Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

Yeah, he’s found his way at the top level being a nice quiet hard working central midfielder. I’m sure he’s one of the main guys in the dressing room, but in a different way to Hendo, Millie or Virgil. With the armband I have absolutely no issue there, you still need everyone to play their part. And we’re not a team that was assembled yesterday.

2 Likes

I don’t understand how Hendo used to be branded ‘mr sideways and backwards pass’ - someone who rakes 40 yard through balls, when Gini is the most unimaginative person with a football i think i’ve ever seen. He seems to always fly under the radar and the other midfielders take the slack for his short comings. His passing map is never more than a 5 yard pass to whoever is beside or behind him. Not good enough for someone of his supposed quality imo.

4 Likes

I think his departure will be a blessing in disguise.

4 Likes

I miss that heady two years when we were really good and the fans didn’t feel the need to get on individual players backs. We were a collective, and even when players were on the fringes or not up there in ability with the very best, we understood that they were a team and everyone played their part, even if a small one.

Now here we are at the tail end of a ropey season in which we’ve had some dreadful luck, and we’ve snapped straight back to binning off half a world champion team, and slagging off individual players.

Wijnaldum has been an integral part of the European Cup, Premier League, and World Champions. He has been there while we’ve climbed the football ladder from also rans to the best team on the planet. And he is never, ever injured. And even in this shit injury ravaged season, he has been the one player who Klopp has been able to turn to week in, week out, again and again and again.

The idea that we won’t miss him is patently absurd.

If all our midfielders had the same durability as Wijnaldum, then you could argue that Keita, Jones, Henderson, Thiago and Milner is a sound midfield and can pick up after him. But three of those lads are injury prone, one is 35, and the other is 20.

He will need replacing, and he will be missed.

9 Likes

So do I, the club and he needs something new.

1 Like

Fab was also ball watching and had no idea where Modric was, saying that Gini was woeful in the game

I would like a couple of strong pacy midfielders, ours for me lack pace!

1 Like

That was a laughable performance from him today. He’s supposed to be a leader and one of our most experienced players but he’s all too happy to pass the responsibility to anyone else.

Taking the piss and waiting for the season to finish, not the player we’ve seen up until 2021.

2 Likes

He had a run forward and another player making a run beyond and inexplicably turned back. Klopp was having a right ol tantrum on the sideline when that happened.

3 Likes

A little bit invisible today, yeah. Went back to RCM with Millie protecting more from LCM. Even as a not so gifted right footer on the right side and a bit more freedom, still did basically nothing.

Poor today even Klopp had a go at him for going backwards.

He was OK today (I thought the whole team played well, bar the finishing) but Wijnsldum also happened to have the worst sixty seconds of football I’ve seen from a Liverpool player in years :laughing:

1 Like

He was the cause of Villa’s goal. Not even a half hearted effort to tackle leaveing everyone else in the lurch. Dis graceful stuff, how can you tackle with both your arms above your head. You can see clearly Fabs moving anticipating a second ball and then Gini the uncommitted fool steps in like a brainless fairy.

1 Like

I don’t think Fabinho reacted particularly quickly either, and Kabak could have got right side of his man after his good interception but he seemed to be ball watching.

Fabs anticipated something and was caught wrong footed but yes he should have held his ground, never rely on Gini tackling anyone!
As soon as Gini didn’ make the effort I closed my eyes as I knew what was going to happen next, it was that predictable (do agrre that Fabs made an error as he moved before seeing if Gini would make a challenge or not).

Not sure if it’s the exhaustion or something else, but he was a Zombie tonight :sob:

That’s just himm, he has no vision, anticipation … I just can not fathom how he has lasted so long … Oh wait it’s that he can play 90 minutes every match.

5 Likes

No, no, it’s more than that. He doesn’t close the opposition anymore. He is just a number on the team-sheet, nothing on the pitch.

I’ll not miss the Wijnaldum ‘Bambi on ice stutter routine’ when he has no idea what to do on the ball. Also had a glorious opportunity tonight. That said, he’s not completely liable for our inability to score in this match.

5 Likes

That’s been my arguement since he came here. Never a player to carry us forward just a number to fill a bit of space. Btw he was ok in the 1st half with Millie playing every position and Fabs getting the tackles in he held the ball well (If I ignore his weak stupid passes he could even get a good).

2 Likes