Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

That is true, even if once we made our subs his inability to choose let alone create was stark naked.

1 Like

He has degraded beyond recognition. He was never stellar, but now he is just shit.

2 Likes

Tbf itā€™s not his fault that Klopp picks him every game even though he doesnā€™t deserve to start.

2 Likes

Before making this thread the talk of the next few days go to the threads of the Front3 and ask why they werenā€™t able to do what they get paid for - finding that back of the net.

Team selection of the Back8 was spot on. Not sure what anyone on that bench could have done better than Gini tonight.

To even think about coming here to make him a scapegoat or something :man_facepalming:t4:

Just bringing the fucking formation we used against Arsenal recently, OK?

1 Like

Heā€™s always been ā€˜just shitā€™ imo so nothing has changed except many now agree with me so I can voice it (and even end up defending him) and I no longer have to try and find encouraging things about him.

He also had a golden opportunity. Part of the reason we struggle is if the front line donā€™t find the back of the net then weā€™re basically screwed. Fair enough, itā€™s the front threeā€™s job but goals from elsewhere does help a bit every now and then.

He plays like I have seen hem do over the years in Holland and England. He works hard, does not score much but what really get to me is all the backward passing and with the wrong weigh. Even when he goes forward he stops and plays the ball backwards, how this simple footballer can be the captain of Liverpool is beyond me.

Perhaps Klopp should put him on the bench every match and bring him on in the second half, it gives him so much fire he scored twice. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just donā€™t shoot Gini and Iā€™m fine with you.

In fact, stay away from the final third.

:joy:

I am concerned that @Flobs might.

2 Likes

Is all the shit being thrown at Gini some sort of self preservation thing, so peopleā€™s feelings arenā€™t all hurt when he leaves?

His performance tonight was immense, technically brilliant on the ball, always willing to receive it under the pressure, and continually recycling possession. The kind of stuff we used to get on Hendoā€™s back for until we realised itā€™s actually really important. But all I see in the post match are people slagging him off.

That moment when played the ball on the turn with his shoulder and took two Madrid players out of the game.

7 Likes

I think I watched the same game as you tonight.

1 Like

Not for me, I think most on here would vouch for that.

Yes he looked ok alongside Millie and Fabs, said so before. Only his feable passes, lack of vision, anticipation and respect of rhythm and courage letting him down.
Then once we left him in midfield with Thiago it became apparent he offers nothing. Even Nat offers more going forward. In fact he stretches the rest of the team like you would hope our players would stretch the opposition.

I think others (than me) are realising now how in effective he is.

I wouldnā€™t do that as the frustration to do such a thing comes when watching a match and disabling a player during a match is something I wouldnā€™t even do to th opposition. :wink:

1 Like

Each to their own, and all that, but fuck me, thatā€™s batshit.

Great va mod taking the discussion into the insult realm, well done!

Due to his performances over the past year, nobody is throwing big money at him. He should have signed an extension, and right now I would rather not have him just so that Jurgen is forced to use someone else.

Completely agree with Gini on the turn. He actually does that pretty well. Itā€™s what happens after that heā€™s extremely poor at. Weā€™re watching him turn two players on a dime then run forward, stop, stutter, raise his hands to keep balance, stutter, look around, go back.

Genuinely reminds me of what we used to say about Lallana before Klopp got him playing; itā€™s not his first touch thatā€™s the problem, itā€™s the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7thā€¦ We all see the game differently, granted, but Gini is not progressing this team at all although, as I mentioned before, he was not completely liable for our inability to score tonight but we can surely expect some sort of goal contribution to help the team out of dire straits and itā€™s just not happening. He is as guilty as any for how stale and predictable we have become in general

5 Likes

Saying Gini lacks courage is batshit. The lad is always available for a pass, even with four opposition players round him.

Christ but this is tiresome. Itā€™s a neat line from Lucas, through Hendo to Gini. There is always one player on the receiving end of dogs abuse because they do a job in the team the fans struggle to appreciate. It isnā€™t all showboat passing and scoring goals. Someone has to be the base for others to work on. Someone has to do the dirty stuff.

Look, he was poor last week, amongst a midfield that just didnā€™t function. But he was excellent last night. Did everything that could be asked of him. He got stuck into tackles, disrupted the midfield passing, and kept the ball moving. The lads ahead of him couldnā€™t do anything with the platform that him and Milner provided, thatā€™s not on them. They did their job.

4 Likes

I knew that a long time ago but the moment he signs a contract elsewhere I will thank him for his two Barcelona goals, wish him all the best and be extremely happy he is gone.

1 Like