needs to be dropped.

2 Likes

Come on Flobs read the post, I said one of his strengths… was… past tense, he is no longer doing it.

Him and Henderson as the shuttling no.8s were a huge part of why our fullbacks were so good last season and the one before.

1 Like

No you didn’t, read your own post! :crazy_face:

So do I, I was never a big fan of him but I thank him for his service and wish him all the best.

I hope we get a midfielder in his place with scoring abilities.

2 Likes

Camavinga! :wink:

1 Like

He’s been shit but he’s been run into the ground. As has Robertson whose form has also plummeted but no one mentions it.

1 Like

Maybe he should have been played in defence instead of Henderson.

1 Like

The downsides are not getting a transfer fee and having to spend to spend to replace him. I believe the midfield engine room is the most important part of any side and ours is simply not up to scratch at the moment. Gini is anonymous and Thiago looks a bad fit especially with Henderson and Fabinho unfit or playing at the back.
Did Klopp see the need to upgrade the middle of the park and was Thiago that player? Did he see a trio of Hendo, Fab and Thiago as our 1st choice 3 this season.
I’m a fan of Thiago and was all for his signing but so far he has been below what I had hoped he would bring to the side. Obviously he’s had a bad injury but i think the jury should be out until we see how he performs when we are at full strenght.
Gini is obviously heading to Spain. Good luck to him, by in large he’s been a good servant for the club. I don’t think he’s a good fit for Barcelona but no doubt he’ll get a decent contract and make a lot of money in his final few years.

3 Likes

Hasn’t he got a precontract signed?

No idea, someone might know. It seems he and the club are keeping the info back as they all surely know. Our club unfortunately have really bad communication with fans (not like France at all where the fans let the club know they are not happy). I understand perhaps it’s to protect Gini as he’s playing so shit atm but in the long run it’s will just get worst, you need balls in any sport and we’re just not showing any.